The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

artic pac boots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: artic pac boots
    Posted: 25 January 2019 at 11:35
Been sitting inside a cold blind on cold ground.

Feet haven't been cold.  I'm wearing pac boots, you know the rubber bottoms with leather tops and a felt liner.   50 years ago they were Army surplus.....  always wonder how the army had so many and at the battle of the bulge guy feet froze solid?

But I have two pair;  one pair of Sorels, on my 3rd set of felt liners, bought thme in 1970 (48 years old)
And a pair of USA made LaCrosse, 42 years old with syn liners, first pair.

these style boots have no arch support so long distance walking 8 miles in snow will get you feet sore but warm.

I use them for into and out trips of 1 mile or less where I will be sitting, also great for ice fishing.

Is anyone still using these style boots?   a guy at the local pub said he never saw a pair!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 16:14
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots

Other then what you have, I have a pair of -50* Sorel's too.
Great for standing on ice or riding on a snowmobile , bad for walking.
The boy has some Surplus "Bunny Boots" that are out standing .
There not an answer to walking either.
I got a pair of Arctic ice muck boots this year.
 They have a Vibram Arctic Grip   sole and you can walk fairly well with them.
So far there warm, only used them at -14*.

Edited by d4570 - 25 January 2019 at 16:21
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 18:24
I've had these for years. https://www.sorel.com/mens-glacier-xt-boot-1573891.html
They're too warm, (even with frost plug removed) unless it's real cold, besides being bulky, they squeak in real cold snow. More of an ice fishing/sledding type of boot. I did use on a couple late season cow hunts, years ago, even at -40f sitting on stand, feet stayed warm.

I got a pair of these for kids(15-20 years ago, old style) https://www.sorel.com/mens-blizzard-xt-boot-1585131.html They're a lot lighter and more useful, don't seem to squeak as bad.

I got a pair of these for SIL https://www.sorel.com/mens-1964-premium-t-cvs-boot-NM1560.html He says he likes them, much lighter weight and they seem quieter too. Soles aren't very aggressive, but seem to work for him. I'll probably get a pair for myself, when I see them on sale.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 00:41
I see a lot of people wearing them. I have never had any myself. 

I would rather my feet be a little cold than too hot. 

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns. If I remember right they have 800 grams of Thinsulate. Whatever that is?

I really have never got real cold in them and I wear them during early October hunting deer and antelope. My feet haven't got sweaty in them either and they are good for a moderatly long hike. Very comfortable. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 01:16
Boots for winter.....I still have an (from 1993 maybe) pair of Sorel boots, wool bootie liner and green leather tops & rubber bottoms...they have a Vibram (trademark) sole and are pretty good for walking in snow vs the original types with the squiggly ribbed rubber soles that offered poor foot support for walking. But now days I mostly wear a leather boot with either 800 or maybe its 1200 grams of thinsulate insulation. They are great for walking and pretty warm in cold November weather. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 11:11
IBd those are the Sorel   Mark V boots.  best made pac.

I figure that sorels today are probably made in china and will crack after 5 years.  But the old ones were all Canadian made, good rubber bottems and leather water-proof tops.  But heavy without arch support.

Wing, you are toooo energetic to sit all day, your a walker for sure.  your feet would never get cold.

had a pair of mil spec   Artic Mickey Mouse boots, inflate, double rubber.  Way to heavy for anything, maybe downhill skiing?   Gave them away.

For years my hunting/walking boots were wolverine 600 gr  thinsilate.  good boot, water proof.  used them in Arctic circle at -55.  they dided (worn out soles smooth & leather creased).  Couldn't find the same thing.

Edited by BEAR - 26 January 2019 at 11:12
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 00:50
Good point Bear. I think I would have a hard time sitting still in a stand or blind. I don't see too many stands when I'm hunting. Depending on where I am at, I don't see too many trees either. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 08:18
Different tactics for different critters and terain.
My deer hunting is usually days of scounting on foot, finding tracks and trails.  finding crossings where deer might be.  Then I set up a small ground blind (usually just a camo sheet) or tree stand.   Opening day at 5 am, I walk in about 1-4 miles into heavy forest and brush.  And then sit in my blind all day, walk out at 6pm.

Vary different, no Rusty!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 23:53
Rusty might help for the drag out.

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic