The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

50 bulls and not a cow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 bulls and not a cow
    Posted: 28 December 2017 at 15:11
Well I guess I'll have to wait to answer my question.
I feel sure the 6mm would kill a cow elk ,But no cows to test it on.
We hunted and "scoped" a LOT of country.
Bull after bull after bull.
Groups of bulls ,and a herd of bulls.
Some monsters some little peanut heads but all bulls.
We put the hunt on suspected cows time and time  again, only to find more bulls.
The ranch owners put us on areas that where loaded with elk.
Yup all bulls, some we hunted to with in 50 yards.
AND, did you know my camera will not work at -20*?
If I could step out side the truck, I could get one picture, more then that and nota .
Two days sun up to sundown chasing bulls .
We where seeing a lot of deer and coyote tracks too.
SOOOO
 On the trip home we called coyotes, It was warming up to +5 in the daylight , nice...
I was afraid our cold coyote streak was going to persist.
It did for a few but, we where hearing call back at most of our sets, that was encouraging.
We kept at it till the wind was about as high as we like to call in and it "Broke".
A group of 3 coyotes came charging in to our challenge calls looking to kick some butt. 
They came in on my side, so I knew the boy would not shoot till I did. At that point , no presser a 3 day hunt ,butt cold miles of walking and not a shot fired, right no presser on the old man.
They stopped about 200 yards and froze looking for a threatening coyote. It's now or never.
 The safety on the 6 slid down almost by it self the cross hairs dead center shoulder of the end coyote. Bang, flop! and The six seemingly moved to the fleeing coyotes like a laser tracking a MIG fighter. I heard the FP switch to the fox bang and the wounded coyote yelp and the front runner hoped to a stop to look back.
Now closer to 350 yards . Again the coyote was dead center in the scope, bang, Flop!. The third disappeared someplace never to be seen again. My son jumped up to congratulate me on a specular funk braking Double. He was surprised to see me digging in the snow. He hollered what the heck are you doing ?
"I look up and said I'm looking for my brass", haha funny thing to be doing after that he said. But Hey there 6mm brass and as valuable as the coyotes to me. I only found one dang it.
IT FELT VERY GOOD to have two dead coyotes laying in the snow.
It was the last set we did the wind just came up to hard to continue , and we still had 3 hours home.
No Elk but we broke the funk and had 2 very nice coyotes , What a perfect way to spend time with the boy.
I did find the 80 gr Barnes TTS at 3600 fps a little rough for shooting coyotes, Going to need a needle and thread to sell the furs but hey there dead.

NICE.

Edited by d4570 - 28 December 2017 at 15:20
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2017 at 16:06
You know if a person made another trip, later, I bet some of those bulls would be dropping horns and coyotes, should be hanging around, if there's any cows to be killed. Calf elk distress call, off to the edge of junipers, might bring in either cow or coyote to investigate?
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2017 at 16:20
Maybe!!!

The season runs to Feb 15th
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2017 at 18:32
nice big dogs.  congratulations.

leaving for two day flinttlock deer hunting in the mountains; but taking my 'ote call also.  5o F now, 9oF tomorrow, with some snow!
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2017 at 19:20
I knew I could count on you D...was looking for some blood in the snow!!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2017 at 20:30
Unless snow settles in a bit, we're going to have fairly heavy winterkill. It held off late and many animals held too high. It's getting deep enough and unstable enough, to have slides already. We normally get some warm temps, last half of jan to settle base down a bit and let yarded up animals break out and drop lower.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2017 at 11:10
Good shootin on the dogs D! Sorry about the Murphy's law on the bull/cow ratio.

Might wanna try the ole' reverse psychology on them next time. When exiting the truck just say you hope to get a nice bull and BINGO! All cows!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2017 at 11:39
Maybe
I'll try it next time.
There is still time for a round two.
 Feb 15th the special hunt ends .
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2017 at 22:13
Too bad about the elk, but way to go on the coyotes. 

Good shooting. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic