The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

8mm project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8mm project
    Posted: 27 December 2019 at 10:52
8mm project as it stands.
Still needs to be bedded ,if necessary.
I'll zero it at 245 yards, that should give me an 8" target zone from 100 to 400 yards.
And of course develop a load.
Looking to try Sierra 220's and Barnes tsx 200 gr.
Powder maybe reloader 26, Magpro.

Homemade dead mule.
Burris 4 1/2 x 14 droptine scope.
Factory take off stock and squishy recoil pad.
The claw sling.
120 factory shells and 100 brass.
So far all in I have under $800 in to her.
Still need dies.ClapClap

Edited by d4570 - 27 December 2019 at 10:54
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 12:29

Look'n good!Smile
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 16:07
Looks good D! Will make a good "heavy hitter" for you!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 18:58
I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots. I have never had a rifle that I can't get to shoot acceptable groups with a perticular hand load. 

Sometimes it takes a while to find that load though.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 19:36
It already shot very well I think even with the iron sights.
We always tweak till they shoot bug holes.
Some will shoot anything like my 22/250 TC.
 The 6 was kinda picky but it is a Laser with the proper load.
The boy has a 3006 that is giving him fits.
Just can't get any better then an inch and a half. 
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 22:02
That's pretty much what I've found. I have a 22-250 that should shoot anything good. I tried about 10 different bullets and at least 5 different powders and every combination of them I could come up with. Nothing better than 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I finally found the right combination and it shoots 3/4 inch groups all day long. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2019 at 22:05
D, I don't think you should have much trouble getting a decent group out of it. Mine likes several different combos, 1" groups were not too difficult to come by. Good luck with it.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 08:06
Hill.
 Did you ever shoot it long distances?
I know back there, 200 yards is long for hunting.
You know out here If it was possible you could shoot here MILES, not yards. Just wondering what you found out at like 400 and 500 yards and beyond.
I'm planing on trying it after I get a load I like.
 The factory loads are a bit under loaded I feel.
From what I can find the 180's are rolling about 2700 fps and the 220 are under that.
I'm looking for over 3000 with 200 gr and just under with the 220's.
It looks like you cant get any of the handmade bullets over like 250 gr to feed in from the magazine you have to single feed them in.
It sure would be fun to try some 264 gr all copper I found but there over $5 a bullet in lots of 20. Dang they would have to be over 2" long...
A 3"+ case would make a 5" shell whoo who !Shocked

Edited by d4570 - 28 December 2019 at 08:08
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 08:38
D, never shot it over 100yds. I think a 200 or 220gr bullet would be the cat's meow for elk or moose size game. I have the old RCBS ballistic program to figure drop with a particular bullet, that's how I do it out here where I can't shoot the distance I might out there. 
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:22
  Found over the years, the 'most accurate' load published in Lyman manual turns out to be the Best.

I quite usung 'other peoples loads" as these were seldom good for me.  Only 1 rifle (Ruger) that I couldn't get to 1 MOA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic