The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Hunt big game in Florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunt big game in Florida
    Posted: 11 June 2018 at 17:43
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 20:28
Total BS.    I hunt there; they protect pythons during the mating and egg laying periods.  As said to me by a high ranking Florida F&G; there has never been an eradication of an invasive species.  And there never will be.

Contrary to the TV and press releases; they protect the feral hogs also.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 04:12
Are iguanas considered big game there? I mean sure, some are bigger then their deer! Or even those ugly swamp rats.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 07:45
Iguanas are everywhere in south Florida...like rats. they have two different types, green and marine.  Big, saw some 55-6 footers...really ugly.

They are feral and can kill them...BUT only in a human manner.  Animal lovers are in control.  locals and tourist love them.
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:48
Bear, I just have a question... If locals and tourist's love them...Who is left? If you are not a local then you are a tourist and visa versa....
SW Montana
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 17:03
Local....someone that retired there in the last 3 years  (life expectance  3 years and 2 months).

residents are either retired snowbirds or work in the tourist industry.

i hate them and they taste like chicken.   SSS.

Edited by BEAR - 13 June 2018 at 17:05
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 05:13
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

residents are either retired snowbirds or work in the tourist industry.

i hate them and they taste like chicken.   SSS.

The snowbirds or those in the tourist industry?

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 16:17
snowbirds are northerns that come south as the snow hits the Northeast.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 16:19
should anyon ewant to hunt florida, let me know.  I'll gladly join you.   mearch or feb are my preferences, but other 10 monyhs are do able.  good hunting and great seafood.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 20:00
Where about do you hunt? Sister's got a house near Daytona Beach and a Great Aunt, lives near Venice.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 13:37
I usually hunt in the south.  But if you know other place, it might work.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 15:01
I've never hunted in FL, I've flown out few times, in late winter, to visit sister or to visit folks, at sister's while they were there. It's cheaper/faster to connect to FL by air, than Oregon coast.

I was thinking, if I was to drive and spend couple months, coming across south coast, late winter, I could meet and go hunting, as I swung by sister's or Aunt's. When I took the kids down there 98/99 to see the big mouse, we went down to Okeechobee to watch some space launch. I remember the fire ants, more than the launch.

That's the only time, I went much south of Orlando, we went across north, last time I was down there, 5yrs ago. Embarrassed my mom and sister, we ended up by Crystal River and stopped in dinner to eat, I ordered alligator and asked if they served Manatee or sea turtle, they didn't see humor in the request. The fried alligator and turtle soup was good, fried mackerel wasn't, not as bad as boiled peanuts.

I doubt, I'd drag boat along, but have added small freezer in camper, could fit some pork in.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 15:28
There are some large farms around Arcadia, some require a fee for pigs but chances are very good.

Further south there is Fish eating creek.

Most hog hunting is done on private land, as hog have a very short season on public land.

The boiled peanuts are just soggy crap!

Edited by BEAR - 24 July 2018 at 15:29
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 19:46
If we can put something together I might be interested. I've never hunted hogs, but I have always wanted to. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 02:03
Either sounds good, are prices reasonable, ones I looked at were ~$300. Seems too high, but maybe that's reasonable?

I had looked into this one before https://www.nomercyhunting.com/guided-hunts-in-oklahoma/wild-boar-hunts/fair-chase-wild-boar-hunts/ seemed OK deal, spring hunt on way to TX shoot.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 07:24
hog hunts are usually, over bait from a stand, with dogs, or just walk and stalk.  Any of these hunts can be free range or in large pens.  I've also hunted them from a swamp buggy.  

Pen hunts are guaranteed and sucess is 100%.  Hunt can be 15 minutes to 2 hours.

I've hunted them in Florida, Georgia, North & South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and southern OHIO.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic