The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Just a theory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a theory
    Posted: 10 March 2019 at 11:39
You all know me and my passion for calling/killing coyotes.
Next to my family It is my obsession. I try to keep track of any trends in there actions and populations.
I thought I was seeing a downward trend last year, but still was able to get an average amount of responders. The snow was outrages so I talked my self in thinking we just were not able to GET to the coyotes.
This year we have had HUGE amounts of snow and months at a time temps well below normal.
What I have been seeing this year:
Miles and miles of fresh unbroken snow and NO tracks of any kind, rabbit, deer, bird or coyote.
We have been using the snowmobile this year so we ARE able to get to the coyotes. We are not seeing rabbit tracks, no bird tracks to speak of, and few signs of mouse/vole action.
Also it looks like an up tick in eagle/hawk activity.
We hunt every week no mater the weather , we're out a lot.
The few coyotes we are seeing seam un willing to cross the miles of 3 foot deep snow. A definite down turn in populations in my mind.
My Theory
The perfect storm .
More callers.
More predator competition.
Less food.
More snow.
COLD!
I think there is a huge winter die off going on in all areas.
Caused from so little food and extreme weather.
The surviving dogs are moving in to closer contact with area civilization. The ranchers are caving now a great food source and out pens make for much better shelter, Not to miss the fact barn cats and domestic foul, are every where for the picking. 
The fact that we hunt 99.9% public lands make for a double whammy affect on my coyote count.
AND this year is bringing out standing prices for Montana Pale fur.
I just talked with a guy that go over $200 for a FINE heavy fur MP finished... DANG.

Edited by d4570 - 10 March 2019 at 11:41
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2019 at 13:47
In nature...all things are connected.  wildlife are usually in cycles, boom and bust.

Low mouse/vole population would really hurt.  Raptors can be a problem; we just had a pair of bald eagles nest about 2 miles from the house.  they have been flying 25+ miles to larger lakes to get dead fish.  I'm not sre the small lake they are on will support a nesting/breeding pair????
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2019 at 19:18
Just a theory here as well.....Word got out that you guys were on to them and they all moved here! Maybe now if I just go outside and yell loudly that your coming out here to do some hunting they will all just move elsewhere...FAST. Thus saving me a few hundred in gear to go after them.

I think Bear hit the nail on the head though. Grouse and woodcock were in decline this year and have never seen the roadkills cleaned up and picked over with such aplomb. I haven't seen a bunny in months! The raptors and yotes are making due with what they have. Someone hit the male bobcat that was living above the homestead the other night and it disappeared off the road in a matter of hours. I kinda doubt it was for the fur as it was a mangled mess. I have a feeling if we had the same weather as you folks did this year, the predators would starve off quickly. Nature will maintain a balance.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic