The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.308 match load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 match load
    Posted: 24 March 2020 at 00:53
It sounds like the perfect choice for a hunker down gun. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 00:51
It's for my finicky AR-10. It's my SHTF .308 semi with lotsa magazine/anything from 100 to 1200 yard grab and hunker tool.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 00:46
Let us know what you come up with for a powder and charge weight and how it shoots. 

I am always up for trying a different load. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 20:37
Been too long since I loaded for sure. Going with the 175 gr. ELD-X...components are getting scarce.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 21:51
I thought I gave you load already, I don't see it.

I use either IMR4064 or IMR4320, slightly compressed load, fed GM210M, if I can get them, otherwise CCI. They both like to be run hard and full cases, no matter bullet weight.

I shoot mostly 155gr palma for practice, BC's so bad, it makes shooting 243 115gr DTAC or 260 147gr, seem like cheating. I also use a bunch of 125gr BT, either full out or reduced 4895 load for kids.

I never had great success with varget and when it got to find 20yrs ago, I switched to IMR 4320. IMR 4064 is a little more accurate, but it's a pain to load, grains are as long as cordite, but darn near.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2019 at 20:04
JSG

My load is 43.8 grains of Varget and a 150 Sierra Pro Hunter. 

Yes, It's not really heavy or light but accurate as hell in my Mountain Rifle. 

According to my Hornady Book, 44.9 grains is max. 

I have 2 sierra manuals and neither of them have a load using Varget. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 26 September 2019 at 20:05
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 07:19
My go to load has been 41 grains of IMR4895, a CCI BR primer, underneath either a 169 gr Sierra MatchKing for paper or a 170 gr, Hornady FP for hunting.  My brother put me onto this one when he was shooting his M1A.  Great accuracy.  Good luck.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 01:35
Sure do! Is it a little on the warm side? I'm loading for my AR-10 in 7.62x51 and it sometimes fails to cycle with mild hunting loads. Still going to be mostly a paper puncher but gonna pull double duty on varmints with it now that they are legal in PA for such things....groundhogs beware!...and maybe even yote's
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 00:47
I started using Federal Match primers a few years ago. I don't know if they are better than the CCI's I used before that but I have Peace of mind. 

I load .308's with 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and Varget. I don't remember the exact powder charge, but they are very accurate in my Remington Mountain Rifle. I can get you the powder charge if you want. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 19:36
Gonna be for a gas action NATO so it's got to be somewhat aggressive. How much charge and what primers do you suggest? I'm sure it will have to be tweaked a bit....they always do.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 14:56
I like Hornady   150 gr SST with Varget.

Edited by BEAR - 11 September 2019 at 14:56
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 13:53
Have a little over 5k fed. match cases sitting here that need refilled. Looking at gamekings probably...maybe...anywho, anyone got a pet loading for the 308?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic