The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Thompson Center Venture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thompson Center Venture
    Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:03
  Just wondering how many of ya have one ,and what do you think of them  ?  
  As far as the whole Tupperware ,cheapy rifles are concerned I think I like them best ,always shooters, great customer service if ya need them ,(I did with my muzzleloader) .

Don't get me wrong I would still rather have my Tikka's,or an old Winchester ,Remington ,Sako ,or Ruger 77 . Just talking the new generation of cheap rifles.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 12:57
In general, the old Thompson Center is gone.  The Rochester, New Hampshire plant burned.  Smith and Wesson bought it about 2007, move things to Springfield Mass.

Certainly S&W is a fine firearms manufacturer.  Unfortunately they know little about selling rifles; but they want to be a rifle manufacturer.  T/C also wanted to be a big time bolt action seller.Usually selling "More for your money".  The Diemension failed in the market, and the ICON gave too much of things people didn't want.  Smith couldn't sell the 1500 (same rifle as the record selling Weatherby Vanguard).  So buying T/C seems to be the same desire.

I've handled and fired the Venture rifle.  Seemed fine, to me.  My bro' bought his grandson a T/C Compass in 243, about 245 with scope.  I helped develope loads for that T/C.  The trigger is said to be adjustable, it came at 9#,  could only adjust it down to about 5#.  A lighter spring could help much.  I think it is the same trigger as the Venture.

All the burget priced bolt guns today will have plastic stock with integral trigger guard; so few after market stocks will be available.  To get a wood stock means custom mag/bottom metal.  The mags are all plastic too.  For some reason (strength) the new guns have a small cutout for the ejection port; means no single shoting it.  must load the mag only to feed properly.

I think it is a decent rifle; unless you want to customize.  If you want to hunt/shoot it like it was made then it works for me.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 14:26
I never thought about the reason for the small ejection port on some of the new rifles. Strengthening up the action makes sense. I kinda don't like the looks as much as the open actions, but maybe I like the idea more now. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 15:43
  I was thinking about putting a Boyd's PRAIRIE HUNTER on the 25-06 ,really like the cheek piece . It's almost like the Weatherby stocks.  I'm not to into the  Dimension or the Compass . (ok what's happening to the letters )  Love my Omega can't remember how many deer have fallen to it.

Edited by Tikkabuck - 13 January 2018 at 15:44
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 18:32
I have a Thompson Center Venture Predator in 22/250.
It is out standing...
It's light, compact, reliable in -40* and will shoot a primer out of a 20 gauge shot shell at 100 yards.
I Zero it at 200 and it puts me 3" low at 300, so If I can see it I can kill it.
To date my longest coyote DRT is 1/4 mile.
We reload and use Varget and Berger 52 gr .
It seams to eat most anything in the 50 to 60 grain class with the 52/53 being the best. It does like close to the top loads better then light loads for what ever reason.
I use a 4x12 Redfield on top .
 Only slight problem I have found is the 3 shot clip.
 You Have to absolutely HAVE to hear the "Click" when you put it in , if you don't it will be lost and there $40 each...
AND in very cold weather it is important to clean off the bolt and use dry lube or will de shooting a single shot.
I have shot a several  1000's rounds so far and it seams to shoot better the more I shoot it.Big smileBig smileClapClap

Edited by d4570 - 13 January 2018 at 18:33
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 22:23
Haven't found a plastic Detachable mag (aka clip) that doesn't fall out on shot unless firmly and repeatably pushed in.  My Tikka is the same way, mag is $60.  I'd glue it in permanently except, you can't load thru those small receiver ejection ports.  

The M700  is still my idea of a proper action.  My solid wood bottom M700 ADL has the closed box mag half filled with epoxy to further strengthen the stock, gives me a 2 shot mag.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 09:13
   Here's one a guy did with a Boyd's .

Edited by Tikkabuck - 14 January 2018 at 09:15
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 09:17
  Bear you have a Tikka ,what model ,caliber ?  Cool 
  I do miss the old Remington's . 788's , Bdl's ,and Adl's  .
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 13:03
yea Tikka, I have a T3 Hunter Wood model in 222 rem.  Bought it because I wanted to shoot 40-50 gr  22 cal.  It was the only 222 rem with a 1:14 twist.  Unfortunately I paid list, $998.

But I do like the stock configuration, bolt handle.  Wood is fair looking at best, sort of like Mossberg pump.  I would throw the plastic clip Terrible design) away, but you can't single shot it.  Trigger is OK, adjustable but would be better if it could go down to 2#.

That review over.  It is one of  my best shooting rifles...maybe THE best.  I shoot it weekly, and take it varmint hunting; PDs, groundhogs, fox, 'otes.  The 222 cartridge is just fantastic.  And the 227/8 barrel makes it considerably faster than any AR in 223.

I've not shot anything heavier than a 55 gr bullet, and those group .5 MOA.  It shoots better than I can.

I love it...because it performs.  If it would only do 1.5 MOA I'd have sold it.  It is the 3rd 222 rifle I bought in 5 years...the other are long gone.  Owned it 2 years last week.

Deaddog explained to me the virtues of the 222/223 for PDs..."you can watch them explode".  Previously I was using a 22-250 for under 300 yds and a 243 for 300-600 yards.  Great, but didn't see them cut a dog in two.

'bro and neuphew both have them in 308...and they like them alot.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 16:17
 I didn't even know they made them in 222 . I loved my 22-250 . Wish I had that one back it was an older 595 Hunter.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 20:41
I have a tough time parting with guns that shoot or I like.

Been passing some on to my son over the years.  Now he is headed overseas  for 3-4 years, can't have any guns there.  So I get them all back now. 

The 22-250 is a nice accurate cartridge.  My only negative is that the wind plays to much with it over 300 yards.

The  595 Hunter would seem to avoid all the negatives i find in the T3.  The T3 are all long actions, shortened by a bolt stop and a plastic tab in the plastic mag.  595 is a true medium action.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 22:54
I really haven't looked at them until now. They look pretty impressive for the price. Their MOA guarantee says a lot about their quality. 

I really do think it would be worth a closer look. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 09:22
The 5r barrel really makes a difference ,and I like the 3 lugs and the heavy bolt.  I've had them in .308,.223,and now the 25-06 ,all good hunters . But I really like wood stocks. They made one for awhile with a wood stock, boy were they pretty .
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 09:43
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 11:05
That is my girl.  except it has better wood.  And my stock has a nicely proportioned roll-over check piece, with a high-scope comb.  fits me great.

What does the 3 in "T3" stand for???

Mine is a standard two locking lugs up from...like Rem, Sako, KImber, Mauser.  Bolt handle is dovetail attacked and is nicely polished and hollow...beautiful handle, not like an ugly tactical handle.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 11:12
sorry we stole your thread Wing.

Mine is actually called   

Tikka T3 Forest .222 Rem Rifle JRTF611

https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-forest-222-rem-14in-twist-224in-bbl-jrtf611.aspx

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 18:44
I'm a blued steel and walnut guy too. Theirs something about a synthetic stock that really doesn't appeal to  me.

That's why I was so dissapointed when I found out I couldn't use the Winchester featherweight stock for my Swede project. 

Oh well, The stock I ended up with is more stable in bad weather conditions and lighter. Maybe it will grow on me. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 04:30
Those laminated stocks are sort of splitting the baby.  I have one in Coffee on a 338 mag.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 09:30
Oh ya the Forest ,the stock is a lot like the one on my 243 Whitetail Hunter with the deluxe stock . Glad they brought it back.  I don't have a picture of mine but it just like this.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 09:42
that is mine exactly.  If the stock is an up grade, maybe I didn't over pay.  But the stock on your post is much better wood than mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic