The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What rifle would you suggest?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What rifle would you suggest?
    Posted: 30 October 2017 at 22:01
For a while I have been thinking I need a bolt action .223. I have a bunch of .223 ammo that I loaded for my AR and I really don't shoot it very often. I think I would use it kinda as a truck gun. I wouldn't leave it in my truck, but any time I leave town I could grab it in case I ran across a coyote or prairie dog town or anything else that needs shootin'. 

My question is, I can get a Remington model 700 at walmart for $379.00. It has a cheap looking plastic stock and even cheaper looking scope. 

The other option is the local sporting goods store has a Howa 1500 for, if i remember right, $489.00. It's a "salesmans sample". I assume that means it should have the better options??? It has a lot better stock. The stock looks a lot like a Bell and Carlson but it very well could be something else. and it has no scope. Not that that matters, because I would replace the scope on the Remington about as soon as I got it. 

Witch one is the better buy? Remington 700's are usually pretty accurate and it is cheaper. On the other hand, I have had two Howas and they were accurate and I really liked them, but they are heavier than the Remington. Also I'm not 100% sure I can get used to the cheap plastic stock. If I decided later to replace it a new stock would be more than $100. Probably closer to $200. 

Thoughts?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 22:20
hey wing, for a "truck" rifle I'd look hard at the Rurger American line. I have one in .223 which I consider my truck gun....LH version of course. Very good pricing and nice trigger plus reinforced synthetic stock to enhance accuracy. Not heavy and short bbl makes good truck gun. 

Give it a look see here, click on link.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 23:04
Lots of inexpensive combo rifles today, and they shoot great.  Ruger American, Rem 783, T/C Compass, etc.

But, I'd go with the 700ADL or SPS ay Walmart.  My son has one in 223 to complement his AR.  Shoots lights out with a 1:12 twist.  In family we have about 8 of those low end 700s, great way to go.  Lots of add on 'stuff' available.  I was using a 700 adl in 22-250 to 'remove' a prairie dog town, rumor has it.

I think a  "salesmans sample" means it is used, or shop worn from being on a display rack and handled by customers.

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 06:36
Not your classic truck gun, but I have a few in different chambering's and they shoot decent. Even when not on sale, $100 rebate makes them pretty decent price.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-fv-varmint-rifle/1994604.uts?slotId=3
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 10:43
With those two choices, I'd say the Howa 1500 hands down. It is simply a higher-quality rifle, in my opinion...and it hurts to say that. I am a fan of the old Remington 700s, but something has happened to them over the years, and it hasn't been good.

I owned a Howa in .233 for a little while, and was very happy with it. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it, but we had no car at the time and a guy proposed to trade the rifle for his car, which was in pretty good shape - so, I did what I had to do.

The Ruger Mini-14 is always an option, but it's not a bolt action....

Edited by TasunkaWitko - 31 October 2017 at 10:44
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
MtElkHunter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MtElkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 12:52
I am looking at the same thing a .223 in bolt. I saw a Remington model 7 in the gun store in .223 and it was nice but the price was a little more, $450 or so. I liked the feel a lot better than the Ruger or the Howa.
SW Montana
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 13:56
Look in to a CZ.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 15:15
Remember, if you are like me, you  will enjoy this rifle for a lot of years.  So a hundred bucks +- isn't a big deal.

I'm a BIG CZ fan thanks to CB 900.  Can;t go wrong with one, especially a FS model.
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 15:19
If a CZ is thrown into the ring, I'd be choosing that, as well.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 17:54
I think when you are talking a "truck gun" than you need to take into account it will bounced around a lot and needs to be on the compact side and durable and reliable and reasonably accurate (a good scope added not necessarily a $2K Nightforce for example) and a synthetic stock vs nice walnut and not super shiny blue or shiny stainless and cambering of your choice and I feel a (removable type) magazine fed gun and not overly expensive and tuff so it (and scope)can bounce around in your truck for years. Not what you'd want to do with a high $$ glossy rifle....U can still have those "other" rifles too.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 18:58
Why not use your AR for your truck rifle???
Ray
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 23:25
I would really like to have a CZ. Especially this one.

The thing is, It's not what I am looking for. It's a little over the price I think of as a truck gun. And the full stock model is way too nice to beat around in the cab of Ol' Rusty. (My hunting truck). Like IBD said, I don't want to worry about it. If it gets the blueing rubbed off and a few dings in the stock then it has served it's purpose.

The Savage looks good. I will try to handle one and check it out before I make a decision. The Ruger American too.

I could use my AR as a truck gun, but I am really more of a bolt action guy.

It looks like I might not get to work tomorrow since it's raining and supposed to snow over night. If that's the case I will go tomorrow and look at what the local gun shop has in stock and get a feel for what I think is the best quality for the price.

Thanks guys. I'll get back and let you know what I find.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 07:28
How about a used somewhat worn Marlin 336 in 30-30? about the most classic truck gun.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 19:17
Bear,

I have thought about that several times. I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It's from the mid 60's and it's in really good condition. 

Every time I think about it, I get it out and decide it's in too good of condition to beat around. 

I guess I could look for one on the used racks around town. 

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 00:47
beautiful classic.  like the pose against the tree with snow cover!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 09:26
Thanks Bear, 

Every year I have one "old school" hunting day. I walk through the woods with a lever action with iron sights and try to have no new technology. No GPS, no synthetic clothing, etc. Nothing newer than the 1940' or 1950's. 

I never have gotten a deer on my "old school" day but it's a really fun hunting day. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 10:51
Nice, Randy - and I am 100% certain those old-school hunting days are the truly memorable ones. Hug

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 17:28
They definatly are Ron. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 20:03
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 00:38
I agree Robert. That is a good deal. Thanks

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic