The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Reproduction vs Original

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reproduction vs Original
    Posted: 16 March 2018 at 07:46
Are there any rifle reproductions that you would buy over a comparably priced original model????
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 22:48
The only reproductions I can think of is Lever action rifles. 

The ones I have seen seem to be pretty good quality, but if the price was the same or close I would have to go with the original. 

Is their others that I'm not thinking of?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 08:25
There are falling blocks, rolling blocks, Sharps, even a revolving rifle.  Sort of think the M1A is a repro of the M14.  There are a lot of levers for sure.  just maybe every lever ever made is no being reproduces '73, 86, 71, 92, henry, etc.

I was just wondering if a big part of shooting antique designs is holding a weapon that actually "was there".
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 20:07
I use repros for CAS in lever and revolvers. CAn't afford originals. 1873 SAA Colt clones and clones of the 1866 & 1873 Winchesters levers and even the 1892 lever in a clone. All work just great but with modern materials so maybe even better quality. Browning repro of the 1885 Win Highwall and same for the trapdoor. 

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 21 March 2018 at 20:08
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 06:41
I suspect that the reproductions have better materials and have closer tolerances that the original.  They are a great way to keep the heritage alive.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 07:33
Also, in deference to the Originals (firearms) I wouldn't want to subject them to the thousands of rounds required for a season of Cowboy Action Shooting. Plus the handling/cleaning too adds wear to the cosmetics/surfaces & most originals already have more than 'nuff handling characteristics. Again, some originals innards ie Colt single actions as one example, are fragile compared to most repros today.

So, back to the original question of the post....besides the cost factor of most original firearms (typically higher than most repros) I have deferred to buying/using reproductions of certain firearms vs originals.

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 22 March 2018 at 07:36
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 10:40
The only repro I own is a CB , Model 1860 Army .44 Caliber Black Powder Revolver made by Pietta in Italy.

what brands do you like?

been thinking of the Henry lever, 357, maybe.  usa made.  

What do you think of Henry?
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 11:49
The Henry Golden Boy is a fine piece of workmanship. Really nice wood. I have read they bought the machinery from the old German manufacturer of the Erma lever guns of old. Maybe they even copied the original gun into what they Market today in rimfires. CENTERfires could be of their own design.
I believe they maka a good product.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 21:46
I'm thinking I would rather have a Shiloh Sharps than an original. That's one gun that's still on my list. 

I also have looked at Henry lever action in .357/38 Special. I really like them too. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 22:31
The only thing I'm not pleased with on Henry Big Boy rifles is the way they load....thru the tubular magazine like a .22 rifle....thru a slot near the muzzle end with tube pulled out...NOT with the conventional loading gate but it maybe way less costly to make then without the loading gate in frame vs tube type loading. Anyway it deviates from the norm or what was the norm for loading. What say you guys on that issue????? I have my .38/.357M in a Rossi 1892 clone and like it very much. Short and handy...just like me!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 23:32
IBD, 

I'm not real impressed with loading through the magazine tube either. I would rather they load like the old Winchester. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 08:00
IIRC the true original henry was in 44 cal and had a tubular magazine.  The tube was loaded not like a win 92 nor like the new Henry.  It had a brass tab that extended out of the tube in a slot that ran the tull length of the mag.  There was a loadin port under the fron tof the brass action.  To load one would push the tab forward where it latched into the tube.  then cartridges were inserted into the loading port and would far forward.  Once loaded  the tab was released spring loadind the cartridges rack toward the breech.

I thought that was cool.  It could be topped off, and it was breech loaded.

Brcause the tube was slotted it was weak and open to dirt.  If you dropped it, or 'wacked' john wayne style a dude on the head, the slotted tube would bend and not work.

Maybe it was cost that new Henry rifle didn't use the original system.  Also that loading gate might have been difficult to load 22 rf especially shorts.

just thoughts.

I would prefer the original design...just because it was original.  Yep, the loading tube removal is a pain.  I took a Marlin 39 to MYGAWDS one year, and it was a pain to load.  Found the best method was to pull the rod out all the way and put it cross-wise in my mouth while loading the tube.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 12:54
To pick up on Bear's description of the Original Henry rifle: It was a .44 caliber but a black powder RimFire cartridge. In order to load the "tube" you had to open it by Turning the muzzle end 90* to oneside so opening was exposed. 
This system rotated around the muzzle end of the bbl & was maybe 3-4" long.
There is a tab underneath the tube in the slot mentioned thru which the tab protruded. 
The tab was pulled forward to muzzle end and then cartridges dropped into tube behind it, when full the tab was released (spring compressed behind it) to push rounds onto elevator for loading into breech via lever.
There is no forearm and the support hand got hot from bbl (BP burns very hot) and the tab pushed by spring followed the cartridges back and shooter had to let tab past his hand as the rounds were used up. 
When the rifle was reDesigned to use CenterFire ammo The loader had to be careful to NOT let the spring powered loading tab "snap" into nose of first round as it could cause a detonation of some or all the rounds in the tube from nose of rear bullet slamming into primer in front of it. This DID happen in real life.....if loader was careless.

Crude description but that's the way it works. 

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 13:47
Not  a problem for the Indians at Custer's last stand (or lie down).
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 10:58
If they ever came up with a repro Sako Finwolf ,I'm afraid I'd have to do it .

Edited by Tikkabuck - 25 March 2018 at 11:01
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 12:30
Tikka, Once Upon a Time...some one did make a copy of th Finnwolf.  Can't remember who, but it wasn't too popular.

I'll think on it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 12:38
Tikka, how is the trigger on your Finnwolf?

I think the win 88 came out first and had the trigger hinge down with the lever; but it's trigger was 'mushy'.  Maybe the finnwolf, which looks like the 88 had a better trigger?????
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 00:46
Wow, I didn't know the Finnwolf was that expensive. I've never seen one in person. That must be a fine rifle. 

Wing master
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 09:13
   The whole rifle was better than my 88 ,my trigger on my 88 almost feels like a set trigger ,maybe someone worked on it over the years . It feels like it has click and then after that it little squeeze and it fire's. On the Finnwolf's everything about them was fluid feeling .It's like they took the 88 and just made it custom.

Wing you used to be able to pick them up all-day for under $500 . But then you could buy a new Chevy for $2000 to .  Big smile
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 20:06
I understand what you're saying Tikka. 

I remember my Dad saying "Back in my day......."

Now, I am saying "Back in my day........"

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic