The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

camo clothing for hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: camo clothing for hunting
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 07:41
Camo clothing is now a designer thing.

For camo to work it must match the surroundings.  Seems most people think if it is labelled 'RealTree' or other brand, it will work.

Most camo is made for the south.  I see guys hunting west in camo that is made for whitetail eastern hardwoods...to the stick out.  
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 13:58
I think camo is overrated. Does it help yes it does but I think movement and wind is way more important than camo. I have had some real good camo that matches the surrounding and animals will still pick me up if I move wrong. The flip side is I have been dressed in florescent orange for rifle season and been sitting perfectly still at the base of a tree with no cover but good wind and had animals walk within 5 feet of me. I usually buy the camo more for the function and durability of the material than the camo itself.
SW Montana
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 18:20
I like camo, I wore camo when camo was not "COOL"
I have leisure weir camo, work camo, and camo base layer.
I have "Good" camo for hunting, whites, browns, greens, and waterfowl camos.
 I never use the "Good" stuff for anything but it's intended purpose .
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 03:04
For medium and large game, no real point. They are all colorblind or have poor vision. Movement and smell are the tip offs more so then anything you can wear. Varmints, predators and birds are a completely different realm as they have incredible vision and a matching camouflage helps.

Shot a dandy of an 8 point at less then 20 feet during archery season many years ago. I walked in late with clothes fresh out of the dryer...jeans and an old field jacket, wind at my back and smoking a cigarette. Deer are stupid during rut, it's why I quit archery. That and the two I shot before it were in fields and they let me walk up to them and shoot them. Well...snuck up to within 10 feet in a field, same difference.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 08:09
Movement is most important to deer.

Hunting turkey this morning had two bucks walk up to within 5 yards of me.  Because of slight movement of mine, I always hunt from a ground blind.  Got 4 different camo patterns and  a white one.

Watched the bucks for 20 minutes, they were fasinated by my 4 turkey decoys (mine move).  The larger of the bucks, kicked the smaller one "move off".  They periodically rolled back there lips and with extended necks smelled/tasted the wind.  I was downwind.  they never saw mw nor suspected that I was there.

Not at all surprising that deer key into movement, that is the same thing I notice when spoting game.  Occasionally, I'll see a deer ear flap at 100+ yards  the movement triggers my instant interest...same as deer.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 01:17
I think most camo is too dark colored. Maybe that's because I am a wesrerner butI have watched a lot of people walk out into a field wearing camo that I could see better the farther they got from me. 

A few years ago I was antelope hunting with a guy that was wearing a pair of light tan kakie pants. I watched him walk out into the field and after about 100 yards I absoulutly couldn't see anything from the waist down. even when he was walking. (sound familiar Bear?) Since then I have thought about getting some light Kakie pants and shirt. I think on the western plains that would be the best camo to wear. At least during big game season. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 27 May 2019 at 01:19
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 20:41
DEER easily can key in to movements cuz their eyes have a 310* range of vision....so they can really see in a pretty big arc around them without turning their heads.
 I think camo Patterns that help Break Up the hunters form would be best and colors secondary to some degree altho colors/patterns should be adapted to the season and type of vegetation/terrain you are looking for game in. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 08:30
I've often thought the best pattern would be to have the arms a separt color from the body.  then the animal doesn't see aa human silhouette when a hand is moved?
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 10:59
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

I've often thought the best pattern would be to have the arms a separt color from the body.  then the animal doesn't see aa human silhouette when a hand is moved?

The VERTICAL shape of a human/hunter is also a BIG tip off to the deer but movement is key to the deer detecting the human hunter & scent too. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic