The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

forming cases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forming cases
    Posted: 17 August 2018 at 15:01

Just finished making 200 cases for my 30 Herret.  

Got my process and jigs pretty well defined over the last 40 years of playing with this round.  

Great handgun cartridge.  It has more energy at 100 yards than a 44 mag at the muzzle.

Basically, it starts with a 30-30 case...then the shoulder is reformed about .5 inches back from the 30-30.  Now the two tough parts...removing a half inch of too much neck, and  cleaning up the case mouth after machining off the  .5 inch.

Use to have 100 cases made, but miss placed then (lost) in my move.  Now that it is done, the old 100 will probably surface close by!

Was a good way to spend this week between funeral services and consoling my bereaved friends.  Funeral was over at 1:30 today.      A very close knit family with  5 brothers and sisters under 38.  Sad.

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 20:01
Now that you have it done, it sounds like similar process, to forming 300blk cases from 223. Half the people cut cases, before forming and just do finish trim after. The volume formers use mini-chop saw and jig, I just used Dremel cutter, inside chamfered and formed shoulder and neck.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 23:36
Always seemed like a lot of work to do that Robt. Tons of used factory brass on the web reasonable. Considering ole' J.D. made it some 30 years ago and called it the Whisper. Can still fire Whisper rounds from the .300BO just not the other way around. Thought he cranked his out of 221 Fireball or 30 carbine? Anywho, always had hopes the Herrett would eventually go a bit more mainstream. Solid performer at 30-30 range.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 01:31
When I first got blackout barrel, several years ago, I converted/formed, 100 300blk cases, just to know how and then bought 1K of them, already done. They used to cost about .25 each, when I caught them @ .12, I pulled the trigger.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 07:39
Actually I have three methods of removing the extra nech 1/2 inch.

I made a trim/file die.  hardened steel and about .4 inches protrudes, i can file it off, I can use a very fine saw blade to remove it.  this was the first improvement over just using aa hand case trimmer (aka the fingure breaker).

I also set up a jig for my Atlas drill press, this uses a cutter from the  Lyman hand trimmer and takes about 2 seconds per case.  Still need inside/outside case mouth prep.

Best to form first as it keeps the neck long but square and in perfect shape.  I am actually bumping the case back enough that the new mouth is beyound the old case shoulder.  Surprising thing is that the brass isn't too thick  and need more brass reduction.

The 30 Herret is indeed a fine cartridge, wish I could get a Marlin 1894 chmbered in it.  Tha case capacity is optimized for a 10 inch barrel, so it isn't moving more power than neededd.  It actaull out preforms the 30-30 in a 10 inch barrel as the 30-30 has more volume and more powder, and it does it with MUCH less muzzle flash.

With a single shot pistol, 200 cases = a lifetime.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 10:19
You'd probably find different brands of brass have different wall thickness. I know there are certain brands of 223/556 brass, that have too thick case walls, even though 300blk has REAL short neck, you'd have to turn those brands. The weight is close between too thick brands and "acceptable" brands, from what I can guess, after measuring volume of both, thick case must have less metal in web area.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic