The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

sonar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sonar
    Posted: 21 August 2018 at 09:02
Boat went in late this year.  And my sonar unit died immediately.  thought I'd just buy the same model; that would have been a 5 sec installation as it would use the same connectors.  they don't make it any longer!

I've fished blind, as i didn't want to pull the boat out of the water to install new sensors on hull.

bad year fishing without a depth finder.  I fish 10-30 foot of water and need to accurately troll the edge of the weeds.

Thought I'd buy a cheap $150 model...but this bad year fishing blind seems to be shouting...get a really good one.

Amy recommendations????
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:03
I have an old Hummingbird they don't even make anymore in the big boat still work but with a jet the jet wash makes it useless when I'm moving. I have been looking at the Hummingbird 409640-1 HELIX 5 SI Fish Finder with Side-Imaging and GPS   , Kinda middle of the road finder .   
      https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-409640-1-HELIX-Finder-Side-Imaging/dp/B00MVYNZ78/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1534867153&sr=8-12&keywords=humminbird+gps+fishfinder                                                                                                            

Edited by d4570 - 21 August 2018 at 11:04
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:52
I'm on my 6 sonar.  all generations including a Huminbird 30 flasher.  all good.

But the last 3 were screen models of Huminbird (%*% being the last.  I have dark cotton covers for the units, but the screens still failed.  I repaired on and got 3 more years out of it.  But 30 hours of my time is more valuable ever year.

The Helix 5 is the exact model I've been contemplating.  Thinking that the side scan might help me find the large bundles of bait fish.  I know the water really well so I don't need the GPS, but all the units come with it.  Maps don't seem to be available for my main lakes, so that function would not be used.

If you buy one now you, could be my product tester!!!!!

I'm pulling my boat out of the water for the season next week......so I have until next spring to decide.  My boat iis 23 foot and I'm a single boater/fisherman,  so once my dock/lift is out of the water, I wrap it up for the year.  And the boat get trailered to and underground limestone mine (1 Mile in) for her winter sleep.

Glad you are thinking of the same model.  Cabelas has them in stores.  Might need to spend 4 hours playing with on.   they seem really complicated to use/program.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 15:32
My old one will have to do till I get the water bug monkey off my back.
Going grouse/dove hunting on the first and crane hunting the next week.
Going to all chain drive on the bug, cant get what I want with the belt drive.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 16:39
to bad that continous variable shift was a good idea.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 22:05
ELCAN has some really cool stuff they have been selling the navy!
At 10-30 feet, should be able to tell the difference between methane bubbles and crab farts with some of those.

Edited by jsgbearpaws1 - 21 August 2018 at 22:07
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 09:55
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:14
This 'was' suppose to be a plug n play, no brainer to use.

I now notice the instruction booklet is 90 pages!!!!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:19
Seems like you get a lot for $$$ with that one.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic