The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

12 days left

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 days left
    Posted: 01 January 2018 at 15:15
Got state wide buck and doe tags for 12 more days......FLINTLOCK ONLY.

Hunted fri-sat...great timed.

Repaired smokepole today and went to range.

Ready for wed-thur.  then friday-sat.

Lots of snow and cold....love it.  I don't even care id I get one, it is just the ultimate time to be out.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 18:20
SOOOO
like how many deer yo you shoot a year two dozen ?
lota snow and drifts here too and -33* 
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 00:26
My folks 30+ years ago, shot couple bucks, near Thompson river. They were staying in town and lots of dogs were around, it was cold, Thanksgiving weekend, well below zero. They hadn't skinned them, like normal, after getting back from hunting, they just hung them up. Dad was worried about dogs getting to front end, so he raised and tied the front and heads up too.

Well they froze solid that night, they loaded them standing up, in camper. They drove back home to OR, people kept staring when they passed them, then they realized people were seeing, the deer standing in camper, through the windows. They laughed most of way home, until Mom got worried if some kid, would think they had Santa's reindeer and made Dad close the curtains in camper.

When they got home, Dad unloaded them and stood them up in front yard, while they unloaded rest of stuff and camper. The nieces and nephews got their pictures taken with them.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 07:18
Better stay north of I80 today Bear. It's a shade nibbly in the southern half of the state today. -17 in Somerset plus wind......brrrr. Only -1 here on the hill, -8 down in the valley. I do like the occasional temperature inversion.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 08:59
D I always focus on THE first one!

With the kids gone, one is about right.  

Best year was 7 whitetails...recurve, crossbow, rifle(20, pistol (2).
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 14:06
Back when kids were still home, I'd average couple dozen. I used to have job I worked three 16hr days and had four days off during week, every week. (one of the things, I miss about being married at time, I could be gone hunting, half the year)

I bow hunted at time, first season opened Sept 1st and last "normal" bow season closed Jan 31st. You could get 1 MD/WT buck, 5 WT either sex (prison ranch) one each MD and WT doe in both region # 6 & #7, 14 WT does in various bow zones, one either sex Elk and bear. These were all over the counter, you could put in for drawings for, extra late season cow, extra WT does, either sex Antelope, along with two doe antelope, for either #5, #6, or #7, to go with either sex tag.

By time kids started hunting, you could buy, up to seven doe tags each, to go along with buck tag. You could put in for and most of the time get drawn for antelope, with extra tags.

People say, that's why all the animals are gone in MT. Wrong, the numbers are down on public land, due to poor management, several bad winters in row, wolves, bears, and ED/Blue tongue. Now there's enough private land that doesn't allow hunting or has it tied up in leases, most game moves off public land, until weather forces them back onto it.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 14:11
Originally posted by RobertMT RobertMT wrote:

People say, that's why all the animals are gone in MT. Wrong, the numbers are down on public land, due to poor management, several bad winters in row, wolves, bears, and ED/Blue tongue. Now there's enough private land that doesn't allow hunting or has it tied up in leases, most game moves off public land, until weather forces them back onto it.

100% on that !!!!!!
Claim is there are more deer now then when Louis and Clark came by
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 17:27

I also agree D!
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 22:47
Great story about your parents Robert. I like stories like that. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 03:20
My Mom is entering late-stage of Alzheimer's, so she's seldom "there", during my visit early Dec, Dad was recounting this story, while we were watching DVD of clips, niece put together for Mom's 79th BD. Mom got laughing, so hard remembering it, she hard tears running down face, before long everyone was joining her.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 21:41
Sorry to hear this about your Mom Robert. My Dad is somewhere in the middle stages of Alzheimer's. It's tough. I really feel for you and your family. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 22:22
Sorry to hear about your Dad too, Randy, it's not a kind disease.

Don't want to hijack Bear's thread farther.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 05:19
My mom passed away with Alzheimer's; actually she was healthy except for it.  While I missed my normal mother in those last months, I visited her daily.  And even when she didn't know who I was, she still had a smile on her face most times.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 10:45
Maybe that's why it seems, so overwhelming, because the distance, I'm not able to visit as often. Every time I do visit, she seems to want to see me, but on other hand, it's very disruptive to her routine and she seems to take a turn for the worse.

I know it's because she uses up a lot of her reserves, putting on a good front, besides the additional stress of having extra visitors, while I'm there, there's also the letdown, when I have to go home.

I guess it would be easier, if she wasn't in so much turmoil. What we later discovered was her progressing from mild to moderate stages, was first thought to be PTSD. For months, well still to this day, after their house was burglarized and cleaned out, she thought they were coming back to kill her and Dad. Then the night terrors and hallucinations began, when she didn't recognize Dad anymore and was in constant state of panic, Dr. finally realized it wasn't PTSD, but a form of dementia. They first treated just the vascular dementia, because of her know cardiac history, including occluded carotid artery, it took couple years to realize she also has Alzheimer's.   

Thanks for allowing me to express my frustration, believe it or not it helps, I'll stop now.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:30
Lots of us understand Robert.

By friend who lives beside my cabin is in ICU now.  Family is having a meeting today to pull the plug.  Their comes a time.  I took his wife to the hospital; too cold and too much snow for her 4WD.   He is not the happy person I knew just 5 months ago.  I chose to remember the Lee of last year, always a smile and many happy words. 
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 08:08
Well, it is -10 oF outside right now.  looks like a bright and clear day...near perfect to hunt....BUT in my state Sunday hunting is UNLAWFUL!   old Blue Laws.   At this temperature I'd be blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic