The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Why are the squirrels against me.???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are the squirrels against me.???
    Posted: 07 January 2018 at 08:15
Been hunting deer with my flintlock, generally sitting even though the temps are killers.

But when the sun does show, I switch to squirrel hunting.  I see a lot and they seem to come out when it gets bright and wind is low.  My age is making me see tree rat hunting as a new wave in my hunting life.

Problem is they are jumping me.  They spot me first.  Now, I'm dresses head to toe in white camo (snow is everywhere).  And with the snow I can creep quietly.  But they are still busting me.  Usually when I'm 30+ yards away.

There are few devoted squirrel guys in the woods these days.  Why are they so skittery???
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 09:52
Because every white blob shoots at them....Big smile
PS;
I'm starting ton see gophers pop up out of the snow,
must be getting close.

Edited by d4570 - 07 January 2018 at 09:53
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 10:54
Maybe.  I was thinking more fox and coyotes looking and chasing the grays?

Looking forward to MYGAWDS 2018
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 16:41
Owls and hawks are hard on critters, this time of year. Unless you have bobcats around, birds likely get more squirrels anything else. Ravens are real hard on the nests, later in spring, but they're and the eagles are pretty busy on roadkill this time of year.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 00:07
Watched a red shoulder hawk get a gray squirrel yesterday.  Snow on the ground really does show up those little guys from above  when they run.

I plan to stalk up and act like a nut!
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 08:42
SWMBO get's home early from work a couple of days bay.  This is out the dining room window.

Where is that squirrel gun when you need it!

I saw a lot less squirrels this season than in the past several.  More hawks, less coyotes.

Keep warm, 788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 08:43
need a pellet gun there 788?
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 18:28
That looks like a close range shot 788. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:49
Bear, You need an F-150 or larger to get them! I've found it marginal on deer,(placement issue no doubt), but it seemed to stop a grey in it's tracks today. I'm not certain as to it's lethality on chippies though as they are the tree wolverine of the east!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:58
Grays are smallish.  get your self a good adult male Fox squirrel....you need the Super Duty model.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 15:13
I like the way your thinkin.....sadly a beer budget. I do have a big fox squirrel hanging out next door as well as a few smaller but quicker black squirrels. They may be every bit as acrobatic as the chippies, but I doubt they are as resilient.

Buddy has an albino squirrel mounted on his shop wall....weird.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 08:56
bear you maybe gotta be a bit "squirrelly" to be a good squirrel hunterWink
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 09:22
I'm already  qualified for that IBD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic