The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Iguana Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iguana Rifle
    Posted: 02 February 2018 at 18:10
Need an Iguana Rifle

Sort of aghast at all the Iguanas in south Florida.  They are everywhere. Big ones look 7-9 pounds, and I’m sure some are bigger.

Would love to let loose with my CZ 452; but lots of bambi-ites around here; they feed them along the roads and parking lots.  Sort of might need to get me a pellet rifle this trip?  

Thoughts on brand????

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 20:05
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 20:53
If it was me, I'd look at https://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-bt-big-bore-carnivore-qe-air-rifle.html or https://www.airgundepot.com/sam-yang-recluse-dual-tank-357-air-rifle.html Both big enough to take game as big as coyote, hedgehog, small pigs and certainly Iguana. Should be easy enough in FL to find scuba tank to refill, them. Ammo not terrible either https://www.airgundepot.com/air-venturi-356-cal-hollowpoint-95gr.html

You could save couple hundred and go with 25cal, but it would be too small for over 10lb game.

Edited by RobertMT - 02 February 2018 at 20:56
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 21:41
I have a Beemen  Grizzly  it is accurate and powerful . Mine is in .177 .  Mine's not the dual caliber.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 06:45
Now you got my shorts in a knot.

PCP rifles look cool, but expensive.  Got my scuba tank already.

Piston pump guns are reasonable but usually 177/22 and not as powerful.

tough choices???
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 07:43
I have this one, trigger is pretty poor and it's hard to cock, about twice or more power and cocking effort, than springer.
https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-trail-xl1100-air-rifle.html

This one would also work well and with being pump, it's slower to load, but cocking effort, is greatly reduced.
https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-392.html

I've had good luck with these pellets
https://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-pellets-ldp22.html

You can also get 25cal gas piston, but they're hard to cock also.

Edited by RobertMT - 03 February 2018 at 07:49
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 07:01
Bear, I'm confused. Are you wanting to shoot the iguana's or the snowflakes?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 11:29
I have a Gammo .177 I'm not sure what model it is. The thing about it is it's pretty loud. I am thinking if it's the noise that goes with your CZ that you are worried about, It might be quieter with subsonic ammo than an air gun. Deaddog had one at last years MYGAWDS If I remember it was a Remington Bolt action. It was definatly quieter than my air rifle. 

On the other hand, everyone needs a good air gun. 

I think people in Central and South America eat Iguanas. I would try it. 

I'm hoping we get a full report on the time you are spending in Florida. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 20:00

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:07
Got my first Iguana, a green one female, 3 #.

Needed a heavy projectile to put it down.   22 M grains traveling at  36 fps.  Must watch one's trajectory at that low velocity!  DRT

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 12:01
Are you going to see how they taste ? Grilled maybe ?
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 14:11
Hit itfull force.  Front right tire.  Looked like half a pizza; and the other half was ugly!

Taste like chicken.        "they" say!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 18:39
They're supposed to have, way more salmonella, than even chicken. I don't wear them for deer, but I would wear gloves while dressing and skinning them. I would think any good frog or snake recipe, should be good with iguana. I would bet taste is closer to gator or frog, than chicken.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 01:27
I think I will take your word for how they taste. I didn't know about the salmenilla thing.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 02:29
salmonella a significant thing, as they get in swimming pools and spontaneously defecate...need to drain the pool?  Like all birds and lizards, their feces is liquid...instant disease!  Probably more info than anyone needed!

the 22 Million grain projectile  traveling at  36 fps...was my Ford. smashed the ugly sucker.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:46
Having owned a rehab spa, that had pool, spa, and steam room. If the water had proper water treatment, salmonella would be fairly easily dealt with. Shower and dressing rooms, have the most danger, by the way. Many home pools aren't and with the floods, any surface water, would be bad. Small kids on grass, contaminated by feces, would be greatest risk, second would be contact with Iguana itself.

A far greater risk, than eating properly prepared meat, would be produce and other raw food contamination. Most of the recalls of lettuce and greens, are due to animal feces, of various kinds. I would avoid farmers markets and street foods, unless you sanitize it yourself.   

MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 13:44
I am going to go a different direction. Big bullet subsonic with a muzzle break. Not that I am recommending this but my logic starts with a 45-70. I have one and one of the spots I hunt whitetail has houses pretty close and the landowner does not want to disturb the neighbors so I started experimenting with sub sonic loads for the 45-70. What I found was that a 405 grain lead bullet subsonic actually makes less noise than a 22 mag or 17 rim fire.  I do not even need hearing protection on to shoot it and that big 405 grain flat point bullet will punch right though a whitetail. It is pretty impressive.

Now on to my thoughts on the subject. A single shot break open rifle is pretty cheap like a couple hundred bucks. Get it chambered in a .357 mag. and put a muzzle break on it for a couple hundred more. With some 180 grain lead bullets subsonic that thing is going to be quieter than a air rifle and have much more punch at the receiving end and you have the added advantage of being able to use full power load if you want to. I have one of the break open .357 rifles and it is actually a fun little gun.
SW Montana
Go-ddaed View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go-ddaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 13:55
Your load data is way off. A 2015 Ford Explorer for example has a curb weight of 4432#'s. 7000 grains per pound = over 31,000,000 grains.
Palindrome wannabe
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 14:28
They are not protected in Florida; BUT they arrest you if you make it suffer???  multiple shots/hits are considered 'suffering'.

So use enough gun or take brain shots. or SSS
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 18:36
I think a lower weight crossbow or bow, would work pretty good. Use fish arrows and line, to avoid losing arrows.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic