The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

6MM for cow elk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6MM for cow elk
    Posted: 21 December 2017 at 10:33
What is your opinion ?

You know about my Lazar, I mean the 6mm rem I put together.
I shoot a 80 tts gr Barnes at 3600 fps in a group about an inch at 200 yards off my bipods.
I got draw for an elk damage hunt over in Valentine Mt.
 I can shoot two cow/calf.
I talked with the rancher and he said the elk are hanging around the hey stacks and now that there is a lot of snow there staying there all day.
All that said;
Do you think I would be ok shooting my 6mm ?
I have the Marlin 45/70 300 gr Hornady HP 2495 fps. I know that is a better choice but I have killed elk with it before.
The boy has a Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor I could use but I have never shot it.
Then there is there 338/378 , I'm not a fan of this rifle.
I'll bet you can guess why. BUT it does kill elk...
Then maybe the 375 H&H but I regress...
I'm asking about the 6mm.
Anything under 200 yards and I feel confident I can put the bullet any place I want .
What's your honest thoughts?
I plan to shoot two, probably in the same spot/herd.

Edited by d4570 - 21 December 2017 at 10:40
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:06
If you took a high neck shot or a head shot, no problem. The trouble with those, they move around a lot and kill zone isn't much over two inches.

A heart lung shot, would put cow down, with 6mm, but not as fast and sure as something larger. Cows aren't much harder to kill than MD and most run around 400lbs, so aren't much bigger than big MD buck.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:17
Kinda where I going with this thought.
 There probably going to be laying around
And a heart/lung shout would be tough.
 The 45/70 will blow through the leg and shoulder and in to the heart.

Edited by d4570 - 21 December 2017 at 11:18
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:21
I know several people that hunt elk with .243's and one guy that uses a 6mm Creedmore. They seem to think they work fine. 

I have a theory that speed kills. I would say that at 3600 feet per second that is a lot of speed/killing. 

If it was me, I would try it on the first one and have something for a backup to use on the second one if it doesn't work as good as you hoped. 

I would really be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:28
Often it's tough to get shot, on single animal in group, if they're milling around. If they're bedded down, either a head/neck shot or waiting for them to stand is best. It's tough to get chest shot on bedded animal, even across coulee, they are often at weird angles.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:33
YUP
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 13:44
As I said,  Two years ago I shot a coww elk in Utah. It was 93 yards. I held 1.5 inches behind the eye. Dead on it's feet. True, I was shooting a full power 9.3x62 286 gr. It did take off the far side of the skull and about half of the brain matter was outside.

I doubt that the 80 grain copper pill would do that much damage in a cente body mass.  , BUT I think a head shot would drop a cow or a bull right there.

Even at 150-200 yards, having seen you shoot that 6 Rem, You should with a bipod be able to brain her. Think of the cow brain as a coyote at 200 yards from last years hunt.

A lung shot could mean lots of trailing and dragging!!!

My dack up rigle on that elk hunt was a 260  (aka Sweeeed).  Took it for some possible 'otes and PDs, but had confidence it would work for me.  A lot to be said for using a rifle you know well and trust.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 15:02
You guys do know your talking me in to this.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 16:40
Throw the 45-70 in truck just in case, but for head and neck shots 6mm is plenty.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 18:36
YUP
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2017 at 08:42
My nephew shot his with a .243 . And with Barnes bullets why not ? there's plenty of youtube videos of Elk with a .243 and doesn't the 6mm have more speed ?  
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2017 at 15:10
Originally posted by Tikkabuck Tikkabuck wrote:

doesn't the 6mm have more speed ?  
Yes a good amount more.
stinky View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 08:43
You are not going to have a lack of penetration.  Your bullet will be able to go from chest and then come out the posterior.  The problem, it aint gonna have much mass to it.  But, on the positive side, if you find it (doubtful, it will have over 70 grains when you do).

I do not advocate heart and/or head shots.  I know people that do it, and they get away w/it and they tell me that their critter drop...but I also know what it means when you shoot a jaw off.

Therefore, shoot for the chest cavity, always.

A .243 can bust up a shoulder and then, your solid bullet, will still be able to go on in, from there, and penetrate through the lungs....it just ain' gonna be that big when it does.
John 14:6
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 09:53
All about confidence levels on ear shots. Sounds like the tool in question is up for it. I would never suggest a hyper velocity round to the ribs if you want to keep as much meat as possible, 3600fps is going to turn a lot to jelly. Is it capable, hell yeah, but the damage is extensive. I'ld say ear is optimal, and the vitals secondary.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 11:46
Lot of meat on an elk.   Some Meat loss is better than a long track/drag.

Range is important.  Not that the velocity/energy goes down....BUT accuracy diminishes quick with range, add cross wind...and ouch!
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 14:09
I have seen several elk shot with a 243 and it like most calibers it depends on shot placement and bullet performance. If you have a bullet that will not come apart (like the barnes you are using) then a lung/heart shot will work just fine as longs as you are broadside and don't have to quarter the shot. I use the head shot regularly and have had very good luck with it. I usually aim at the point where the head and neck connect because it is a little bigger target, a little high and you get a direct brain shot, dead on takes the brain and neck out and a little low breaks the neck. Any of the three hits it lights out. 

With your setup I don't think I would worry about taking either head or lung shot I think it will work just fine.
SW Montana
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 14:16
Thanks .
I think your right. If A cow would have surfaced I would have found out.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 02:36
.....not sure if it's enough.....bounced a doe off the side of my truck last night flipping her end for end and she just jumped up and walked away! F150 wasn't enough to do the job I guess....downside, I now have a small clean spot on the side of my truck,(perhaps a skidmark on the seat too), so now I guess I gotta wash it. Perhaps I just need to work on my aim with it?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 08:18
Were you going 3,600fps? It's all about velocity and aim, if you'd hit her center mass, she wouldn't of walked away.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 08:40
Yup ask Bear.
 I hit the doe center mass with the Sub at 70 that's 102.666667 Feet per Second and that's plenty to put it down.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic