The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Goosen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goosen
    Posted: 29 December 2019 at 19:16
14* light south/east wind, and very dark, but clear.
Three hours before shooting time.
We load up our back packs 5 dozen flocked Silhouettes.
5 dozen "bag" fold up decoys. Two Ion drills and long bits to auger in to the frozen stubble field.
2, 12 gauge pump shotguns, shell vests ,full of shells, plus 2 extra boxes each.
Calls, guillys ,heavy out clothing, gloves, shooting muffs, drinks snacks, and a fox pro.
It was a mile and a half hike across several cut wheat strips and summer fallow. It took most of two hours to set the decoys in the frozen ground and 40 minute hike with the 50 pound packs.

All set up and well hidden, we wait. And wait, And wait.
Sun come up and nothing. About an hour went by and the temp dropped we shivered laying on the frozen dirt.
Some coyotes lit up about a mile away, distracting us from the no show geese and cold. Quickly we shifted in there direction and dug out the foxpro and answered them back. Worked with them for an hour just could not interest them in an early morning fight. 

Back to the goose hunting. We waited and waited and shivered. By noon we figured the geese had plans elsewhere. Pulling the decoys did not take as long, but packing them back up with numb fingers and tows made for tenuous work. The first half mile felt good , getting blood back in to all our digits. But the other mile was all work and about all I could do. Loaded it all back in to the truck, a nice cup of ice cold coffee and we set off back home. We roll in to town only to see the rive had complacently frozen over last night, all the geese where gone.
Dang
That was a LOT of work just for a hike in a wheat field...

Edited by d4570 - 29 December 2019 at 19:20
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 20:43
Dang. That sucks. At least you got to hear some coyotes. 

Once the geese are gone, Is it all coyotes from now until spring?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2019 at 13:25
This morning I find this almost in my back yard....

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2020 at 01:15
It looks like they're taunting you D. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:26
D, the field behind the Walmart always has geese.......and some gopherss too, if I recall!!!!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 13:44
YUPClap
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 18:01
Tuff luck for all that effort.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2020 at 09:49
Our late season ended satruday.  I missed it all (back/knee).  Neuphew went out and did good usually 2 canada a day.  Satruday he got one.  We still have open water and he hunts a swamp.  My duck boat is crying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic