The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Old Fart Season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Fart Season
    Posted: 22 October 2017 at 12:15
Here in the 'Sylvania' woods we have lots of deer seasons.  All slightly different.

The special 'old fart' deer season is in the middle of the muzzleloading season and the archery deer seasons, and is concurrent with the squirrel, grouse, rabbit season...dah.

So basically, if you are over 65 and have drawn a whitetail doe tag, you can hunt does with a CF rifle for 3 days.

Problem with being an OF is that all your hunting buddies are either dead or can't walk any longer.  So, since I refuse to give up, I've hunted the last 3 days straight.

Basically, I load my 260 Kimber ultra lightweight, walk 200 yards into beautiful oak forest on state land.  When I get in 200 yards I open the bolt as a reminder NOT to shoot any thing..can't drag them out!

So for 3 days I've taken my rifle for a walk (2-6.5 miles a day).  I scout new places/stand locations (i'll never hunt), and take my backpacking stove and cook an early 3 pm meal.  The last 3 days have been high 30s at 6am, and 72 at 2 pm....beautiful, with the mixed hardwoods in perfect fall foliage.  Visited the location of 20-30 deer kills in my earlier life.  Saw the spot where my son killed his first deer, and 300 yards away where I shot my first whitetail.  2 miles away I drank a toast (from my water bottle) at the favorite places my 2 buddies  to like to hunt when they where  alive.  A little sad, but lots of good memories in that 6 mile square.

Never saw any one in the woods.  Saw grouse, squirrels, and 3 does...all are still there and I don't even have to clean the rifle.

3 martinis last night, helped the feet and calves.

Great to be alive...can't wait till next years OF season!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 13:19
WAY TO GO BEAR Hug!!!!Hug

Edited by d4570 - 22 October 2017 at 13:19
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 15:53
It sounds like you had a great 3 days. I have a place like that. My first deer my sons first deer and my daughters first deer along with many years of memories. It is sad that those days are past. 

I'm glad to hear you are getting out. 

Don't ever give up. Even if you don't always harvest a deer it is a great time to be in the woods. 

Wing master

Edited by Wing master - 22 October 2017 at 15:54
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 07:49
I do enjoy making a good shot and seeing the deer drop right there, but I have killed so many deer that shooting one  really doesn't matter.  It is really just getting out in the woods, especially on beautiful days.

OF season is over, and it is raining right now.  Wife is gone driving to Buffalo, after house chores and cleaning 3 rifles, about noon I'm going to go squirrel hunting for a few hours.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 08:42
Squirrel and rabbit hunting are still fun, that's the one thing Montana is lacking in, a decent eating squirrel. Some of the towns have grey squirrels, I guess they started as stowaways or were imported some other way.

A good mess of small game, is easier to pack outta woods, than deer. Grouse have been pretty scarce around here, between the extra snow, spring rains, and dry summer, they either had a poor year or aren't in normal spots. Hunting them with cap & ball, makes it even more fun.

We have fair numbers of snowshoe hares and brush bunnies, cottontails are fairly scarce, away from the creek willows, on this side of the hill.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 09:07
Western grouse vs eastern grouse.  like day and night.  those western grouse sit on a branch a few feet away; I was shooting them with my k-22 .22 pistol.

Eastern grouse are gone in a blur when you are within 20 yards; and they fly behind trees...must have a GPS and radar on them!
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 09:26
Nice report.....Keep on Keeping ON Brer Bear....keeps you young and handsome.....well maybe young anyway.....Smile...and guns need a nice walk in the woods too!

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 09:42
Added value of 'just' taking the rifle for a walk....no cleaning of bore!

But as I go to the range 2-3 times a week, usually taking 2 rifles...I get to clean 4-6 rifles a week...ugh.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 23:11
Bear, 

Maybe you could find a young neighborhood kid that wants to learn to hunt, but doesn't have anyone to teach him. That could be a win win. You get someone to help drag and he learns to hunt. 

Just a thought. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 07:47
Wing good thought, it would be best if a relative.  Unfortunately today, there are too many wacko kids and parents.

UNFORTUNATELY,  Today     It is never good to be alone with any child, not your own.  Too many charges and suits over "made up stuff".  sad society.  especially here in the liberal  east!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 09:36
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Wing good thought, it would be best if a relative.  Unfortunately today, there are too many wacko kids and parents.

UNFORTUNATELY,  Today     It is never good to be alone with any child, not your own.  Too many charges and suits over "made up stuff".  sad society.  especially here in the liberal  east!

Agreed Bear, it is a sad state of affairs that our country has fallen to this low level where one cannot feel comfortable in offering any kind of "passing on skills" with a youth without fear of being accused of any kind of charge of wrongdoing with that assistance. Sure puts a crimp on any kind of mentoring to young folks.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 10:09

I consider myself fortunate in that even though my youngest son is a raging teenager, with all of the angst that one would expect, we manage to still have hunting in common. The opener was this past weekend and it was too windy, but looking forward to this coming weekend. We thankfully have several weeks to do our hunting, and I am grateful to Montana for that.

As I get older, I'd really just rather see that he (and his brothers, when they are along) get their tags filled first, before I worry about my own. It is good to know that they will all know how to feed themselves and their families.

My dad will also be getting a tag this year (at least one), but I think his focus is more on the deer that keep invading the garden and crabapples out at my parents' place. His transition into Old Fartdom is going pretty smoothly, and I suspect that when my time comes, It will be a smooth transition, as well.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 10:11
I really does make one shy away from involvement with youth groups, even Boy scouting has problems/risks.  25 years ago when involved in scouting, the rule was NEVER be alone with a kid...ALWAYS two adults at all time.

Even a fraudulent charge involving a minor will ruin your life (even though it is proven wrongful).

yes, very sorry society we live in.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 18:39
I was a Cub Master for a few years when my kids were young and involved but we had Den Mothers, who were actual real mothers, to work with the kids who were obviously boys. I was mostly a helper and resource for the Den Mothers. They held the meetings in their own homes. Never gave it a thought to be working with the kids. Also, taught Hunter Safety for 10+ yrs with 12yr olds, mixed boys and girls and never a concern. We used the public school building for our sessions with real firearms for the hands on portion of the training program. Try getting away with that in today's society. Today you are right in having more than one adult in any kid activity. Same with little league programs etc. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 22:03
I never thought of that. I guess I live in a part of the country where all these "Big City" things haven't taken hold yet. 

When I was about 13 or 14 we had a neighbor that was a diesel mechanic. He also was into hot rods. Whenever I saw his garage door open I would go in and watch him work on cars and pickups. 

After a while I was asking questions and evidently he didn't mind because he didn't run me off. Pretty soon he would let me do small stuff with him looking over my shoulder. I'll never forget the time he let me put the distributer in a small block Chevrolet and run all of the spark plug wires. He didn't say a word each time I asked if I was doing it right, he just said we'll see if it starts. It started and ran pretty good. 

He worked for Halliburton Services, An oil field service company. When I got out of high school he helped me get a job as a mechanic working with him. He taught me quite a few things about Diesel mechanics, but the thing he taught me that was more valuable than anything was "Don't be afraid to take anything apart to see how it works. That's how to figure out what it takes to fix it". 

I just saw him a couple of days ago. He came into my work. He's in his mid 80's now and we're still pretty good friends. 

I would never have thought of making any kind of false accusations about a guy that took the time to help some pain in the ass kid that wanted to learn something. 

I guess times have changed. I hope those times don't get here any time soon. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 09:30
My dad died when I was 10; no uncles of grandfather.  Luckily a WW-2 vet got me shepherded into shooting.  Then I hung out with about 12 vets who taught me to shoot and hunt.  All are deceased now.  But they were good guy, would pick me up in thee car every Tuesday night to shoot until 10 pm.  NEVER happen today.  sad, when I think of the things I could teach a kid.

IBD...even the way you wrote is a no-no today.  "...  for the hands on portion" .....can you imagine how the media could  twist that and that you have an arsenal in your home.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 10:47
Bear, u wrote "
IBD...even the way you wrote is a no-no today.  "...  for the hands on portion" .....can you imagine how the media could  twist that and that you have an arsenal in your home."

I'm pretty sure you & our good friends on this site understood that the "hands on" part of the program was for the kids to learn how to safely handle firearms by a "hands on" approach....not hands on the kids! However, I can understand where you are coming from....there are some out there who certainly would take the dim view of those words. Maybe even lurkers on this site!

I was recalling HISTORY of what was back when I/we were young....didn't mean to imply it would work fine today. Sad that it might not.

Fortunately for young folks there are still those who volunteer to coach all kinds of sports activities like baseball, basketball, football, hockey etc plus hunter safety folks too for the young of today who have the interest. Bless those volunteer coaches.

I believe the NRA offers special insurance to NRA members who are NRA certified to teach the many firearm related programs they offer. That of course may be for liability if someone gets hurt with or because of a firearm in the program vs child molestation or abuse.

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 25 October 2017 at 10:55
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 11:32
I understood your post and the way you used the words.  Just pointing out how cautious today's society is.

Sex molesters take advantage of locations that get them close with kids; baby sitter, teachers, youth volunteers, coaches, training assistants.

Think of the Penn State molestation...hundreds of kids, 20+ years, and all covered up by college educators.  If I was the sentencing judge on  Jerry sandusky trial, there would have been no need to store him in prison. 

You might not know it, but recently his son Jeff Sandusky, ( a 41 year old prison guard) pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors and 12 felonies (child abuse) in a deal with prosecutors, under which he might serve three to six years in prison.   Like father, like son.

I don't know if sex assault is new to our society; or has been here forever and is now just televised??? 

The cover ups are just as bad...maybe worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic