The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What rifle would you suggest?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 23:27
Originally posted by jsgbearpaws1 jsgbearpaws1 wrote:

I'ld go with a 6- 6.5 class gun for the truck. Fast and flat enough for any varmint and big enough for any of the rest if need arises. Easy enough to find a used Savage 110 or a Ruger 77 in the .243. A good ring set like the SSK, TSOB and a Nikon prostaff, all in for under 5 bills and will take a beating and still shoot well.

JSG, 

I have been kinda using a .243 as a truck gun for the last several years. Every time I go out to the field, I throw in my Sako Forrester chambered in .243. 

The thing is, It is starting to get dinged up and that is starting to hurt my feelings. 

The other thing is, I have several thousand rounds of .223 loaded for my AR and I never shoot my AR. I doubt it will be very accurate in this gun because I loaded it to feed in my AR. But when I get enough brass to 

I guess this is the first time I have bought a rifle just because I had some ammo. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 03:23
Here's another utube, with basic trigger job, skipping shim and spring replacement. Instead it shows just clipping spring and polishing trigger. If you use carpenter's pencil, instead of rubbing compound, you get smoother surface. Video shows using unsupported rag to polish, a little compound on piece of glass or block is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=57&v=B3GvLTi2CCA

If this doesn't clean up trigger enough, go to full shim and spring replacement utube. Be sure to leave enough pressure on spring, to hold sear engagement. Link to trigger test, post #2 of thread.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?40510-Axis-DIY-Trigger-Job

Edited by RobertMT - 12 November 2017 at 03:28
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 03:34
I get what your saying. I have a few AR's as well.....and I know a few k rounds at the range goes fast. You may get lucky on the Axis liking the ammo you already have worked up. Unlike those CZ curtain rods, the Savages tend to shoot everything pretty well.

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 04:03
I seem to remember a beef farm down in the grasslands that was just filled with those big deer!!
Go-ddaed View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go-ddaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 07:38
WalMart had a end of season sale on garden supplies?

Palindrome wannabe
Go-ddaed View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go-ddaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 07:46
Palindrome wannabe
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 08:31
I know that the OP found his rifle but I enjoyed the read. I also thought I would address a couple of comments concerning the Rem 600.
Originally posted by Irish Bird Dog Irish Bird Dog wrote:

Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

The original 600s all had raised rib/ventilated. I seem to recal that the rib was plastic epoxy glued to barrel!

THE ONE WE HAVE THE RIB IS SCREWED ON BUT IT IS PLASTIC. AS IS THE TRIGGER GUARD.
No usable function to rib as I saw it and the plastic trigger guard somehow warped a bit too. I think Remington folks thought Rib added a "cool" factor maybe.

The idea behind the rib was the same as that with a shotgun, provide a sighting plane on the short barrel and the ability to dissipate heat waves on that plane. The design concept of the 600 & 660 (6.5 & 350 RM) was a lightweight carbine. The rib is was made of DuPont nylon and the trigger guard was plastic. All an effort to keep weight at a minimum.

Most riflemen now, would not know who the fellow in this ad is. This man did not participate in the development of the 600, which originated with Rem, he quickly embraced it for his purpose, and he was used to promote the rifle. Clicking on the ad will open a full page ad.

The man is Col. Jeff Cooper, father of the scout rifle concept. Back in the sixties, his face was just as well known as is Gunny's today. His comments "Show me a carbine with real power and I'll buy it!" was a direct comparison of how many felt about trying to figure out how the current weapon used by the military would ever fit as a "sporting" carbine.

The 600 was very popular in my neck of the woods, South Texas, and I know many hunters that bought them and still are using them. I never saw a 660 in 350RM down here but the 6.5RM was very popular as well. I know a ranching family that still shoots it, saw the writing on the wall for its demise and bought several generations worth of brass.

The ribs did warp and crack, and the floor plates did bow from magazine spring tension. Rem replacement ribs are available, they are now made of polymers. The trigger guards are still plastic but available. Ribs and guards are now available in aluminium and steel. There was a misconception that the rib could be simply removed. The only problem with that is that there are lugs welded on the barrel that support that rib.

Redfield made a Jr. IER mount for the rifle. The rear sight needed to be removed, but the base incorporated an adjustable rear sight. I own a Rem 600 chambered in 35 Rem and it is one of my most treasured firearms. It has the Redfield mount, an aluminum rib, and steel trigger guard.

Ribs, steel ribs, with rifles can also be used to stiffen a barrel. The common issue with a SMLE No. 5 is that poor accuracy as it heats up. I own a gunsmith project rifle that addressed the issue with the steel rib.

The rifle was made in the sixties when the 600s where being sold, I bought it a few years back and added a scout base to the rib.

Originally posted by RaySendero RaySendero wrote:

W m,

I, too, like bolt action rifles.
Here's a look at my truck rifle:

Its a bubbized British Enfield No4Mk1*

Ray, like your idea of a No. 5 as a truck gun. 10 rounds of 303 British quickly out the barrel with something like the 215-grain Woodleigh is impressive.

I just had a No. 4 Mk1 made it to a modern scout, it is not a Jeff Cooper concept rifle, but it is extremely accurate and the action fast.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 09:32
Wing if I was looking for an inexpensive truck gun this would be it . They are really great shooters right out of the box. And you can get them in lots of different configurations  . I'd stay away from the Savage axis like I would my X wife. LOL

But then you know me .
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 14:50

Tikka. I looked at the Ruger American and it was a close decision. The reviews I read were a little better on the Savage, and the Savage was in stock locally. 

If I can't get 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards out of it I can always plant a couple more tomato plants in the garden. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 14:54
Ranch Dog. 

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the information. I enjoyed reading it. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 14:57
Go-ddaed, 

This is the first Savage I have ever had. 

It seems like the people that like them really like them. The people that really don't like them, really don't like them. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 15:12
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

I seem to remember a beef farm down in the grasslands that was just filled with those big deer!!

I was in that area yesterday elk hunting. I saw a lot of big deer. 

If it's deer season and I have a tag in my pocket, I'll have a bigger gun. 

I'm really hoping that my 6.5x55 project is done before next deer season. When I dropped it off on May 5th, I told him I needed it  back in time to work up loads for hunting season. I guess I need to be more specific next time and tell him what year. 

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 16:29
Originally posted by Tikkabuck Tikkabuck wrote:

clip
I'd stay away from the Savage axis like I would my X wife.

Axis are very ugly, even uglier than a Savage, but like a ugly women, they try harder and you get used to their looks.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 20:10
And if they don't perform you don't mind staking tomatoes with them. 

Wing master
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 06:31
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

Ranch Dog. 

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the information. I enjoyed reading it. 

Wing master

Thanks, been gone too long, but life is finally providing me with some free time. I've always really like this member group.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 07:05
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

And if they don't perform you don't mind staking tomatoes with them. 

Wing master

They are known to shoot well enough out of the box and are cheap enough to beat them like a redheaded step child and not feel bad about it. But if you want a fickle beauty that is afraid of riding in a vehicle without having it's own heated seat and cover and a bed of cash to lay in, get a CZ. Beauty is as beauty does.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 07:43
Nice deer Ranch.

I recognized the pic/ad of Cooper because of the 'scout' scope configuration.  

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 19:26
I picked up Axis today and mounted scope and did trigger job.

I found an even simpler method.

Take out spring cementing compound, as seen in trigger 1:00 in video, after you have gunk removed, screw the spring down tight, you'll see upper spring is fatter, screw spring in until that bulge is against trigger. Test it at this point, it's the same spring as Savage uses for accutrigger, it just is cemented in place and missing blade safety. Mine went from seven pounds to four pounds, at this point, that's light enough for grandson. If you wanted it lighter, you could clip a coil or two and smooth up creep. I want to leave a little creep and travel for grandson, to learn on.

Edited by RobertMT - 16 November 2017 at 19:30

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2017 at 19:52
I'll try that trigger job first Robert. Thanks.

When you get a chance to shoot it let us know how it does. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 18:38
You know, I just noticed how cheap rifles are getting........wow!

Anywho, my son gave me an early Christmas present, a 7mm Winny SP OR XP something, probably should look a little closer, but a rifle is a rifle and how it shoots should be the deciding factor. Comes with a Vortex on it and it seems to gather light very well and is clear enough to work well. Grabbed a box of 175 BTSP's and set up at a hundred. First was high and left, easy correct and put 3 in an 1 1/4" triangle..........OK, sure, it's a synthetic stock and has a fair amount of bolt wobble, but lock-up is tight and consistent and smooth as you could ask. Trigger breaks clean and not too heavy so a new stock is all it needs to be the new winner in the safe! Too nice for the truck but it was free and who can argue that price!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic