The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Variable Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Variable Scopes
    Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:54
Most of us use variable scopes.  Guess 3-9x 40 is about standard.

Just wondering what power people use when atually firing the shot at big game???

I find my scope on:
 3x for whitetails and 10x (highest setting) for antelope, shot my elk last year on 7x(highest).
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:14
Redfield scope 4X12 40.
 I seldom very far from 5 to 6 Power.
I scan on 12 but hunt on 5.
 Prairie dogs seem to require  the higher magnification but that's
because I'm almost as old as you....Shocked
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 13:12
I leave mine on lowest setting and if I have time and conditions permit, I crank it up.

I use a lot of the Christmas tree type reticles, in second focal plane (SFP)scopes, so if you're using holdovers, you must be on magnification, they're set up for, most often the highest, unless scope's higher than about 24x and then some are set at 10x or 12x instead. SFP Mil dot type reticles, have same restriction. If your reticle, appears to change in size, relative to background, with magnification changes, it's First Focal Plane. If it stays same size and background gets larger, it's SFP.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 18:15
Originally posted by RobertMT RobertMT wrote:

I leave mine on lowest setting and if I have time and conditions permit, I crank it up. 

Yep same here!
All my variable power scopes are on lowest setting when hunt starts.

PS: I still use 3 fixed power scopes: 2.5, 4 and another 4

Ray
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 19:04
I hunt big woods mostly. While sitting in my stand I usually have my scope on 4. Hunting from a stand you, usually, have the time to crank the scope up if a further shot presents itself. Happened this year, 104yd shot, cranked it up to 8X (2.5-8). While still hunting I usually have it set at 3, unless the snow is hanging on the trees bad and visibility is limited, the old Marlin with the peep sight gets the nod then (usually). When I went to Montana I had the scope set at 6X, cranked it up to 9 or so for the shot (117yds) not very far for out there, but longest shot I have ever made on a game animal.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 03:04
Fixed 1.5's on the AR's and a 6x18 on the 10 but it's my paper puncher. I keep mine on 3 and crank it to 9 on my hunting rifles if time allows, but most always at 3 and most shots have been at 3.......well, most recent anyways. I still love the irons but my eyes aren't 20 yrs old anymore.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 03:19
Seems we are all pretty similiar.  shooting game with low power, especially those in the east where shots are 50-125 yards.

Our west more XXXs might be the norm.

So did we make a mistake when we when from a standard 4x to todays 3-9X  ???
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 08:24
Mine stay on 3 or 2.5 when I'm hunting the woods. but when we get into the big fields or on the power lines 200 to 400 yards that's when I turn them up . 
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

So did we make a mistake when we when from a standard 4x to todays 3-9X  ???

Not at all.
There are time with my old eyes I need to have 12x to see if there is any antlers on top, and if so how many points before I sneak any farther.
OR
Trying to thread a bullet between branches or grass on a sneaky coyote.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 08:55
I think variable has many advantages, instead of fixed 4X, I believe many would benefit from 1-4X. with illum German #4 reticle. With it's wide field of view, heavy post, open view in top half and illum fine center dot, it's about perfect for woods hunting, for bear and other game up close, post is quick and illum center dot, shows up well against dark background.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 13:52
I have 1.5X6X42s (30mm tube) on my two primary hunting guns.  More often than not, it'll be on 1.5.  If there's time in the stand, as said above, sometimes I'll dial it up to look for a rack.  The way tags work here in CT, you get one either sex and one antlerless.  If I fill the either sex early with a buck, I need to make sure I don't pop another one later in the season. I have a Burris MTAC with the AR reticle on my R788.  I sometimes use the mil dot scale to estimate size.  That needs to be done on 6X.  Around here, adult does tend to be about 36" or larger stem to stern with the yearlings being smaller.  I'll let those pass.

good luck, 788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 21:46
My deer scopes here in midwest are 2-7 and hang on 2 until I need more IF time to crank up. Western scopes for varmints  (center fires) 4-12 or 6-18 types so use higher X when shooting little critters. However, on the gopher guns (.22lr's) have 3-9 & 4-12....mostly set on high end for them.
I use bino's mostly to look for antlers or other features....or to scan for critters.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 10:17
I'm never out without my binoc.  Feel naked without them.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 22:18
I hunt in pretty wide open spaces. 

I put mine on 5X or 6X when I start out and if I see a game animal that I happen to have a tag for, I usually get buck fever too bad to even think about adjusting the scope. So, I usually hunt big game at 5 or 6 power. 

On prairie dogs I will turn it up. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 07:23
Interesting point Wing; does the immediacy of the hunt overtake a scope change.  The more I think about it, that is probably why we actually shoot on lower powers.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:19
If it's inside couple hundred yards, you're better off leaving it on lower power. First you generally don't have time to change power and second you most often want the lower power, in case of game movement. If it's beyond three hundred yards, you're going to setting up rest, either bipod or pack, might as well crank it up, beyond 500yds, you better have lots of time to get good range, rest and hold over or pass on shot.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 11:45
At least for me it does. 

When I see an animal and start to stalk up on it, a whole year of thinking, planning, and adrenalin all come to a head at once. I just hope that all of the shooting I do will give me enough muscle memory and hand eye coordination to pull off the shot. Everything else goes out the window. 

It does seem to be getting a little better as I get older, but I don't see myself being able to make any unnessassary adjustments while under these conditions for quite some time. 

But, I sometimes am able to get a range on one that looks like it might be too far to hold right on. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 13:47
love that adrenalin !!!  

But there is always a negative in my brain...when I pull the trigger....the hunt is over.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 16:48
Unfortunately, other than walking up on griz, in the dark, my adrenalin is pretty steady. I do like seeing new hunter or kid get a shot though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic