The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Gopher sight in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gopher sight in
    Posted: 04 March 2018 at 19:03
With my 22 LR I'm thinking about 3/4" high at 50 yards.

Those little guys are small.  thinking I'd be good to about 75 yards with dead on hold.

thoughts????
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 19:35
If I remember right, I sighted mine in right on at 100 yards. That was several years ago and I have never changed it. It has worked pretty good for me. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 20:23
What ever you do, sight it in with the same shells your gong to shoot with.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 20:47
Got it sighted in for close tree rats.  going to the range tomorrow to move it up some.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 21:03
looks like 1/2 " high at 50 will be about right.  from ballistic program.  wiil check at range.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 23:19
If you're shooting 1,250fps standard HV, sight in for 75yd zero, will be 1" high @ 50, 3" low @ 100, 8" low @ 125, and just over foot low @ 150. I prefer standard 1,080fps ammo, 100yd zero, 4" high @50, 3" high @75, 6" low @ 125, and just over foot low @ 150.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2018 at 07:55
thanks guys.  off to the range.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 09:10
so bear how did you end up sighting in your rifle for gophers??? what range did you use for the final zero? 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 09:19
1/2 " high at 50 yds.  using Remington Golden Bullets 40 gr hollowpoints.  Groups 1/4" at 50 yards.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 23:13
sounds good for sight in....I have been finding out that Rem Golden bullets have too many misfires but not nearly as many as Rem thunderbolts....but it may just save a gopher or so out there from you and the CZ.Wink

My CZ452 does well with Blazers.....

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 27 March 2018 at 23:14
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 09:41
My 10-22 loves Blazers.   But the 542 FS loves Rem golden bullet.

When i get a new rimfire, I go to the range.  I have a carton of ammo boxes, probably 16+ brands by now.  Every time I see a new brand I buy a box.  At the range, I start and shoot a group from each, measuring the group at 50 yards.  The top two brands then go head to head.

Got lucky on both my gopher guns like cheapo ammo,

Only rifle this didn't work for was a Savage heavy barrel Savage...it doesn't like anything...wants to be a shotgun!

Been shooting a lot of Remington  Golden Bullet (525 count boxes), no duds yet.  And I get .5" groups at 100 yards.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:19
Bear looks like you dun been lucky if no duds with any Remington rimfire ammo. At cabin shooting range I have a window sill filled with the duds from rimfire ammo and the vast bulk are stamped Remington... but there are some from other brands too just not so many....most are from Thunderbolts tho. 

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:28
Could be ammo.....could be gun?

older 22s often have weak springs from years of use, and on low cost rifles.  Also the firing pins may not hit deep enough, either because of wear or just built short.  Lts of folks play with the springs and pins, to get them just perfect.   Common thing over on rimfirecentral site.

But really what are a few duds, when we're having fun.  People also suggect that not hitting the rim square means less accuracy.  Again I see lots of stuff on getting the correct rim strike...too much work for me to get .05 smaller group.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic