The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Buff lotto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buff lotto
    Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:57
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:25
I'm in !!!!!Big smile
We did a free range bison hunt one year.
 We are talking FUN!!!!
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:32
Sounds good but.......hunters capable of hiking eight miles a day, carrying a 60-pound pack and hitting a paper plate 200 yards away five times.

Shooting is no problem......eight mile a day on flat land OK  add the 60 # pack and I'm out!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 20:03
Bear, 

If you put in for it and are picked I am willing to go with you and carry your pack. I'll help carry out the meat. Since it said the indians get the head and hide I figure they can carry that out themselves. 

Just a thought, 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 20:50
Might work.  Figure they make the hunter get our the meat/head/hide...then hand it over to the tribe?
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 21:21
Probably so, but I will help with that. 

Sounds like a great time. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 23:39
did any of you catch this?????  Means finding a lead free bullet for your caliber and a new load and sight in too.

The reduction plan would allow volunteers working in a team with a Park Service employee to shoot bison using non-lead ammunition to protect endangered California condors that feed on gut piles.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 06:40
That is why Barnes is in business.

I could load up some 338 mag with  Hornady  185 GMX.  the 9.3x62   250gr GMX would be good out to about 200 yds on the big cows.

Or  a challenge with a 270 gr  GMX in my 375 pistol?

lots of options.

HOW DOES ONE APPLY???????????????????????????/
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 09:13
Do "they" make a 405 gr or 530 gr .458 lead-free bulletQuestion 

It would be most fitting to use a Sharps or even a Rolling Block or Trapdoor or 1885 Win (in my case a BPCR) with BP to boot. Crossed sticks and tang sights!

THAT would be a "Buffalo" hunt!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 13:54
I ain't got none of them things!!!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 13:59
The D-I-L 338/378 will down a Buff and they use a 250 TSX FB Barnes.
And like 98 gr RL22, I think, and 2900 fps.
The boy shot his Bison with my 45/70 and a 300 Barnes TSX FN.

50 gr of AA 1680,close to 2400 fps.

Shocked
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 22:35
It would be cool to harvest a Buffalo with a Sharps. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 23:28
YOU get it Wing......with BP and crossed sticks and buckskins....
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 22:39
Ya know....I have been itchin to get my ole Bear recurve out of mothballs
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 00:06
ya know...I too have an 'ole Bear recurve stashed away someplace....no moth balls tho...what we gunna do with them?????.....Confused
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 06:56
We shootsta boofawo wit em!

I have two of them. a 45 and a 55. No pins, no weights, nuffin! Just lotsa practice and goin old school....sorta.Wink
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 07:19
I've got a great Browning recurve, getting a little long in tooth.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 07:55
Just turn your head a bit more to the side and it won't get caught on the string!

Choot em like us blessed imjuns did....then again, after a quick look at broadheads and shafts, my .375 ammo is looking cheap.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 08:35
pulling this thread back to the original theme...Bison Lotto application for special hunt....

One of the criteria to get accepted is a 200yd shooting accuracy requirement.....now it has been said injuns used to kill "buffalo" aka Bison with a bow & arrow system so maybe it can be done....however, it would be tuff to meet the 200yd accuracy criteria of the program I'd guess.Confused

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 15 September 2017 at 08:38
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 09:12
still need to know how we apply, especially as I now have a volunteer pack carrier.

Sort of glad they take the meat...too much  for me and wife.  20# would seem fair to keep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic