The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > Recipes, Cooking, Game Processing and Food in General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Hunting lunch--sardines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting lunch--sardines
    Posted: 29 November 2018 at 13:18
When hunting I often take a can of kipper or sardines with a fork and package of hot sauce (or mustard).

Now these are a "must do" when bear hunting.  But bear season is gone now, and after 2 states and 9 days deer hunting, my stock of little fish is gone.

What brand or kippers or sardines do you like?

My favorite for 30 years was Connor Kippered Snacks, red label in the long tin from Canada.  BUT gov't put them out of business said they were an anti-trust business with Star Kist!!!!!!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 14:37
Even thou I have been told there needed for bear hunting, I don't normally do fish.Dead
But Duck jerky is a different story.
We take all our "Crap" birds and grind them all together and make jerky out of them, not bad and it's better then eating "cow" patties. 
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 23:35
Do you actually eat them or just punish fish with them for bait?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 07:16
canned fish travels well and makes a good protein lunch, also tasty.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 10:11
I like tins of smoked trout, smoked herring or sardines now and then; but I'd rather take along a meat stick, jerky or - if anything in tins is needed - Spam when I am hunting. The main reason is not because of taste, but because of the oil that seems to go everywhere I don't want it to.

When fishing, I usually bring along a cast iron pan or Dutch oven, so my son and I can cook breakfast and/or lunch while we fish. Sometimes, we will bring along a couple of Boy-Scout-style mess kits, and use those for cooking.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 23:25
I've always preferred King Oscar Kippered Herring and Crown Prince Sardines (big can with red sauce), mainly because that's what Grampa ate. They weren't as good as Grandma's pickled fish, but on saltines, made a good fishing snack.

I still prefer kippered herring, over sardines, but mustard or hot sauce on saltine is still a frequent snack. I can't say I've every made either into sandwich, though on toast, is good TV snack.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2018 at 15:07
Does the red sauce work for or against you when it's on the hook?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2018 at 09:18
King Oscar Kippered Herring and Crown Prince Sardines  are my standard brands, good and available every where, even Rural King.

Lately I've found POLAR brand, from Germany, good.  

Still trying brands.

Spent the last 3 days deer hunting in central PA mountains, 10 inches down and a new inch everyday.  Ate 3 cans of Oscar kipper herring; no black bears came.  one 'ote visited my spot during the night.  I carry evrything like the can out with me in a zip lok bag in my pack; so he came for the scent.

I'm going to England later this month; will try brands there, esp Kippered.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 21:18
I kinda like sardines in mustard sauce. I'm not sure of the brand. 

Also don't count out smoked oysters. They are really good on a saltine cracker. 

I'm with Tas on the Spam. fried Spam sandwiches are pretty hard to beat on any camping or fishing trip. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 07:09
Well the canned  kippers/sardines are easy, no cooking.  With a plastic fork, I just use those small packets of mustard to get the taste I like.  Also carry packets of ketchup and Franks hot sause.  The pre-canned mustard packed fish doesn't taste as good as  fresh mustard.

Spam?????   this stuff really has no taste, good start if fryed in bacon grease...yum.  Anything fryed in bacon is great.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 20:14
I definatly agree on the bacon. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic