The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Scope for the 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for the 8
    Posted: 05 December 2019 at 09:58

Burris 4.5 x-14 x -42mm Fullfield II Ballistic Plex Riflescope

It does not have the 5" releaf I was looking for but it has nearly 4".
 After shooting the 700 I think if I'm careful It will work.
I read a bazillion reviews and for $184  bucks it sounds OK for what I shoot. Many have put them on 7 mm rums. 
I have a Cabelas leaver action scope on my 45/70 with 5" releaf but hate the scope. When I change the power setting the POI changes, so I sight it in on #6 and never change it.
I think this one will not do that , I hope, My Redfields don't.
I would get a 'red but the Burris is over $50 cheaper.
I have a factory take off composite stock coming today when I get it I plan on pillar bedding the action. I'm thinking the factory stock will have an enclosed Mag, I'll have to change that with the bottom metal I have.
I plan on taking off the open sight on the rifle to let the scope sit lower, can't see the sights and target anyway.  
Anybody ever hunt Coyotes with an 8?
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 14:00
When you get that blind magazine stock (ADL/SPS) you can use your follower and the mag spring out of your hunged floor plate.  Might want a slight shim on the sides of the well to let the spring 'slide' smoothly.

The factory part is called a "magazine box".  but they seem to work on both wood and plastic stocks.  https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F200560  
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 14:27
Cool thanks.
I watched a you tube on how to put in a hinged mag in a closed factory plastic stock, May try that .
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 16:48
Remember that floorplate just weakens the stock.

My 700s all have solid floorplate area, and the mag well is also filled 3/8 inch deep in hard epoxy to make the stock more rigid.  sure it cuts mag capacity to 2 shells...more than I ever need to hunt.

For accuracy I have a number of Choate Sniper stocks, heavy but absolutely the most accurate.  Mine have only 2 large vee-blocks to hold the action (700 actions a re tubular).  Shot my griz with one of these.  barrel channel is very large so BDL barrels are really very floated.  My 550 yad shot in a bean field whitetail was with a 300 RUM in one of these.

If it looks to be something you might like to try let me know, I know where you can get one at a very attractive price.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 17:49
I'll know more when I get in to it.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 17:49
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 18:03
YUP the same scope but $150 cheaper.Clap
Good to hear it is a good scope I never had any Burris scope or glass. 
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 18:12
I have ONE Burris scope....bought it back around 1972ish....It is a 2-7x?? and is a Compact scope for a compact rifle I built back then. Has been a good scope but only use for a deer hunt around here in the heavy wooded lands. Mostly leave setting on 2x to get the most view area & most light. It is a not the very best light gatherer very early or later evenings. I think due to nearly 40yr old optics and small size, a 1" tube also. Burris rings also....nice setup for what I use it for. Never a mechanical or moisture issue in all these years. Duplex type reticle.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 18:22
Good reviews.
 BUT they always say "For the price"
That is to me not a great review. 
Hope it takes big recoil, let you know I suppose. 
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2019 at 02:45
Since I switched to Nikon, nothing comes close until you get into the high dollar optics. Clarity on the Monarchs, and even the entry level Prostaffs are superb. The Monarch 3 can be had in a 4x16x40,(or 50), in either 1 in or 30mm tubes. I have one on one of my 375's and recoil has no effect on it, even in a TSOB ring set that has no give. Clarity and light gathering on them are better then the Vortex Diamondback I have on my 7mm. Price is a bit more, but worth it. I have seen no change in impact with the adjustments either. For that matter, I have a prostaff on my other 375. Basic 3x9x40 30mm and they run around 125-150. Never any issue with them. I have an older Burris on one of my 7's, probably from the 80's and I keep it on 6x for the same reasons as you do. Clarity is not the best either. I have heard they have improved a lot since then and I hope to hear your take on the new versions.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2019 at 08:44
All my heavy hitters wear Leupold.  For my accurate 22s (rimfire and centerfire) I've gone to the new Weaver Grand Slam with side focus.  Very good glass.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2019 at 19:44
New stock fits perfect including the bottom metal

Old stock save for another project.

I like the new stock a lot better.
I'm going to put a tube of lead shot in the empty space under the new limb saver. The plastic stock is right at a pound lighter then the wood. With all that said I just want to say:
I think all the people that complain and get rid of this caliber because of recoil are a bunch of pussy's!
I shot 20 rounds today before I changed the stock laying down off bags with out a mark on my solder or collar bone.
I know our projected reloads will pound a little harder then the factory but they ARE 220 gr bullets.
WOW did it need cleaning, we worked on it for 3 hours and it still needs work, the trigger went from a 9 pound pull to around 4 or 5.
I think with some more cleaning and air It may be even less.
Black goo and crud came out of the barrel and bolt. I think we got them all cleaned up now.
But even like that I shot under an 1 1/2 at 100, 3 at 200, and like 5 at 300, with iron sights, no less. At 300 the round bead in the front sight completely covered the box and target we where shooting.
We shot 6 other rifles testing loads , the 338/378 did about 2" at 300 yards. I wanted to check the factory speeds but for what ever reason We could not get the magnetospeed to work on the 8, the front sight would not let us get the bayonet to line up right I think.
Dang I wanted to get a base line , we will try again, after I get a scope on it and take off the front and rear sights.
Coming together, after the final cleaning and fitting I'm going to bed it.
COOL GUNClapClapClap

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 05:57
Sounds like you have another good rifle.  congratulations.

Not sure what you call the LimbSaver.  I think of that name as an archery device to dampen the vibration of the limbs of bows and strings??????
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 07:27
That will be an awesome hunting rifle! The recoil is comparable to the 300Wby, if that bothers ya, don't shoot it! It will leave ya sore after a box down it at the range, but for hunting it won't bother! I use a lead sled for load development, so that helps alot. It is not a big bore African round, 458WM, 416Rigby, or even 375HH, but is more than the '06 or 270. Good luck D, I like the looks of it!  
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Sounds like you have another good rifle.  congratulations.

Not sure what you call the LimbSaver.  I think of that name as an archery device to dampen the vibration of the limbs of bows and strings??????

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 09:02
Neat looking rifle and sure shoots great looks like. Which 8 caliber is it? forgot or missed when you said before. 8mm RUM or ?????
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 09:18
Originally posted by Irish Bird Dog Irish Bird Dog wrote:

Neat looking rifle and sure shoots great looks like. Which 8 caliber is it? forgot or missed when you said before. 8mm RUM or ?????

The 8 rum is on a 404 Jeffery case the 8 rem mag is on a blown out 375 H&H case.
Mine is the 8mm rem mag., Very nearly the same animal.Star
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 10:54
Thanks for the refresherWink....keep up posted on how it goes with the scope system.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2019 at 10:58
got ya.  Recoil pad.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2019 at 01:10
That's going to be a good one. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic