The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Pawn Shop Prize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pawn Shop Prize
    Posted: 19 February 2018 at 17:24
   I have no idea why I can't walk by these when I see them . Had 7600's in .308,7mm08, and a .257 Roberts , all were excellent deer rifles.   Never have had one in , 06'.  And to find one here in the south is almost unheard of.  This ones a 760 Gamemaster had base's on it already, so the scope was a breeze.

Edited by Tikkabuck - 19 February 2018 at 17:25
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 17:42
Looks great.  In Pennsylvania they are "the Deer rifle".  we can't use semi  so the pump is a jump up fire-power.  Most in '06.

congratulations
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 00:05
My brother had one in teen years. Many claim they lack accuracy, his was accurate enough for deer, out to 500yds. We weren't allowed to go deer hunting until, we could put five rounds, in paper plate at 500yds, from field positions. 760, 740, and lever had to work at it, but all were capable, you just had to use more care, with forearm rest.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 07:32
Two of my past ones the .308 and The 7/08 were good for 11/2”-2” at 100yards , the .257 Bob was highly unpredictable , most of the time under 4” at 100. Lol but it sure drew the looks in that caliber.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 08:33
The 760/7600 has a rotary bolt, just like a M700.  So accuracy is usually very good.  I''ve seen 1/2" (5 shot 100 yards) groups with 308, 7-08 and 35 remington.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 09:43
I thought 760 and 742 shared a common bolt and action type, 760 just omitted gas cylinder, for trombone? The point that could induce inaccuracy, was/is the forearm attachments and how they effect barrel harmonics.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:50
From what I have shot the 760/7600’s are way better accuracy wish than the 740/7400 .
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 12:11
The only negative to the 760/7600 is the trigger.  clearly not a target quality.  But I know a few guys that had the trigger honed by a gunsmith and it made a fair trigger.

It is a hunting rifle, and in '06 seems to drop deer out to at least 225 yards (my bro' longest kill with one of his 760 carbines.  Locally called "the Meat Gun".

I love the 870 pump shotgun; but never  fell in love with the Meat Guns.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 22:28
I have a 760 chambered in .270. It was my step Dads rifle when he was a kid. It has a K-4 Weaver. 

I shot my first deer with it because that's all I had that would kill a deer. 

It seems like an ok rifle but I prefer bolt actions for the distances we hunt. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 09:37
Never hunted with a group of guys in Pennsylvania that didn't have at least one 760/7600 (mostly '06) and one marlin 336 (always 30-30).  popular short range deer guns; and effective.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 12:18
  I have honed my triggers on most of the ones I've had ,and replace the spring ,still like you say Bear not a target trigger but better.
  The place's where I love these guns is in the heavy timber ,and the muddy bottoms , shooting in and around trees . The quick follow up shot without letting it down off my shoulder serves two fold the shot is there if I were to need it, but I can also keep my eye on it through the scope to see where they go after the shot . A real help in some places we have to hunt down here .

When I'm on the farm or out on the power lines ,the bolt will always come out .  But I have to say I have seen a guy, that shots his in .270 on a farm, makes some shots way , way  out there with his  .but it's all he ever shoots. 

Edited by Tikkabuck - 21 February 2018 at 12:19
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 12:35
A few years back, the LGS special ordered 100 m7600 in 35 remington.  I spread the word and they sold out quick.  most buyers just wanted to ream them out to 35 whelen. (need to change the clip to an 'o6).  it makes a real potent griz/elk combo.  As if the '06 with 220 grin bullets wasn't enough.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 22:12
Tikka, 

I'm interested it the trigger work you did to these rifles. 

I guess I never have had it apart that far, but I assume it has a trigger similar to an 870?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 23:32
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:07
Approve  Wow that one makes them adjustable .  I would hone the face of the trigger ,I think it's called nice a smooth , and used springs from a place called ,Patroit .  They have one called Deluxe Trigger tune up kit for the Remy's .

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:09
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 23:54
I don't guess I have ever felt the need to have a light trigger on a shotgun. I've never really thought about it though. 

That looks like the trigger group is easier to work on than I thought it would be. 

Thanks for the input guys. 

Wing master
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 08:10
They are a snap, once you get them out ,you can see how simple they are . To hone and replace the spring .
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 09:06
You can get a 'release trigger' for the 870 shotgun.  tried one once but never liked them...too dangerous for me.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 11:04
The RELEASE trigger on shotguns is really for target shooting ie: trap vs hunting use...too dangerous for that.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic