The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

best antelope pistol cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best antelope pistol cartridge
    Posted: 22 June 2018 at 18:16
Obviously the one you shoot the best.

Been thinking of trying for sspeed goat at 200-250 yards with a psitol.

Any thoughts on best cartridge?

My longest pistol kill on whitetain was a buck at 125 yds and a doe at 172 yaards.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 00:12
It would be tossup between 6.5 JDJ 129gr ABLR (BC.530) and 7mm IHMSA 150gr ABLR (BC.546) either would get you ~2,200fps with real good BC for hunting bullet. Next logical step up would be full rifle caliber, 260 and 7mm-08, with same bullets and the extra 300fps and accompanying recoil.

6.5TCU or 7TCU don't have enough horse power, for 250yds. You really have to drop some speed to use the 140s and 160s bullets these require @250yds.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 05:21
antelope are easy to kill and live in an area where you can easily find critter that is lung shot and runs  150 yards to die.  In the north east a 150 Yd tracking can take 4-5 hours...just thick stuff.

In house options include :
41 mag 10"
44 mag 10"
223 14" barrel
357 6"
375 12"
30 herrett 10"
7 mm  Waters 12"

Present thinking iss the 7mm or the 30 herrett.  375 has a rainbow path, but is accurate with the 270gr and packs a punch at any distance.

BUT will be going to a BIG gun show today...maybe find somthing better?????  maybe a 6.5 TCU contender barrel and dies!

Edited by BEAR - 23 June 2018 at 05:23
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 09:31
Not a suggestion but a question . Folks here ,quite a few of them ,swear by the old 22-250 ,from deer ,yotes just about anything here in the flat part of Tenn . , it's nothing to see older folks to grandkids toting a 22-250 around here . Wonder what one would do to a lope ?
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 10:32
Just my opinion.  Antelope are smaller than a whitetail, and very easy to kill.  Certainly a 22 cal high velocity cartridge will work .  But 22 cal cartridges are generally varmint cartridges not designed for big game.  SO..in 22 centerfire cartridges, bullet selection is critical.  only a few designs are ok for antelope/deer.

My thinking has been (Based upon  150+ deer/antelope kills) that a bullet of between 120-130 grains is best.  yep this rules out 243 and 22 cartridges.  I suspect that is probably  the reason  25-06, 257, 260, 6.5 creed do such a good job on deer.

Will a 22-250, 220 swift, kill deer sure; but they are marginal killers.  Might want to say with proper bullet and proper shot placement a 22 RF mag will drop them dead;  but again it is not best.

Years ago the gun mag writers got caught up in the Weatherby doctrine "Energy kills best".  So once that is spoken and believed...velocity is KING.  Because energy is based upon the square of velocity and only on the multiple of bullet weight.  

ie   Double the vleocity and you quadruple (4x) the energy.  Double the bullet weight and you only double the energy.  And we all know that to get mode velocity you drop the provectile bullet weight.

So light fast bullets reign supreme. aka Weatherby doctrine.

while energy is good, it is how that energy is used inside the animal that matters.  Most 22      CF bullets expend all their energy within 6-10 inches.  Not the penetration wanted.

The MSR aka 'jam-a-matic" is the fad and people love the 223.  it is a poor big game rifle/round.  So today folks want to keep shooting heavier bullets in that poor little rifle to get better performance rather thaan going to a larger diameter like the 6mm/6.5mm/25/270.  Remember the 223 is a smaller version of a great 22 CF groundhog cartridge the 222 mag.  The Army liked it as the spray n pray in service shooting likes light weight cartridges so more rounds can be carried.  And the army never wants to kill a combatant; merely wound him as it takes 2 to carry one wounded man off the battle field; and screams de-moralizes opposing troops.

I have a 22-250 and if that was my only gun I'd use it (with best available bullets and proper shot placement).  BUT there are sooooo   many better options available.

Just rambling thoughts (now that the dry wall is up in my new man cave and I'm doing wiring now!)

But dreaming of antelope...soon.

Edited by BEAR - 23 June 2018 at 10:34
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 10:37
God, that BEAR guy rambles alot.

Ask him the time; he will explain how to build a watch and that space-time Albert Einstein thing.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 13:05
That’s all good info though fer sure . Don’t know why it’s so highly thought of around here , me I just like 7mm and .277 bullets the best . So far , but I’m always open to new things.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 17:37
Waters or the Herret are good choices for concealed carry against those pesky western prairie hoodlums. They can attack unprovoked at any time.

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Go-ddaed View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go-ddaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 19:21
I antelope hunted with a meat saving dude that utilized the .223 to marginal effect. It did allow for me to get my exercise tracking it.

I have shot four white tails between 200-235 yards with a 30-30 contender and 130 spire point pistol bullets. None went over 15 yards. I was using stix not freehand.
Palindrome wannabe
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 22:48
You just asked for thoughts on "best".

Of your choices, first choice 7mm Waters, hands down and since it's real close to 7mm IHMSA 150gr ABLR, still would be my bullet choice.

The only other reasonable choice, for 250yds, since it's real close to 300BLK, 30 herrett, I'd use same bullet as BLK, 125grBT or 110gr Barnes black tip Catalog # 30321 or 110gr blue tip # 30358

The 300BLk or 30 herrett is better inside 150ydsm than 250yds and 7mm Waters with the 150gr soft bullet, would roll them, just like the steel rams.

People dismiss antelope, as easy to kill, until you've hunted enough of them. I think they don't always have a strong will to live and lay down early. I'm not sure if it's instant, but if given chance and they aren't pushed, they often lay down, within 1/4 mile and try to hide. Once they get adrenaline up, they can take a fair amount of killing.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:38
All of my antelope have been killed with a bow or with a 260 Rem.  None of the 260 rem  goats moved, didn't even kick.  Used Hornady 123 gr v max (no longer made).

Arrow hits have been heart shots with wide mechanical 3 bladed heads.  Antelpoe take off, but it looks like a fire hose coming out of the side.  run for 20 seconds, then lay down.  Now 20 seconds for a speed goat is between 300-400 yards.  But again WY has little cover; so that is fine.  Neck shot antelope hit with and arrow, fall down, but legs keep running.

Tikka, I agree it is tough to beat the 270 win or the 7x57 mauser for most north american game.  If one likes recoil, the 338 win mag is great all-round; for 15 years it was my go-to gun.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 21:26
I agree that the 7mm Waters would be my choice of what you have now. 

About two years ago the Wyoming Game and Fish made it legal to use .223 diameter bullets on big game as long as you use a 60 grain bullet or heavier. I also have wondered if a 22-250 would be good for Antelope. I think I will stick with bigger, heavier bullets. I used a .270 for years and it worked good. I have shot them with a .243 and it worked good. also .308 and this year a 6.5x55. I think the Swede will be fine too. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic