The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

On-X Hunt chip for GPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On-X Hunt chip for GPS
    Posted: 27 December 2019 at 19:03
Have any of you ever updated an old On-x chip? 

My chip is about 6 or 7 years old. I noticed this year while hunting when I looked at a buddys GPS that their are some cool updates. The one I liked the most was it showed walk in areas. 

I want to update, but I don't know if it would be better to update the chip I have now or buy a new chip. 

Any thoughts?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 19:19
HUMM??
Not sure. The boy take care of my that way.
They could be updated at work for all I know...
A new one is like $99 bucks I think and you can by forever up dates for more I do believe.
Well worth the price at any price to me.

Edited by d4570 - 27 December 2019 at 19:21
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 22:09
Thanks D. 

I'll look at their web site and see if I can figure out how to update what I have. 

Do you know how often he updates yours?

It's definately worth the price. A lot of places I go have public and private land mixed. It can be spotty. It's nice to know where you're at. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 23:05
OK. I looked at their web site and you can get a premium (one state) membership for $29.99 a year. The Elite (all 50 states) membership is $59.99 a year (I think). 

Anyway, with either of these memberships you can update your chip as often as you want. You also can download their app and use it with a smart phone. 

From what their web site says it looks pretty easy to do the update to the chip. 

Camofire has the memberships for something like $17.99. You just have to wait until they have it again. 

Wing master
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 10:44
Wing,
   The On-X map people started here in Missoula about 13 years ago.  At that time is was a 2 person business.  I was one of the first 25 to purchase their system.  It was a computer download only then.  Now they have built a large new building to house their over 80 employees and are nation wide.
  Last fall I purchased their $29 per year smart phone subscription and got 2 GPS chips upgraded free.
   The smart phone system works with and without cell service.  If you know where you want the off grid map  all you do is bring it up on the phone, define the area ahead of time , click off grid, and you are set to go.  The satellites ping your phone just like your GPS for your location.  Pretty neat.
  It will show your position, you can track yourself like a GPS, you can see private land ownership, Block management, Google Earth and more.  I'm still learning how to use the many features.  What I really like is while hunting a new area I can see exactly where I am in Google Earth in relation to the surrounding terrain.
  At home I use my computer large screen to search new hunting areas and places I've been.  If I mark a way point on my computer it comes up on my phone On-X program via Bluetooth.  And from the phone to the computer as well.
   Also on the computer screen the Google Earth mode is so clear that in some areas I can Identify PD mounds.  At home it's so nice to toggle back and forth from the computer to phone.
   I don't know if Wyoming has the land ownership feature like Montana.  I can drive around Missoula and the state and see who owns every piece of property.  A nice feature for hunting and more.
    All in all, it's worth cost.
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 08:41
Is there a particular GPS this works with? I have never used, or even seen it for that matter, but it does interest me.
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 10:57
Maple Hill,
  My knowledge of the On-X system for the smart phone is somewhat limited because I just started using it this past Fall.  The GPS brand that the On-X system works on is Garmin.  You would have to go to their web site to find out exactly what features are built in for your state.  Do you have a smart phone?  If not, you can still you use your Garmin GPS for most features except Google Earth  (I think)
As I look at my phone right now, it indicates I have layers I can select for:
MT private lands
MT Gov. lands
MT hunting districts
MT block management
MT restricted areas
CWD management areas
Also when I view my phone right not I see my location---my house on Google Earth, my property boundary and others nearby, and the owner's names of those properties.
THIS MAPPING SYSTEM IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.
Google "On-x" and check out their web site.
You might ask if others are using this system as well.  It they're not they probably will be in the future.
Good luck.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 15:28
I will have to check it out. I have Garmin GPS and a smart phone. I'll do some research and have it before my next trip out there next fall
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 20:57
Thanks Lizard. Just looking I think they have the same features for Wyoming that they have for Montana. 

MapleHill, Like D said earlier, If you hunt public land it's definately worth the price. I don't have any idea how to use everything it will do on my GPS and it's still a valuable tool. 

Wing master
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2019 at 16:25
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2020 at 01:17
Thanks Lizard. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:16
I have the 2019 Garmin chip for Montana, $99.

works great.

The chips are not nearly as good in the EAST.  the West has VER LARGE blocks of public land, so they have those easily in the system.  IN the east not much Fed lands and those are usually post, along with private lands so x-map info isn't as needed.  I've looked at NY and PA  chips but decided they had little value for me.  My GPS  works just fine.

Chip installs in less than 2 minutes, most places will even put it in for you.  then it toggles on and off as you want.

Edited by BEAR - 02 January 2020 at 10:17
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2020 at 17:20
Well, I waited and sure enough Camofire had the update again for $17.99. 

I haven't updated my GPS yet, but I did download the phone app. 

I was looking at the layers and they have a prairie dog town layer. It shows a lot of prairie dog towns that I didn't know about. I also looked at several that I know of and a few of them are not on the program. 

I plan on checking some of them out this summer. If half of the places that are on the map really has a prairie dog town it will be a lot more than I know of now. 

They must update it pretty often because the prairie dog town that WAS north of Recluse that got shot out isn't shown on the map. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 06:18
You shoot out one PD town and some people just don't forget.

Last year I bought the chip at Rocky Mountain; couldn't be happier.  Unfortunately the eastern states maps are not as good.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 08:17
I am kinda starting to think I should have got the one for all 50 states. I don't go anywhere very often, but if I ever did I think it would be worth the money. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 10:30
The chip is really good for hunting  where property lines are important.

My car Garmin is portable and works fine for other states.

Mos people are just using the app for their phones.  We handheld GPS folks are  'past history'.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 17:27
You're right Bear. I have never been very High tech. I thought getting a GPS was moving into the 21st century. 

I do still use my maps. some of them need updated. 

Wing master
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 20:39
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

I do still use my maps. some of them need updated. 
Wing master
The GPS shows a 4X4 piece  of a map your maps are 24x24 ish
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 21:26
Maps schmaps! I'm still using rocks and stars for navigation!

Moved into the twentieth century a while back but still staying close to home.....only have a mile of line for my rotary dial!

I'm just actually one of those weird people that have never been lost....misplaced a time or two, but never lost. Even in the fog I can feel north. That with good bearing and common sense, just never got in a position enough to be lost. You guys out west travel much greater distances with greatly enhanced skylines, completely understand relative closeness is at a different scale. Daughter recently figured that out when she visited the big sky and finally understood what I meant when trying to explain it. Even though I was born in Montana, I consider myself a tourist there anymore. It's not my haunt or my personal backyard anymore. Just wish it was. If I was to hunt it by myself, GPS would be a requirement, not just a handy tool. Those chances are dwindling which is why I live vicariously through you guys on the hunts. So by all means...DON'T GET LOST!!!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 08:27
Never need the GPS for navigation out west...no trees, no brush, well defined terain.  But get involved in tracking a deer or 'ote in Pennsylvania mountains, and you might just spend a night sleeping in the laurel!

I alway have 2 compass on me.  Pin on, and a heavy brass mil spec one.  If I know the topo, they work well.  But when 2 miles from the car in deep 'stuff' a Gps will get you back to the truck the fasted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic