The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > The BSBookClub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Meat Eater, by Steven Rinella

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meat Eater, by Steven Rinella
    Posted: 14 September 2017 at 12:44
From the book description:

Quote As a child, Rinella devoured stories of the American wilderness, especially the exploits of his hero, Daniel Boone. He began fishing at the age of three and shot his first squirrel at eight and his first deer at thirteen. He chose the colleges he went to by their proximity to good hunting ground, and he experimented with living solely off wild meat. As an adult, he feeds his family from the food he hunts.

Meat Eater chronicles Rinella’s lifelong relationship with nature and hunting through the lens of ten hunts, beginning when he was an aspiring mountain man at age ten and ending as a thirty-seven-year-old Brooklyn father who hunts in the remotest corners of North America. He tells of having a struggling career as a fur trapper just as fur prices were falling; of a dalliance with catch-and-release steelhead fishing; of canoeing in the Missouri Breaks in search of mule deer just as the Missouri River was freezing up one November; and of hunting the elusive Dall sheep in the glaciated mountains of Alaska.

Through each story, Rinella grapples with themes such as the role of the hunter in shaping America, the vanishing frontier, the ethics of killing, the allure of hunting trophies, the responsibilities that human predators have to their prey, and the disappearance of the hunter himself as Americans lose their connection with the way their food finds its way to their tables. Hunting, he argues, is intimately connected with our humanity; assuming responsibility for acquiring the meat that we eat, rather than entrusting it to proxy executioners, processors, packagers, and distributors, is one of the most respectful and exhilarating things a meat eater can do.

A thrilling storyteller with boundless interesting facts and historical information about the land, the natural world, and the history of hunting, Rinella also includes after each chapter a section of “Tasting Notes” that draws from his thirty-plus years of eating and cooking wild game, both at home and over a campfire. In Meat Eater he paints a loving portrait of a way of life that is part of who we are as humans and as Americans.

I gotta say, I like a lot of that! Clap
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:52

When I got Eva Shockey's book for my niece, I also got this book for my youngest son, Roger, who is 15:

Here is the Amazon link, for anyone who is interested: http://a.co/7Q1DOL8

I had never heard of him until Roger discovered his show on Netflix, and we now watch it quite a bit. Overall, I like the guy; his style is a bit too "edgy" for me; I am more of a "Jack O'Connor" fellow, but at the same time, that's what gets ratings and sells books these days, so I really don't complain.

What I did notice are that he has a lot of passion for the outdoors; he has been hunting, fishing and trapping all of his life, and he loves every minute of it. He is not reticent at all about "jumping in with both feet" and doing things, and he loves to share his enthusiasm with others. I also like the fact that he spends a lot of his time showing folks how to care for and prepare the meat that they hunt.

All-around, a good choice, I think.

Edited by TasunkaWitko - 14 September 2017 at 11:42
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic