The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

AR build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR build
    Posted: 31 March 2018 at 06:39
For years I have been convincing myself that my bolt guns got the job done and I really didn't need an AR, but the past few months the urge has gotten to be too much. So, after looking at factory offerings, I decided to build one myself and finally got all the parts together. Nothing fancy, just a basic rifle.

Aero Precision Stripped lower
Seekins LPK and adj. low profile gas block
DS Arms 6 position buffer tube
DPMS buffer/spring
BCM upper assembly, charging handle and pistol grip
Stag Arms BCG
Brownells B-TAC 16" 1 in 7" socom profile barrel
Magpul MOE stock
Troy 13" Alpha Rail Handguard

After setting up the adjustable gas block and doing a function test I sighted in, here is the first group.

These were all fired at 100 yards using a front and rear bag. Ammo was 55gr V-Max, and I used a Sig SRD762 suppressor. Now I need to get some heavier bullets and try it at longer ranges.

I do not like the scope or the mount. The mount is too high and the scope is a 1-4x, I'm waiting for a new scope and mount to get here.

Overall I'm happy, although the trigger is not the greatest. That will be replaced soon as well, I just haven't decided which one to go with.
"Never corner something meaner than you"
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 08:52
Nice job of building that one Huntin1.  She looks good.

Personally never saw a need for me to have an AR.  I like walnut and blueing.  My bolt 222 rem does just fine and I love the explosive Hornady 55 gr  SX.  My 22" 1:12 twist really out shoots an AR I've seen.

All that said.  I'm sort of like where you were a few months ago.  Maybe I DO NEED one.  Don't really know what I'd use it for.  But, all this "we're going to outlaw" talk finally after 50 yearshas broken me down.

I appreciate you listing your component list...it will make a good starting point for me.

A few questions:

How long did it take?
Did you need any special tools?
what would you do differently?

looks like a winner.
huntin1 View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 09:39
Thanks Bear. Don't know why the urge got so strong lately and I'm not sure what I'll use it for either, but it is fun to shoot.

Once I had all the parts it took about 4 hours start to finish, might have gone faster but I'm kind of anal and this was my first build. It seems that it would be a lot more difficult than it is. The only special tools you need are an upper receiver block so you can put the receiver in a vise to install the barrel, a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench, the barrel nut needs to be torqued a min. of 30 foot lbs. You'll also need an assortment of roll pin punches, screw drivers and a small gun smith hammer.

I bought the upper with the forward assist already installed so I didn't have to mess with that, and I bought a complete bolt carrier group for the same reason. I borrowed a set of go, no-go gauges so I could check headspace, the go went and the no-go didn't, I'm glad because the way the barrel attaches, I'm not sure how you would change the headspace. There are PDF instructions and videos on the internet that walk you through the process. We have an AR armored at work, so I had him check check my work.

Things I'd do different, I'm not sure if an adjustable gas block is needed, nice to have I guess, but all of our patrol rifles have standard gas blocks and they run fine. The trigger, I went with a standard mil spec trigger, it is heavy, probably in the 8-9 lb range and has a bit of creep. It breaks clean, but way too stiff for my tastes. The next thing I order will be a better trigger in the 3-4 lb range.

If you do this some of the parts come commercial or mil spec, and from what I've been told they don't mix well. Either go all mil spec or all commercial.

It's kind of fun and there's a certain amount of satisfaction from shooting a gun that you put together.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 10:55
Was thinking!  Are the commerical parts haveing a tighter tolerance?

If I do it I would probably go with something other than a 223, as I doubt  an AR in 223 could compete in accuracy or velocity with my existing 222 bolt rifle.

Sort of thinking about 6.5 or some other wacky cartridge; I reload for all my rifles.

Also, being a little wacky myself,  I would probably go with a 22 or 24" barrel.  Portability isn't an issue with me; but increased velocity would make it more versatile.

All just thoughts right now!  but fun thoughts.
huntin1 View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 11:53
I'm not an expert on this stuff, it involves mostly the buffer tube. A commercial tube has weaker threads were it mounts to the lower, also, the stocks tend to fit tighter on mil spec tubes than on the commercial tube so there is less rattle. Perhaps someone who knows more about these rifles will chime in.

I'm saving to build another, and I'm pretty sure that one will be in 6.5 Creedmore, with a 22-24" barrel.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 12:57
Presently have a 222 and a 260 remington; sort of a conventional bolt guy here.  So not to repeat, maybe the 6.8 (aka 270) would be a change.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2018 at 18:59
If Twist ever decides to quit tinkering on his new Duc and post up, he has a 6.8 that he loves to hunt with in the Peoples Republic of NY. It does all that he requires from it and more. Typical .270 in all it's behaviors ballistics wise. Sub MOA. 5 round, semi.....just like his BAR. He hasn't touched base with me yet on the BAR's capability yet. Something tells me it's not as good as the AR. Disappointing for sure. The Creedmoor sounds pretty good. I have a couple stripped lowers.......maybe I should quit procrastinating?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 05:42
The 6.5 Creedmore requires an AR-10 size upper and lower receiver. The 6.5 Grendel is the one that fits in the standard size lower. It is only a matter of a bolt, barrel and magazine to change from 5.56.

For triggers: single stage is Timney and two stage is Geissele. 3.5# is optimal. Less than that and you start to get light primer strikes especially with mil-spec ammo.

The commercial buffer tube is slightly larger in diameter than the mil-spec and is angled in the rear instead of flat, also the thread weakness issue. They both thread into a mil-spec lower.

An adjustable gas block becomes more necessary with pistol length gas systems and suppressors.

I have pistols, carbines, and rifles. .22 LR, .223, 5.56, 300 Black Out, 7.62x39, and .308. I won a postal shoot here with one. Still have the target with three ten shot groups under 1/2 moa from 100 yards.

DD

Edited by deaddog - 01 April 2018 at 08:52
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 07:56
So do you recommend the commerical or mil-spec?
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 08:56
Mil-spec.

You limit your options for stocks by going commercial. DPMS was about the only company that made the tubes like that. Magpul has a few stocks that will work but not many.

DD
Endeavor to persevere.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 16:33
Are the plastic lower receivers any good?

I have one that my Dad won at a Friends of the NRA banquet several years ago. I have it but never have used it. The stripped lower receiver isn't really the expensive part but if I thought it would last I would allready have one part. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 01 April 2018 at 16:34
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 19:14
Glocks are plastic and have been tested to over 30,000 rounds.

The problem is the trigger pin holes getting out of round.
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 20:14
Can the pin holes be bushed?  stainless?
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 22:33
So, Would it be worth building? Then if the holes got wallered out I could always buy another stripped lower receiver. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2018 at 22:48
Can the holes in a plastic lower have metal bushings installed? Yes. Understand that these lowers cost ~ $29.

How often do you put 30K rounds through a lower?

My guess is that two would last you a lifetime and then some?
Endeavor to persevere.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 07:34
OR!
Shoot it a little more and you have a "Bump stock"LOLLOLLOLLOL
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
garou_22 View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garou_22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 00:36
A barrel clamp vs. upper receiver block is the better way to torque the barrel nut. Using a receiver block drastically increases the odds of introducing a torsion twist into the receiver.

Advice from KP & Mike, BTW.
Motorcycles, Firearms, and an ex-wife: What more does a guy need?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic