The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

2008 Polaris Sportsman® 800 EFI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 Polaris Sportsman® 800 EFI
    Posted: 23 June 2019 at 19:03
My neighbor just got a side by side 4wheeler and want to sell his
2008 Polaris Sportsman® 800 EFI.
It looks like he keeps his stuff up very well, Has 2 newer trucks and a huge bass boat all glisten. I just looked at it in his garage very clean
no appeared dents rips or sighs of abuse. I did not start or drive it or look at the mileage. He had it new, I did not notice if it has a winch.
$2500. I did a quick search for value and came up with $2750 to $3820. Should I get it? I did not see if it would fit in the back of my ford. The D-I-L Honda rancher fits with the tail gat closed., That would be nice. 
Should I try for a lower price?
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 20:51
Depends on it's use, if he uses it a lot and doesn't abuse it VS if he only uses it couple times a year. Unless it's worn out, price seems decent, it would go for more around here. I would at least check mileage and ride it, you could always offer less, might be you're already getting "neighbor" price on it.

I would be leery, if he uses it to plow snow, that seems pretty hard on them. I know it's hard on trucks.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 08:32
It isn't a bargain unless YOU need it.  What would be your uuse for it?  

I know a lot of folks in GF run ATVs on the streets daily, that is tough use on gear boxes/tires/ and drives.

Price seems good; but only if it fits your truck.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 15:25
Best bet is to check it out with a dealer maybe for value...I see lots of Polaris units out there..see if the steering is tight & the CV universals are tight.....also, an 800 engine will pull a lot of 'yotes back to the truck!LOL
About plowing snow with a 4x4 ATV...I have been using mine to plow snow for 11 winters.....only appreciable wear is on the winch cable at the hook end. Don't abuse the unit when plowing and keep good maintenance on it....ATV brand/size might be an issue with plowing causing issues...mine has an automatic tranny system...doubt there are many manual sifters around anymore.
The plow is 60" wide and shaped like a "county plow" on highway truck plows which helps direct snow away from the unit to the side.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 18:16
He is a GOOD neighbor, helpful and never says much.
 The way he take car of his trucks I'm sure it was well maintained.
It has hauled out a few elk...
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2019 at 07:42
Well Dang.
While I was out with the GD killing Pdogs and doging tornados my neighbor sold the 4wheeler.
I got home in time to see them loading it up in the back of a red ford truck identical to mine . AND yes the tail gate would close....
Just was not meant to be I guess.OuchConfusedCry

Edited by d4570 - 29 June 2019 at 07:44
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2019 at 08:25
my philosophy about wanting to buy anything like that is.......if it can't happen for any reason there will ALWAYS be another one come along as good or even better. Smile
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2019 at 14:20
i always feel...it wasn't meant for me!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2019 at 17:48
If I want it, I go for it, otherwise when it sells that quick, I figured I missed deal. If it had been 450 or 500, I would've thought about driving to falls to get it, 800's too big, for what I want. I need/want a 350-500 street legal, one to take along camping, 2wd is enough for what I want.

40yrs ago, I had fiberglass body Corvair "spider" buggy, it was a kick. I took motor/transaxle out and put in a trike, even with stretched springer front end, with the turbo, you could air, through all the gears. About triple bug's power, parts were real hard to get, even 40yrs ago.

I've looked at bug buggy prices and everyone must use gold plating, for price they want now. You could get engine kits in 80s for $300, they now want $3K.

Edited by RobertMT - 29 June 2019 at 17:49
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic