The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

short range scope for deer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short range scope for deer.
    Posted: 23 November 2018 at 13:50
seems like my eastern deer hunting will be confined to small spaces, close to my truck.

So shots will be 80 yards at most...probably some 25-50 yards.

After last week hunting like this, I realize my 3.5-10x leupold isn't a good choice.

Seems the 2-7x  or   1.5-4.5x   or 1-4x  would be what I need.

So many of the scope are now called AR or AK  models and have busy  jibber-jabber reticiles.

Would like a straight x-hair or a lonely post.

Any suggestions?
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2018 at 14:49
Irons or a simple mil dot 1X. Eotech makes some nice little dots but the price is a bit heavy. Aimpoint makes some decent ones at budget prices though and to be honest I see little difference in usefulness either way over the much more expensive ones.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 18:18
The VX3 1.5-5X20 is pretty hard to beat. Simple duplex works for me, I don't like all the dots, dashes and lines
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 17:29
eye too bad for irons, wish they were.

Edited by BEAR - 27 November 2018 at 17:30
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 10:47
For a long time, I used a Leupold 2x7x32 1" tube for years as my primary with good success.  As I spend a lot of time hunting in the afternoons, I migrated to a 1.5X6X42 30mm tube on my primary rifle for lower light capability.  Most are too expensive for my wallet in the high end brands, so I started with a Tasco Euro Class.  It worked fine.  I'm currently using a Burris with the AR reticle and have found it's not too busy for working in the woods.  It's lighted, but I haven't tried that yet.

let us know where you land.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 12:20
Years ago, say 35+, I saw the 2-7x Leupold  vx-2 as a great bargain in a great scope...bought 7 of them for $92 each.  Used them on everything and they worked flawlessly....... 308 thru 416 mag.

But as my eyes went bad the 3-9x got the call; and now even 16x seem ok.

But I really want something with a larger field of view, as I seem to be hunting in tight cover.

I had a 1-4x Bushnell command Post model, but the x-hair dried out and brok...no one can fix it now.

1.0 or 1.5x seems to be the present requirement.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 11:05
bear....try to find a good used (El Paso) Weaver Post & Crosshair in 3x....not sure if any of the new ones have that arranagement anymore. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 11:38
I love a plain post (no over riding crosshair...seems I must be the only one that does, as no one makes it any longer.

3x doesn't have the field of view ( FOV) that my hunting requires.  if it did any 3-9x would work.

A 2x might work; but a 1.0 or 1.5 would be great.  I had a 1.5-4x Bushnel with a Command Post....best scope I ever owned.  crosshair was spider wire and dried and cracked after 20+ years.  Bushnell refused to fix it.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 14:08
Bear.....seems to be the germans liked the single post only arrangement....try Schmindt&Bender (?) they might still offer something like that. Try this link to get started.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 21:02
I don't get very many close shots. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 06:46
I like the "shotgun" style scopes for fast/close range, the circle-X works pretty good, heavy outer cross, with fine cross inside circle. Circle covers about 8" or so @100yds on 1.5X

I have tapered post style reticle, on rem741 in 308, but it's straight 4X, so it's field of view is fairly narrow.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic