The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What rifle would you suggest?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 08:24
I'd hit that! Thumbs Up
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 10:23
W m,

I, too, like bolt action rifles.
Here's a look at my truck rifle:

Its a bubbized British Enfield No4Mk1*
Ray
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 10:50
Nice rifle Ray. 

That's what I have in mind. Something that I can beat around and not worry about it. 

Also I have a bunch of .223 ammo. Like a bunch, Several thousand. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 10:55
OK, Let me see what I can find for you.
Ray
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 11:30
Sounds like you need a 223 bolt rifle with a syn stock!

LGS has  223 bolt rifles new:

Rem 783 with 3-9x scope and mounts  $289
Rem 700 ADL with monted and bore sighted 3-9x w/mounts  $399.
Sav  Axis w/3-9x and mounts  $379  w/o scope $249.
t/c Compass  $219
Ruger American  w 4-16x  $379
Savage Walking Varminter  $#25  $399
Marlin 336 w/scope in 30-30 $299

So many great prices today.

I bought a 783 in 7 mag.  Bro' bought a Compas in 308.  both nice rifles.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 20:21
Ray....nice looking truck gun!  .303 British or re chambered?

Bear....some good prices in your list there.....and some good rifles too.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 20:59
Good choices there Bear. 

What is the difference between the 700 and 788?

I'll look around a little more before I decide on something. I did look at the 700 ADL and the Howa again today. the bolt on the Remington feels looser and rougher in the action than the Howa. Earlier I said the Howa stock was a Bell and Carlson. That isn't right. Its a Hogue. 

I also looked at a Savage Axis and a Ruger American. They weren't .223's but the rifles seemed to be good for what I'm looking for. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 21:22
Wing, check out the Ruger American vs Savage Axis....both good choices...but I think the Ruger has a better stock synthetic with something like piller bedding and their version of an adjustable trigger system very similar to the Savage accu-trigger system. 

The 788 Remington is discontinued and only available as used. A very accurate rifle and was the economy rifle of it's time. Ugly stock & pretty heavy for it's size. A very different action from the Rem 700 altogether. It has 9 locking lugs at the REAR of the bolt & a very stiff action which contributed to its accuracy reputation + 18" heavy bbl. Not so super trigger. Detachable box magazine. It was also offered in a LH Bolt handle with Right Hand ejection port.

Had 2 of the 788's in .243 & .308, now each kid has one of them. Put RAMLINE synthetic stocks on each of them, look waaaay better and some lighter too. Didn't seem to affect accuracy....for sure they are still minute of deer! Some of you saw the .243/788 at one of the early MYGAWDS, carried by my son back then for the coyote hunt part.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 21:36
788 was a low cost bolt, made to drive the Savage 340 out of business...and it did that.  When Savage dropped the 340, remington dropped the 788.

However the 783 is the low cost remington today.  Savage like barrel nut, glock trigger safety.

It will never be a 700 BUT for the $229  I paid, in camo syn stock and 7 mag,  it is perfect truck gun.

Edited by BEAR - 05 November 2017 at 10:46
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 23:01
Sorry. I meant 783. 

Like Bear said earlier, what ever I get I will have it for a long time. A hundred bucks + or - will be forgotten long before I am finished with this gun. I am hoping to get the best quality I can in my price range. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 05:23
Seems there are diferences in the criteria;  quality, but something that can be abused with truck riding without sorrow.

Maybe a somewhat worn/used quality rifle.

Is 223 a strong necessity?

Maybe a used Savage 340 in 222 or 30-30.
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 13:13
Originally posted by Irish Bird Dog Irish Bird Dog wrote:

Ray....nice looking truck gun!  .303 British or re chambered?

Yes - .303 British
Ray
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 15:09
Ray
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 15:19
Only Ruger I find interesting for truck (not bolt action):

Ray
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 15:27
CZ are interesting, too:

Ray
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 21:34
Ray,
Those are right along the line of what I am looking for. Thanks. 

That is the first 600 Remington I have ever seen with a vented rib barrel. I wonder what the point of that was? Maybe it raised the sight to the level of a scope?

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 04 November 2017 at 21:36
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 22:12
The original 600s all had raised rib/ventilated.  I seem to recal that the rib was plastic epoxy glued to barrel!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 22:18
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

The original 600s all had raised rib/ventilated.  I seem to recal that the rib was plastic epoxy glued to barrel!

THE ONE WE HAVE THE RIB IS SCREWED ON BUT IT IS PLASTIC. AS IS THE TRIGGER GUARD.
No usable function to rib as I saw it and the plastic trigger guard somehow warped a bit too. I think Remington folks thought Rib added a "cool" factor maybe.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2017 at 22:20
Originally posted by RaySendero RaySendero wrote:

Only Ruger I find interesting for truck (not bolt action):

Mini-14's are getting rather "spendy" now days....
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 05:39
Maybe I just shot bad ones, but the couple mini 14s, I've shot had terrible accuracy. They were somewhat popular during evil black rifle ban, but fell out of favor, with it's sunset.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic