The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Hot rodding the '06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot rodding the '06
    Posted: 10 December 2018 at 08:58
Been thinking...dangerous, but spent 13 days in the last 4 weeks sitting in deep woods with lots of snow, trying to hunt deer.  Lots of time to think.

The '06 has been around over 100 years, done lots of things, and certainly probably 100 new cartridges touted.

If we take ONLY most modern bolt action rifles, strong, and hot rod reloads of the '06 above store bought (SAMMI) pressures, the old girl should be right up there with newest super magnums.

Thoughts.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 12:29
My first deer rifle was #700 /06. It always worked fine for deer. Mom always shot /06, it took lots of deer, antelope, elk, and moose, along with various other game from hogs, MT lion, bobcat, bear and smaller stuff. She never felt need for more.

Dad gave me his 300wm, 30+yrs ago, when recoil started effecting him and he stepped down to 7mag. I can tell you, from switching from /06 to 300wm, there's a big gap in performance between two. Come down to capacity, no way can you get same performance, with less fuel, you gain 100-200yds effective range, depending on how you measure it. I've also shot some of the necked down powder bottles, like 30/378, 300Edge ect, you reach a point of diminishing return and acceptable recoil.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 20:12
Maybe not as much as the magnums, but I do think that with some of the new high bc bullets and the new powders it should be possible to improve the 30-06. 

That sounds like a good idea for a winter project. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 11:00
Interesting thought to super poop the '06!.....start with the AI version maybe???  Then do as wing suggested try the new powders of today and today's new boolets.....???? Like bear said tho be sure to use a modern made action/bbl for the job. 
NEW Brass also would be good. Which then brings us to....which brand of brass is best?
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 11:06
I've never had any problems with USA brass for US cartridges.  European brass often has differnt depth primer pockets so I avoid euro-brass.

Presently I've been buying Peterson or Hornady  new brass...both fine.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2018 at 13:43
I have been using Lapua brass for the last two rifles I have worked up loads for. 

I have weighed a few cases and they are very consistant. They also aneal their brass. I don't know how much that helps on new brass but It gives me a good feeling about it lasting longer. 

I haven't noticed deeper primer pockets, but now I will look closer. 

It is kinda expensive, but it is definately good quality brass. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic