The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Pawn Shop Prize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 11:40
I think the thought was with a release trigger there is no over travel.  Most guy I shot with were usung them on singles.  I never figered out how to use them on doubles!
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:55
bear, maybe you were thinking of a "set" trigger where you pull either a front trigger to set the rear trigger ultra light OR it can be a single set trigger you pull once to set and second to fire. I think CZ has that on one of there CF models.

found this info for release trigger

<-viewer-group>
release trigger, typically found of competitionshotguns designed for shooting trap, is a trigger that fires the gun when you release it instead of when you pull it.Jan 8, 2008

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 27 February 2018 at 12:58
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 13:24
yep, that is what a release trigger does.  that is why I view it as dangerous; but many competitors use them and never saw a trap range 'outlaw' them.  Just another in the many variety of triggers available for the 870/1100 Remington guns.

I have double set triggers on some of my rifles.  And I have a singl set on a few rifles also, i like them.  Used a single set on my 9.3x62 to shoot my elk two years ago; and used a double set on my 8x57R double rifle to shoot a few black bears.  I think set triggers are great for hunting rifles.

Edited by BEAR - 27 February 2018 at 13:26
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 13:50
Forty some years ago, when I shot a lot of trap, many of the old timers used release triggers. After a while, you brain refuses to pull the trigger, your brain's way of trying to stop abuse. I always wondered, if after a while, your brain also stopped you from releasing it, did you then go back to standard trigger?

I've known several trap shooters, that've had to give it up, due to detached or torn retinas. I also know a few who continue to shoot in league and haven't had eye trouble nor needed to resort to release triggers. I wonder if sporting clays, which seems at least as popular as trap, is harder or easier on your body? I would think because it's less repetitive, it wouldn't cause the same strain.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 14:15
Robert, does than mean I'm an 'old timer"?

I've had macular edema and some eye laser surgery in the past.  Don’t think they were cause by recoil…but!

On Saturday I got a separation of the vitreous detachment in my left eye.  Thinking it is just old age, not recoil.  But it can lead to a retinia tear or separation.   Another Dr appointment Friday; no matter what he says, I’ll be at MYGAWDS 2018 (even if I only fish).

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 14:48
Bear it's hard to fish in an alfalfa field, Less your
"Fishing" for Pasture flounder.
Sucks to get old.Ouch
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 19:23
Bear,
I would have to answer yes, anyone older than me must be old timer. I was talking about the old timers 40yrs ago, what a old timer is changes, as you get older. I just hope, I can stay as active as you, when I'm officially old timer.

Sorry to hear about your eye problem, good to get it checked out. I know three people who've had retina tears, in last year, all have caught it in time. Two were shooters, but the lady never had. She went in for what she thought was cataract check, because of vision problems, she was real lucky, she never had any other symptoms.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 21:00
Hope yall get better Bear . Who ever thought the phrase ,"Golden Years " ?  Musta been some kid .
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 23:46
I hope your eye problems aren't anything serious Bear. 

I wouldn't think the recoil of a .22LR would be anything to worry about, but you never know. I guess if you multiply it by 2000-3000 rounds I guess it could add up. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 06:18
Some one told me 50 years ago, that an old timer was someone who was 13 years older than you.  so the term is a moving target.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 14:16
  Little update on 760 I picked up .

I mounted my old Leopold 3x9x40 on it ,in the old standard Lupy mounts , took some 150 gr and some of my 165 gr loads . Did well pretty much like I was expecting from a 760 . 1" to 1 1/2"  it does like the 165's much more .  I like the groups,  perfect for an old woods gun,and pretty much normal for the breed.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 15:05
Tika...sounds like you have a winner on yer hands!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 16:01
Sounds good Tikka.  what is there not to like?

Eye is static.  so I see a swarm of insects attacking me.  ocassionaly I get a bright flask.  vision is impared.

But I view myself as a '55 checy with a lot of miles on it.  I fix what I can and make due with the rest.  maybe like having  300,000 miles and only need to get another 4,000 out of the old girl.

life is limited, it has bounds.

Looking forward to 'ote and gopher hunting with my son before he leaves for a 3 years overseas.  eye works somwhat.  If a 24 year old 34-20-32 came up to me, I'd have to go braile!!!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 17:50
Wow that don’t sound to good , nothing they can do about it ?
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 18:15
weekly visits, for observation.  wait and see.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 22:02
Dang, Sorry to hear that Bear. I'm hoping it gets better. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic