The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Making jelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making jelly
    Posted: 23 August 2019 at 20:18

We have had a concord grape plant for 4 or 5 year and this year it made grapes.
Not a lot but enough to make 6 1/2 pints of jelly.
So the little GD and I made jelly today.
We also have a chokecherry tree/bush that makes GOBS of cherry's.
This year was a Banner, normally the birds get them before there ripe. This year the tree out produced them and the branch's where touching the ground. In like 10 minutes we had 15 pounds of deep purple berries. Boiled mashed them and let them drip all night .
We put up 16 1/2 pints of chokecherry jelly today also.
NOW if it all works and sets right we will be set all year.
Want any?Clap
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 00:23
Chokecherry and pepper jelly both work great, eaten alongside/with meat. Chokecherry has enough "bite" to go well with bird and hot pepper jelly works great with game, pork, and beef.

You must be way ahead over there, my grapes are barely showing color and some chokecherries are just turning. My daughter uses what grapes, they want for jelly/juice and I make brandy, out of rest.

My plums didn't overproduce this year, so no plum brandy. Apples did real well, so some may be "jacked"
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 07:31
Your growing season is considerably longer then mine , We can and do often get a killing freeze the first of September.
We can get apples and some plums but seldom grapes and cherries.
Hard pressed to get good corn too...
I never made wine or brandy, The Great aunts did the only wine I drink, almost never, is homemade chokecherry . All for fun and game with the GD, probably give most away.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 08:42
You must of been thinking of "banana belt", "official" growing season here is 125 days VS GF's 145 days, the real gardening season is more like CF's 90 days(Father's Day until grouse opener) VS GF's 110 days (Mother's Day til grouse opener). Grapes I grow (Canadian "ice wine"), plums, and apples start coming off around antelope opener and if birds and bears, don't get into them, can last until deer opener (plums) or Thanksgiving (apples).

I bet the GD, can take care of that grape jelly, pretty easily. If you eat much syrup and still have chokecherries left, it makes the best pancake/waffle syrup. If you've never made syrup, it's as easy or easier than jelly. You just start with sweetened juice and boil it longer, than old fashioned jelly.

Speaking of Grandkids and grouse, it opens next Sunday, I believe, if kids have their apprentice tag and conservation license, they can get their own limit. I know they must buy some of the 1/2 price tags/licenses, but upland and migratory bird, has conflicting info online, so check first. Time to get the 410 or 28 gauge dusted off. If you don't have either and since you reload shotgun, 20 gauge loaded down, is maybe better option.

Edited by RobertMT - 24 August 2019 at 08:51
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 09:29
Maybe it's our dryness?
Your side of the pile of rocks is always greener then mine.
We never plant anything but onions or potatoes before Memorial day. Labor day is normally the end of any green plant  . AND the doves leave the opening week of dove season.
For years , since the kids where around 3 , we do a Labor day bird hunt. The wife worked for the school district and it would be HER vacation when I took the kids for a 3 day bird hunt.
We still do some hunting on the opener, the GD's aren't much on bird hunting...Cry
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 12:08
I'm taking oldest GS out, weekend after Labor Day, so he can shoot some grouse. Haven't decided, if we're going to do cast and blast, fish morning, grouse mid-day, and fish in evening. I guess it depends on, if SIL wants to camp in area, he can bow hunt in. Take the daughter and both grandkids fishing in morning, while he bow hunts, drop the daughter and youngest GS off for nap, take the oldest out and see if he can shoot a grouse.

I'm going to have him try 410 tomorrow and see if he can use it or the 22, for grouse. I put scope on lil rascal 22 and he does pretty good with it.

Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 12:57
Way to go with the jelly making there d. Way better than store bought stuff too. 

Grouse are meant to be hunted with a shotgun not rifle...we have Ruffed Grouse here...a .410 is usually full choked and not really a kids gun if you do any "on the wing" shooting of grouse..I suppose ok if you shoot them on the ground.....takes an expert to hit a grouse flying thru trees/brush with a full choke .410.Smile

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 25 August 2019 at 12:58
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 15:42
EXACTLY That's why  YOU use a 410 and that's the reason I USE A 12 GAUGE!!!!Big smile
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 15:44
Sharptail and sage grouse we have to use a shot gun, ruff, dusky, and franklin grouse we can use a rifle as well as fall turkey.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 19:59
At our previous house we had Wild grapes on the fence line but they were too small & sour to eat whole but wife cooked them down for the juice to make jelly. Now we have wild blackberries on this property and use them for the juice for jelly here. 

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 25 August 2019 at 20:00
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 22:07
Mountain grouse on this side of state, are mostly ground sluiced and shot with 22 pistols (or rifles by kids). 410 is a bit safer for shooting them out of trees, 12 gauge, if you want to flush them first (but shots are too close, to save much meat). Spruce/Franklin/"Fool hens" are most common down low spruce and dog hair fir patches and it's hard to get them up. Ruffs and Blue/aka "Dusty" grouse are in open enough country, wing shots are more possible.

GS is small 8yrold and he only dry fired 410, after I showed him how to shoot in and had SIL shoot one shot, so GS could see, it wasn't as loud nor as hard kicking as 12ga, which my daughter doesn't like because of recoil. Even low base 2 1/2" seemed too much, for him, so I had him dry fire it a bit and decided to shelf 410, until next fall.

I don't really bird hunt anymore, but do sometimes take cap & ball pistol out, it's a little more challenging for 25yd shot, out of a tree. GS is still going to go out, with me, but will be taking 22 for "squirrels", there are a few "bush bunnies" out, so he may get one of those too. Bush bunnies aren't what you're thinking, get your mind out of gutter, they're a mountain cottontail, smaller in size than ones, you see east of the hill.

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 22:24
Getting back to jelly, daughter came over and her and SIL thinned the apples and picked some of the remaining currents, while the GS did his shooting. She's making some current, apple jelly and maybe some apple butter. I'm not sure, if she was doing straight apple jelly, or adding mint or hot peppers. Kids like mint and mild hot, with meat and the straight apple for toast. Kids ate most of the currents fresh, so she's just making small batch of black and if it turns out good, she'll pick rest and do a full batch. Red current jelly, is a holiday thing, northern Germany/Scandinavian "new world" substitute for Lingonberry jelly, from "home". Black current is "musty" instead of tart.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 14:29
I put some chicken thighs  on the BBQ grill to roast yesterday with some sliced onion and sweet green peppers. 20 Minutes before they where done I slathered on a bunch of fresh chokecherry jelly and let it brown like BBQ sauce.
OUT STANDING !!!!!Clap
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 18:40
Where's the pics of finished jelly? Chicken?

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 19:53
Chicken is history.
I'll get some tomorrow of the jelly.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 22:45
Don't forget to include recipe you used.

I'll try to remember to post pics and recipe, after I do my version.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 13:11
Had de-boned English chicken thighs tonight.  grilled with Jamacian  Jerk  herbs, daughter brought spice back from her vacation.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 15:25

Grape on the left and CC on the right

• 4 cups chokecherry juice
  • ½ cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
  • 3 pkg dry pectin
  • 5½ cups of sugar
  • Instructions
    1. Pour juices in kettle.
    2. Add pectin, stir.
    3. Bring to a boil, add sugar.
    4. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
    5. Remove from heat, skim.
    6. Ladle into jars.
    7. Process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.
    8. Cool undisturbed for 24 hours.
    RobertMT View Drop Down
    .416 Rigby
    .416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 19:01
    Is that 3 teaspoons dry pectin (one package) or three packages, as it reads? Three packs is a lot, did you have trouble with it setting before?

Do you add water to your chokecherries, to get juice started, if so, how much and how long do you cook them, before straining?

or do you mash them and heat until they come to boil, mash again and let drain, overnight through jelly bag?

d4570 View Drop Down
    .416 Rigby
    .416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 19:22
    Is that 3 teaspoons dry pectin (one package) or three packages, as it reads?
    Yes 3 Packs.
    did you have trouble with it setting before?
    Yes very hard to get it to set.
    Do you add water to your chokecherries, to get juice started, if so, how much and how long do you cook them, before straining?
    I add just enough water to cover the berries
    I simmer them for about an hour.
     I them mash them with out crushing the seeds, they contain a poison . Then let it drip through a jelly bag over night.
    It is still cloudy ,and I run them again through the bag only take a few minutes the second tim but help clean it up.
    The grape is way easer to get to set.

Edited by d4570 - 27 August 2019 at 19:23
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic