The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

I Need To Stay Away From Pawn Shops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Need To Stay Away From Pawn Shops
    Posted: 11 March 2018 at 13:03
 I have found a new pawn shop in another town about an hour or so away, and I have to handle a lot of business there lately ,so what better way to kill time right ? This is where I found the 760 pump about month or so ago.  This is not your common southern pawn shop . I don't know what they are like where you guys live ,but here they are pretty scanky.  This one is spot less, price's clearly marked and the people seem to be genuine .

They must have someone turning in their old Remington's one by one. They had a nice 700 in 30-06,and a 1969 BDL in 25-06.

Well after going back and forth in my mind and being a sucker for old wood, the 25-06 came home, with an period correct Oregon made Redfield in 4x12 ,sitting in a set of Beuler mounts and rings. 

After getting it home to let the cleaning begin, a few swipes with the some ,Butch's bore shine I was glad to see the patches coming out clean as a whistle ,normally pawn shop guns are really dirty. So next off comes the stock, trigger is clean and feels like it's been adjusted, and glue or whatever it is on the screws, and the best part ,it's glass bedded old school, full length. I'm hoping this will be a shooter, and maybe like my loads I've been using for the other 25-06's .

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 18:32
You better get the /06, before someone beats you to it.

Sometimes it's hard to tell, either the previous owner took good care of it or last owner tried everything to get it to shoot and gave up.

I'm not a fan of used guns, if you buy it, to help someone out. You have to say it was good, to keep friendship. If you buy it, because it's a deal, you can hear from some else, how you took em, on the deal.

I believe in the old saying, don't do business with friends or family and neither a lender or borrower, will I be. I do break the don't discuss politics or religion, with friends or family rule, but I won't do it, at dinner table nor before bed.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 19:28

Big smile All ready got an 06' with the 760 pump.   Only problem is other than Tikka's and Sako's and maybe a Kimber there's not many new rifles I get all warm and fuzzy about. Wink Remy's are so easy to twist out a barrel if they are bad. They are like building an old Chevy. Cool

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 22:55
That looks like a nice one Tikka. 

You're right about them being like an old Chevy. They can always be made to shoot. One way or another. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 01:52
I always liked the BDL....don't really know why though...? I look at any bolt gun I buy used as an action needing a home and just figure they won't shoot. I have had a few that did and did so very well. More often then not they were abused and beaten, just looking for a good home. Just about every bolt gun is easily built upon. Any manufacturer will spin a thread on any barrel to suit your purpose, after market triggers are easy to come by and you can get wood for all of them depending on budget and time/ability to fit. Safeties are easily changed out these days if you want to switch to a different style,(all are a Mauser clone to some extent), and are up to the task. I don't know how well your fingers and patience may be, but I send out my bolts for squaring, lapping, and beveling of extractors, just not in my wheelhouse anymore to try. With enough time and effort, you can make a zip-gun shoot well enough......but I doubt you get the zippy to look as good as the BDL!   
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 14:09
  Little update on a few rifles I've picked up here lately . I'm really pleased with the 25-06, and the 760 > I'll do and update on that thread .

The 25-06 is a shooter for sure ,I cleaned it and that was it, the scope will be changed out for a Vortex ,the Redfield is good, tracks well and is dead on ,on the adjustments, just for my eyeballs I need a little more clearness .

The bad it doesn't like 100 grains , LOL but then neither do I. I tried the SST load my Tikka does so well with, it was fair nothing to write home about ,then I tried the same 117 gr Sierra load I use in the Mauser, yes sir on the money . 3/4" group at 100 off bags. I think she's a keeper. Big smile  Love the 25's
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 16:04
117 gr always was the load in quarter bore for me.   Accurate and the semi-round nose on those are really devastating on deer.

Shot a pre '64 win m70 in 257 roberst alot.  It was a killer rifle but, she didn't like targets.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 21:54
I also shoot 117 Sierras in my .257 Roberts. That gun has killed more deer than I can remember and 4 elk. The quarter bore is quite capable for most any hunting situation. 

I'm glad it worked out for you Tikka. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic