The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Transportation in the Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Motor oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor oil
    Posted: 07 March 2018 at 14:19
My new truck has 100,000 already.

she has been in 3 provinces, and 31 states...but is still my new vehicle.

i change oil every 10-12 thousand miles as the computer tells me.

Now that she is a senior citizen what oil should I use?
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 21:06
I am a big fan of Mobil-1 synthetic oil. 

The motorcycle that I had before the one I have now was water cooled and had an electric fan. 

One year I was at the Sturgis Rally. during the rally it takes about 45 minutes to go 4 or 5 blocks on Lazell street. That's a lot of idling. At te beginning of the rally I had Honda conventional motor oil in my bike. About every 5 minutes or so the electric fan came on. A couple days into the rally I needed an oil change and changed to Mobil-1. the next trip through town on Lazell street the fan never came on. The outside temperature was around 100* both days. 

In my opinion, friction causes heat. With Mobil-1 it had less friction. I used it in all my engines up to that point but after that I am 100% sold on it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 21:13
My old truck, 90 ford diesel has a bit over 800K on it, still original motor, it smokes a bit now. It's had it's oil changed at least every 6K, with either napa or delo oil. My 79 ford 1/2 ton, is ugly as sin, it's got well over 500K, it's in need of rebuild. It has had napa oil for last 400k, since I got it. 89 ford 4x4 only has 350K on it, it's auto trans is slipping, rest is fine.

My new truck, 96 ford diesel is still pretty fresh at 150K, again napa or delo, it didn't have it's oil changed enough first 60K, while dad pulled 40' 5th wheel across 1/3 of the states and couple trips to Alaska, it smokes a bit, but still has plenty of power.

Oil's a whole lot cheaper than new trucks, to answer your question, I've heard good things about mobile one synthetic, I run it in car and the high mileage in ARs.

Edited by RobertMT - 07 March 2018 at 21:29
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 22:02
Robert, Is the NAPA oil you use conventional or synthetic?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 22:21
My diesel trucks aren't new enough for synthetic, I also run qt of atf in each tank of fuel in summer and cetane/anti-gel additive in winter, you have to do something to replace sulfur in fuel.

I would say Delo was used at least as much or more than napa diesel oil.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 07:20
I'ld stick with the Mobil 1 synthetic or the Haveline synthetic. Both are awesome for cars and well, pretty much everything. I run Motul or Amsoil in the bike for racing, but it gets changed out so often it's sort of a waste. I know a lot of guys who swear by the Mobil 1 even in race bikes, but with something that is taking the high revs, heat, and abuse the bikes take, I wouldn't risk it.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:53
After retirement I went to work for a Oil distributor.
We had bulk oil tanks and packaged a lot of oil and sold by the 55 gal drums. Big construction companies , Municipal shops , And the air base. We handled it all from 80 weight , auto trans, and hydraulic.
 That said , he had his own tanker truck and would go to Iowa and get bulk oil from Conoco.
We had a drawer for oil labels, some where his house brand some where Conoco, some where Shell, and Mobile.
I would fill the drums my self, and apply the stickers, it all came out of the same spigot .....     
 ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:52
Somewhat my feelings D.

Sort of thin:
oil weight is one thing, and
then theire are syn and natural/true oil.  

As a kid that worked on cars and drove a truck, my boss, the guy that owned the trucks only used Wolf'sHead motor oil.

So I stuck with Pennsylvania crude oil products  Wolf's Head, Quaker State and Pennyoil.

But Pennsylvania cude is heavy in parafin, and high temp doesn't like parafin...so I switchd to the cheapest 5W40 non-PA crude.

So people say don't change between syn and reg oil?????

My bones are getting stiff.  I use to change my onw oil; last GMC even put a brass spicket on the oil pan.  So now I've been (crying) paying to have an oil change.  First thing I notice, the crooks, recommend a change every 3000 miles.  lots of women are changing every 2500 now???????

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:54
Originally posted by d4570 d4570 wrote:

After retirement I went to work for a Oil distributor.
We had bulk oil tanks and packaged a lot of oil and sold by the 55 gal drums. Big construction companies , Municipal shops , And the air base. We handled it all from 80 weight , auto trans, and hydraulic.
 That said , he had his own tanker truck and would go to Iowa and get bulk oil from Conoco.
We had a drawer for oil labels, some where his house brand some where Conoco, some where Shell, and Mobile.
I would fill the drums my self, and apply the stickers, it all came out of the same spigot .....     
 ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Gas and diesel is same way, comes out of same pipeline/depot, brand names just add different additives, while filling tanker or upon filling bulk tanks.

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:15
The biggest thing, is don't change from low detergent oil, to a high detergent oil, if you do change do first oil change after short time. High additive oils, syn or reg, will strip a lot of buildup out and you need to get that out of there.

Some people only change filters, every other oil change, I want filter to do it's job, if it's too dirty, it either restricts flow or bypasses filter.

On our heavy use diesels, for construction, they had auto oil refreshing. You had fresh oil tank, that added oil, at same rate as it was removed and added to fuel. You basically changed oil at a rate, every few thousand miles, if I remember correctly, it was something like 100 to 1 ratio, for every 100 gallons of fuel, you used gallon of oil. Hwy trucks, used about 300/1 ratio, because of cleaner conditions.

They had canister type oil/fuel filters, you just changed out element, every few fill ups, less often on hwy.   

The biggest abuse is changing air filters, instead of cleaning them frequently. We mostly ran foam/oiled, but the paper ones, we just blew them out. We just had two plates, with through bolt and air inlet, you just hooked up shop vac exhaust (outside was best) and blew them clean. This service is best done as frequently, as weekly in extreme dust.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:24
i chnge filter every other oil change.

The cleaaner running engines of today, don't compare to my '55 chevy.  That filter had ounces of 'crude' every 3000 miles.

I use to routinely find 4-5 tablespoons of casting sand in the oil pan of most cars.  Trans had some but not as much.  pretty clean today.

Edited by BEAR - 08 March 2018 at 13:01
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:48
For the reason D mentioned I have never liked "bulk" oils. I prefer to buy oil in the manufactures quart or 5 quart containers. 

One time I was getting my oil changed at a local quick lube place. I stayed out in their shop and watched them do the oil change. I saw them fill up a 5 quart Mobil One container from a 55 gallon drum and pour it into my engine. 

They also greased 6 grease fittings on the front end of my truck. When I grease it I grease 13 fittings. 

I think I will keep changing my own oil and greasing my own fittings. 

Wing master. 
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 15:31
no grease fitting any longer.  ugh
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 17:17
Got Pennzoil, ugh.  needed an oil change; but found out I need to drive to Buffalo for a funeral tomorrow.  Any port in a storm.... toooo many friends dying.  could it be trump??????  or just old age; I hate funerals.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 21:55
Sorry to hear that Bear. 

I have noticed that the older I get the more I know people in the obituary. 

I'm not a fan either.

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic