The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Pulling Bullets.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling Bullets.
    Posted: 15 November 2018 at 21:25
Sometime last summer I was having a hard time finding cast bullets for my .45 ACP. I bought a box of 230 grain round nose bullets made by a company called Cast Performance. When I opened the box it looked like they forgot to lube them. I sent an email to Cast Performance and they assured me that their bullets are coated with a propriatary lube that you can't see but it works well and I was good to go. 

After shooting about 100 rounds the slide wouldn't go all the way forward and it was like the bullet was jamming into the barrel. 

When I got home I found a crap load of lead in the barrel. 

Needless to say I don't recomend Cast Performance bullets or their propriatary invisible lube. 
I started shooting Blue Bullets  and haven't had any problems at all. 

Anyway I decided to pull the remaining 200 bullets. After what seemed like a lifetime beating one of those hammer looking kinetic bullet pullers on the floor of my garage I had about 10 bullets pulled. Then I put the lid back on the container and set it on my work bench for the next several months. Every time I walked by them I looked at them and thought I ain't doing that. 

Today I couldn't take it any longer. I went to the local sporting goods store and got an RCBS bullet puller and a .45 caliber collet. When I got home I promptly destroyed the case on the first round I tried to pull the bullet out of. 

Then I got the puller adjusted properly and about an hour later I had all 200 or so bullets pulled. 

I haven't done it yet, but I think I might take that hammer looking bullet puller I have out in the street and see how far I can throw it. Then, I am going to get in Ol' Rusty and go run over it. 

This was a few minutes after I got started. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 22:21
Yikes! That be some serious fouling!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 05:49
I have a red brick on my bench to hit the kenitic puller on.  I works great with jacketed bullets that are NOT crimped.  Crimped bullets are just tough.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 18:39
Yes, that was the worst leading I have ever had. 

In the time it takes to pull one bullet and get the components out of a kinetic puller, I can pull about 3 with the press mounted one. 

I like it much better. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 19:51
The advantage with the inertia unit is     no scratches on the jacket.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 23:56
Good point Bear. I wasn't saving these bullets so I didn't care. If I ever have to do a few rifle bullets I will probably use the enertia puller. 

I guess that means I can't throw it away. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 08:26
LOL   hold on to it...might load one without powder!!!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 14:25
I hope not, but you never know. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2018 at 10:00
tuff deal on those supposedly lubed boolets there Wing,...I use a "hammer" boolet puller for the occasional MIstake in reloading ammo.....and if not crimped worked pretty good. Have the RCBS collet type puller to tho.

I shoot lots of cast boolets in revolvers and the 1911's and don't have much leading. Some I cast from those wheel weights you gave me and others I buy. Cast boolets need a good lube and then are ok. I do use some plated boolets too and don't see any issues with them. 

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2018 at 20:40
I don't think their "propriotary" lube is lube at all. 

I have used cast bullets for years that have lube you can see and have never had a problem. I just kinda like these Blue Bullets. They shoot great and I don't think lead ever touches the barrel. 

I would like to cast my own bullets, but I don't want to try to make the time to do it. I have enough gun hobbies. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 06:32
I use a pair of wire crimping pliers, to pull bullets, when I have to. If you're careful/lucky you can save most of them and it's way faster than hammer eraser. I use it like collet style puller, but you don't have to buy collects.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2018 at 20:12
That's a great idea Robert. I'll try that if I ever need to pull a different caliber before I buy a collet. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2018 at 09:48
I've used 'slip joint' pliers to pull bullets.

I put the loaded round in a shell holder in my press (no dies).  Raise the shell up so it extends beyond the threads of the press.  grab the bullet and then slowly lower the press ram until the pliers hang up on the press.  as you continue to pull the ram down the bullet is pulled.

Some people  used electrical tape on the jaws to save scratching the bullet.

If you only screwed up one shell, this is fast and simple.  If I need to pull lots of shells ,  then I go with the inertia puller; it saves all bullets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic