The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Crimped primer pockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimped primer pockets
    Posted: 24 November 2019 at 19:08
I just ran across a good price on military surplus Lake City .308 ammo. They have crimped primer pockets. 

I plan on saving the brass to reload. Have any of you swaged or reamed primer pockets on surplus brass? What tool did you use? Do you recommend it or something else?

Dillon makes a tool that looks pretty good but is expensive. RCBS makes a die that works in a press. 

Is it even worth doing?

Thoughts?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 06:44
Just thoughts,
years ago I did some GI brass.  I used a pocket knife; with a little practice it worked.

Unless you are shooting a lot; Id avoid going GI.  The brass is made to operate in M60 machine guns and is thicker so you need to adjust your load data to account for less volume.  That means you can't mix the GI with commerical brass when reloading.

Hornady 308 cases sell new for about $20 per 50.  So for the cost of a primer tool you can get 50 virgin brass.  Once fired 308 commerical brass is usually is usually less than  $12 per 50 at gun shows.

788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 07:12
My case mouth chamfer tool has a pin that fits in my cordless drill and removes the crimp pretty well.  I've used it for LC and scrounged 45 cases.  I think it's an RCBS.

Good luck, 788

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 00:24
Thanks guys. 

You guys got me to thinking. 

I looked at the place I but .45 ACP brass for the leagues and matches I have been shooting. They have 500 mixed headstamp once fired for $61.00. That's even polished. I don't think it would be worth it to try and save the Lake City brass. 

They have all Remington for $84.00. It's basically just ammo for blasting and an ocasional trip to a prairie dog town. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 01:40
 never understood how one knows that it is "once fired".  5 firings and toss then into my polisher and they look like new; but the case necks are hardened and would need annealed.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 14:13
On our low volume calibers we mark the boxes with how many times the brass has been fired.
Things like my 6mm varmints and the boys 223, and even the 22/250.
No real way to tell you have 1000 on hand and just grab a box and shoot 200 or 300 at a time.
 The boy looks them over before loading them.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 01:39
I've always wondered that too Bear. I guess I would have to take their word for it. 

I never have kept track of how many times a case has been loaded. I just look at them before I load them again. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 03:59
I figure, that brass is most likely range pickup; so who really knows.  Probably not even the guy selling it.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2019 at 22:10
I'm sure you're right Bear. 

The place I have been buying brass is Diamond K brass. Everything I have got from them so far has been as good or better than I expected. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 11:24
I have a Franklin Armory brass prep unit that Trims, chamfers inside neck &  cleans up outside mouth PLUS can also remove the primer pocket crimp from military brass. 

link to picture.....mine is the Platimum Series

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 06 April 2020 at 11:29
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 12:37
IBD  if it only decapped and caught the dead primer.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 12:45
bear.....buy a Lee Handpress with universal decapping die for it and the primers are caught in the press....just need to m-t them after a bunch.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 23:37
Thanks for the info IBD. 

Do you like the case trimmer? 

I have an old Forrester and it works good but it's my least favorite reloading tool I have.

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 23:48
WM.....I like it fine and it works good too. When you find yourself with 700+ pcs brass to trim and remove the military primer crimp the old hand tools not so good. For years I have been using a Lyman trimmer, hand cranking it....even sometimes the Lee hand tool method for the few odd ball cartridges I have around. But those are not high volume nor easy on the hands/fingers....but then still hands/fingers get tired with the Franklin unit as it needs to be fed one at a time by hand. But the motor does the turning which is a big plus. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 08:29
Thanks IBD.  I see the dead primers go into the ram...holds about 50 prrimes, then remove the shell holder and dump out.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 10:51
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Thanks IBD.  I see the dead primers go into the ram...holds about 50 prrimes, then remove the shell holder and dump out.

Right bear but maybe with your bad hands it might be too much/hard on them for lots of depriming. 
But then you could just have the missus do that part.Wink

That Lee Handpress just might be the ticket (with set of loading dies/components/powder dipper etc for bugout gun) for the long term bugout setup for reloading. It can do all a press can with loading dies just lots slower. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 11:23
15 years ago I bought one, back in the days of Midway flyers, great price and no shipping.  Never used (paid $9); and a kid on net wanted to reload.  So I sent him the press, dies for 30-30 and a dipper to get him started. (never got a thank you).  But I hope he liked it and is now reloading.

Don't need the 'breech lock'  stuff.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 11:54
I agree mostly about the breech lock stuff. Tho not a bad concept for single stage presses if you use 3 die set for loading. I just have several single stage presses, one fer each die.Wink
They most likely don't offer the older version anymore I'd guess for just screw in the die. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 12:52
Never saw the 'time saving on the breech block jaz.  I can turn a 7/8" die in pretty quickly.  did at one time have 3 single stage presses and did like you.  then realized each die was adjusted for a different press.  gave 2 away, now every die I have is adjusted for just my RCBS.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2020 at 18:45
Thanks IBD

I am going to look at that. If I had something better I would probably trim cases more often. As it is, I don't trim cases until they are over max length. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic