The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Kimber Montana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kimber Montana
    Posted: 22 January 2018 at 21:34
My boy has his heart set on adding one of these to his collection. They seem to found fairly easy and one just popped up over at 24hrcampfire that's been tweaked a bit. I'm not really sold on it and pointed out several reasons why he should steer clear of this one.

Anybody here had any luck with them?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 23:22
I'm not sure if it's a Montana, but Bear has a Kimber. I was very impressed with his. 

I'm sure he knows a lot more about it than I do. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 00:06
Have a 84M Montana in 7-08. When I first got it about 10 years ago I would get four shots under an inch and a flier that would make it 1.5". I would always let the barrel cool between shots 3-4 minutes. I put one of those Limbsaver things on that supposedly help dampen the whippy barrel. Not sure if it helped or was just psychological but my groups were better. Shot my first antelope with it at about 430 yards. Last year I had I threaded for a suppressor and changed bullet weight and load. I was practicing out to 450 yards and was very happy with the groups. About a week before hunting season last year I took it out one last time to check zero and it started spraying. I didn't have time to mess with it so I went with my backup. Just this week I got a different gun threaded and was going to swap scopes with the Kimber. Found a lose scope ring. I kinda figured it was something like that but just couldn't deal with it at the time. I have the Kevlar stock model and it is a delight to carry. Has an excellent trigger and overall quality. It's not a prairie dog gun, it is made to carry. I'm putting the compact 2-7 Leupold back on it. Makes more sense to keep everything as light as possible than have a big heavy piece of glass on it. The compact was enough for that antelope.

Edited by deaddog - 23 January 2018 at 00:12
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 07:22
I've got a  Kimber 84m (260 rem).  Had it for 11 years, seems like 15 deer, 2 antelope, dozens of PDs and a number of southern wild boar..  I have taken it as my backup on elk and bear trips.  overall...love it.

I sight it in for 1"high @ for PA and NY deer and florida boar.  2" high for north Carolina deer.  And put it right on at 300 Yards for western antelope.  It shoots 5 shot groups sub MOA at all ranges with full power  reloads.  Never shot a factory ammo.  Mine is select Walnut stock.  It is light weight for this old dude.  Unlike DD, I have a Leupold VX-3 4-10x.  Old farts need more xs.  I don't find that it kicks anymore than slightly heavier rifles;  The 84m is short action and based upon 308 case length. 

Never a problem.

In the family we now have 3 other Kimber 84m...7-08, 308, 325.  All plastic stocks.   All are shooters, no problems.  Just ccounting whitetails, I'd say these 4 rifles have over 100 in the cooler.

We've NEVER had a problem with a Kimber.

The 325 WSM is my nephew's rifle, he thinks it kicks, so I load it loer to 8x57 standards and he loves it.  That rifle/cartridge would be a perfect elk rifle, esp for a senior hiking up mountains.  I carried a my 10# CZ550FS in 9.3 for an elk two years ago...had the kimber in camp though. 
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 12:55
My boy got a Kimber Mountain assent in 6.5 Creedmoor last year.
It has a 26" barrel but it is pencil thin the gun weighs like 5.5 pounds loaded. Makes a great walking gun he said.
It took some "work" finding a good load, not sure what he came up with but I think it's like a 129 gr something.
The only slight draw back is the thin barrel, heats very fast in multiple shots, which will pull your POI off center.
 The First shot is the money shot so he likes it a lot.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 02:36
He's been looking at the carbon fiber one at just over 5 pounds.....why I will never know. I told him he was a Marine for too long and now is being a p***y about carrying a weapon that weighs less then his lunch. To me, a rig in at 10 pounds fully loaded and glassed is about right. I have a few that are well over that and I never complain about lugging them around even with a pack. To me, for the price tag, it's just not worth it for all the better the out of box accuracy is when there are so many options that are light and more accurate available for many hundreds less. Hell, they are just under the Mark V price point that has sub MOA guarantee! I'm not going to knock them on fit and finish as they are a quality piece of kit in that light. Maybe I'm just getting too old to understand he wants the name?

That Creedmoor is a performer of a cartridge.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 05:22
Rifle/scope weight is a strange thing.  people seem to think 1 pound lighter in a rifle is important; but 2 # in a pack, binoculars, or boots doesn't matter!

As I said " I carried a my 10# CZ550FS in 9.3 for an elk two years ago...had the kimber in camp though."  Why?? I thought the 10# rifle was more appropiate hunting elk for me.

So it is one of those different strokes for different folks.  Our sons seem to have their own ideas.

If I was wanting a super light rifle..I'd get the kimber
If I wanted a great rifle...I'd get the Weatherby Mark 5.

Cost, my Kimber 84m  wood/blued is only $999 at LGS.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 06:57
http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/mark-v-altitude.html

Under 6 lbs.....but 3k! Ouch!!! 6 3/4 lbs. for the magnums though, but still mighty light. Think the carbon job he's looking at is around 12 ish.

I can't imagine touching the trigger on the big mags in a rig that light.....nope! Nahuh...notta chance!   

Just browsed the rest of the offerings from them. They have plenty of them hovering around the 5 3/4 to 6 3/4 lb. range, one in 338-378 at 6 3/4....my shoulder flinched at that thought right there. That one was at 1700 bucks for a Mk V....not too bad.

Edited by jsgbearpaws1 - 24 January 2018 at 07:09
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 08:11
Kimber Montana has a sub moa guarantee.
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 09:46
For me those weights are ony good in a 7 rem mag and smaller cartridge.

I understand that it is often said that you don't fel recoil when shooting at game.  BUT!

If wants to shoot game over 200 yards, some amount of practice is required...practice can hurt.

As mentioned my nephew has the 325 WSM in a SS Montana.  He is 39 and in great shape...kicked to much for him to shoot!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 07:00
Seems he's leaning towards the 280 AI......glad he's getting into loading his own.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 07:31
should be a do everything rifle.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 11:30
I think it would be a great rifle. If he goes with a .280 I really think he will be happy with it. 

I forgot that DD had one. I never have had a 7mm-08 but I think I need to try one out. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 11:34
Wing, I think you just had a 6.5x55?   if so, stay classic and metric, get the 7x57 Mauser, not the 7-08.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 19:44
Good point Bear. 

I'm thinking my next rifle will be a long ways down the road. 

I have 2 rifles I haven't shot yet. The weather and work has gotten in the way of getting both of them dialed in. 

I am kinda into old school guns and cartridges though. I never have thought too much about getting a 7x57. I might just to have to do some comparisons with it and the 7mm-08. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 06:27
Factory 7x57 is loaded way low; because of the weak Mauser rifles it was originally chambered for.  If you load it in a modern rifle to the same pressure as the 7-08; then the 7 Mauser is significantly faster.  I have one in a Ruger model !.

Think of it similiar to the 260 Rem vs 6.5x55   smaller cartridge with lower pressure.   260 vs 7x57  same thing.  like the 6.5x55 the 7x57 should be on a long action.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 23:32
It sounds kinda like the 6.5x55's sister cartridge. Very interesting. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic