The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stocks
    Posted: 05 November 2017 at 11:34
reworking an old simple stock.  Thinking should I add a grip cap.

What are your thoughts on grip caps?

white spacers?
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 11:50
Grip Cap! Might depend on what type of rifle. Certainly not necessary to the shooting but can add some class if done right with right material and skill. The grip cap you would add would be made of?????........contrasting wood, metal, plastic etc. White spacers not so much to adding any class as far as I think. How 'bout insetting a case head of rifle caliber in center of grip cap?????....maybe with deactivated (un-dented) primer in place or even better yet....a Diamond or Ruby as a "primer".Thumbs Up
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 13:35
Maybe a morgen silver dollar??
I don't think I have a preference either way Sleepy
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 20:29
Thinking a sun burst, horn cap with white spacer.

Also a frined gave me a beautiful 1 1/2" bronze coin with a raise antelope in full stride.  would look nice on the off-side checkpiece,  maybe?

I also like the deer head or sqyirrel siting  on a branch carved it stock  ???
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 20:45
Bear, SOME pretty nifty ideas out there.....if you follow thru with this project.....YOU need to provide PICTURES!!!!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 21:41
I grew up with 700s, grip caps, tips, and bottom metal, seems like something is missing without them. Biggest thing "lacking" with lam and syn stocks.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 05:44
Robert, interesting point...there are no 'embelishments" on syn stocks.  you would think some 'cool' things could easily be cast into those molded units.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 22:07
I really like grip caps. Probably my favorite one was a picture Rob1 posted of a skeletonized grip cap that was inletted into the grip. I'm thinking that might have been on CB's 6.5x55. It was a thing of beauty. 

I am kinda old school, if no one has noticed. Therefore I also like white outlines on grip caps and forends. Not that white lines are THAT old, but they were popular in the 50's and 60's. 

I do like your horn idea with a white line. 

What rifle is this stock going on? I'm with IBD. I would like to see pictures. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 07:38
1895 Krag, bishop stock.  not fancy just a truck gun.  30-40 krag.
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:17
I like it simple;

Steel grip cap
NO white spacer.
Ray
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 23:39
I think that would make a really classy truck gun. Definatly not too classy but just right classy.

I'm starting to think a truck gun would end up being a rifle that gets shot more than any other rifle in my accumulation. That also means it would probably be the gun I would shoot better than anything else I have. 

My truck gun that I have now is a model 28 Smith & Wesson. The thing is unless I am in a self defense close up situation it is pretty useless. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 07:20
Just a thought.   a  t/c contender 10" barrel in 223!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 07:53
I'd guess most of us carry some type of handgun in our "trucks".....but as wing pointed out it is really for a "close encounter of the worst kind" type of situation. The Contender Bear mentioned of course would extend the range closer to that of a rifle, if one became proficient with it. 

Another thought I had for a "truck" gun would be an M1 Carbine, stoked with appropriate loaded ammo beyond "ball" ammo. Short, handy, rugged, reliable, good irons, easy to stow securely, 15rd or 30rd mags available, lots of ammo could be stored in a pretty small space. Most have been retrofitted with bayonet lugs for an added bit of "backup" if you run out of ammoWink
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 08:42
The M1 carbine is indeed 'perfect',  but they are north of $1000 now.  a fair amount to be hanging in an un-locked truck in WY.

mine cost $11 +postage  from my uncle sam.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 23:33
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

The M1 carbine is indeed 'perfect',  but they are north of $1000 now.  a fair amount to be hanging in an un-locked truck in WY.

mine cost $11 +postage  from my uncle sam.

EVERYBODY has an M1 Carbine hanging around the house....
& I LOCK my truck...in WY or anywhere else for that matter....but yer correct Bear on the pricing being in that range give or take a hundred or two either way.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 07:16
Wing's truck doesn't have locks!

The only place I don't lock is in my driveway.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2017 at 21:50
Who needs locks. 

If something ever did happen that the doors on Ol' Rusty got locked, I would have to find a new truck. It not only doesn't lock, I don't have a key. I'd never get in. 

Speaking of that, I don't have a key to the house either. I think their is one under the welcome mat though. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic