The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Question about .243

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about .243
    Posted: 09 August 2018 at 23:12
I have a .243 that is crazy accurate with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. 

I would like to find a boat tail bullet that's as accurate as these flat base bullets are. I have tried CB-900f's 90 grain Speer load and I didn't get it st shoot that good. I also tried Sierra Game Kings and they weren't that good either. 

I have seen where D 4570 says lighter bullets are better. I can't remember why but it made sense at the time. Could you refresh my memory D.?

Anyway, What other bullets would you guys suggest I try? Also, What powder?

Thanks in advance. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 00:54
I loaded 95-100gr partitions over imr4831, for kids, when they used 243 for hunting. I use 243 for long range target, using heavy high BC target bullets and real slow powder like H1000 and like.

I would run the numbers, if I was you, a super accurate 100gr flat based bullet (Sierra) (.373 BC, 3,000fps (200yd zero, 300yds -7", 400yds - 19", 500yds - 39"(900ftlb))), isn't giving anything up @ midrange (300-500yds) to fast 85gr Barnes load(.333 BC, 3,200fps (200yd zero, 300yds -6", 400yds - 17", 500yds - 36"(800ftlb))).   I can easily hold the extra 3" drop and wind @ 500yds for extra energy on target.

I've tried the 90gr AB and couldn't get satisfactory accuracy.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 07:34
Not sure WHY you want a boattail????

Accuracy with the 100 grainers depends upon the twist rate.   The 244 usually doesn't shot the 100 grainers because of the twist is too fast.  But most 243 win have a better twist rate that stabilizes the 100 grainers without over spinning.

mine is an old Sako heavy barrel 243, it likes 35 grains of Varget or 37 grains of imr 4064  with 100 grainers (flat based)..  these are near max. approach slowly.

Edited by BEAR - 11 August 2018 at 08:45
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 15:51
The boy is out fighting fires in North west Montana, he has the knowledge about loading...
In the daughter's savage, that the one I used when I used a 243, We used a 85 gr Speer It has a lead tip. I do not know about a boat tail.
I would imagen he uses Varget up near max.
VERY accurate and very deadly on deer/antelope.
EASY 300 yard gun, with a good hold, rest, and good eyes 500 would not be a stretch. 
I use a 80 gr Barnes in the 6 , 3600/3800 fps, I cant remember which at this second. It is defiantly a 500 yard load with a bit of pre hunt trigger time.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 00:53
Bear, How heavy are the bullets you shoot in your Sako? Mine is the exact same gun except it has the sporter weight barrel. 

d4570, I remember you had a reason for using lighter bullets in a .243 but can't remember the reason?

Robert, You make a good point. I never have ran numbers. I will look farther into it. 

The reason for wanting to use boat tails is because of the higher BC. Maybe theirs not that much of a difference. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 11:55
Inside of 500yds, stepping up to .430BC from .373BC, is only going to make couple inches difference. Since 243 is marginal(energy wise)beyond 500yds, for antelope, the extra 100fps and 100ftlbs, is helpful, but not if it decreases accuracy.

.430 BC, 3,000fps (200yd zero, 300yds -6", 400yds - 18", 500yds - 37"(2,100fps & 975ftlb)) VS
.373 BC, 3,000fps (200yd zero, 300yds -7", 400yds - 19", 500yds - 39"(2,000fps & 890ftlb)))

With your likely twist of 1:10, you won't stabilize heavy VLD bullets, but Berger's 87gr #24524, pushed to 3,200fps, might be worth a try, gaining you 7" @500yds (over FB 100gr) and maintaining energy.

I've gone to 1:8 and 26" barrels on last couple 243s, so I can shoot the 105gr and 115gr VLDs, @ 1K they do make a big difference, especially in wind. Next one, I'm stepping down to either 6BR or dasher and 105s. Hold nearly as well in wind and double barrel life.

I've been wondering, why the 243 and not the new 6.5?
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 00:18
Originally posted by RobertMT RobertMT wrote:

I've been wondering, why the 243 and not the new 6.5?

I plan on using the 6.5 for deer and antelope. I use the .243 for prairie dogs and coyotes. 

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 00:25
When I have tried heavy for caliber Burgers in the past they wouldn't fit in the magazine. That was a different gun though. 

Maybe I will stick with what I'm doing. The 100 grain Pro Hunters are really accurate and I don't want to give up any accuracy to get better ballistics. I think that would make the difference in a hit or miss with 300 or 400 yard prairie dogs. I guess as long as I know where it's going to hit, it doesn't matter as much how much it drops. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 11:58
For PD, I use 70grBT over 40gr of IMR 4064, IMR4320, or Varget, they all shoot good. 70grBT is about foot flatter shooting at 500yds, due to increased velocity.

I have a ton of them, (also use them in 6x45 AR), I'll send some for you to try.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 01:31
That would be awesome I'd love to try them. 

I'm thinking that is the reason d4570 uses lighter bullets. 

I have always thought that heavier bullets carried velocity better at longer range. It seems that the .243 gaines enough velocity by using lighter bullets to offset the drop from using lighter bullets?

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 09:15
Actually bullet weight has nothing to do with bullet drop.  Only the muzzle velocity and the ballistic coefficient matter.   Heavier bullets often have better BC than lighter bullets.

40 grs of imr 4064 has been  my light bullet 243 load.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 11:27
I put 100ea of 70grBT and 70grFB, in mail for you. BT have better BC, than FB, but your rifle may prefer the FB.

As far as lighter VS heavier, you have to strike balance and consider game being shot. Higher BC loses speed slower, less drag, plus faster you go, the higher the drag. A bullet with same BC, slows from 3,500fps to 3,000fps faster, than from 3,000fps to 2,500fps and so on.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 17:06
Not to be overly mathmatical, but drag goes up by the square of the velocity, and decreses by the inverse square of the velocity.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 22:21
They didn't cover inverse square, by time I dropped out, sophomore year, for work and drinking. At least I don't have to worry about HS reunions.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 00:15
Thank You Robert. They will definatly be put to good use. 

I graduated High school, but I have no idea what Bear just said. 

College was out of the question. For the same reason Robert stated above. Waste of my time and my parents money. 

I'm starting a new thread. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic