The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What do you carry in your day pack?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you carry in your day pack?
    Posted: 25 July 2016 at 17:12
900f made a really good point in another thread about
getting all of my stuff together and then getting a
pack that it will fit in.

Here's my list just off the top of my head.

25 to 50 feet of paracord
A knife
A small bone saw. I carry a Wyoming saw.
some snacks. Power bars, granola bars, etc.
a couple bottles of water.
Head light, flash light, extra batteries.
GPS
Range finder.
Trash bag big enough to put backstraps in.
Water proof matches and a lighter.
some extra rounds of ammo.

I'm sure their is more and maybe I wouldn't need some
of these things.

What do you take for a few hours to an all day hunt?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 19:10
I have heard it is not a good idea to use the Black trash bags for meat. Not sure if it has any merit but the reason was the black bags were made from recycled plastic and not "safe" for meat. Never researched it but now I carry the white ones.

wing your list looks pretty good.

I'd add a plain old magnetic compass for backup to the electronic gizmos. Maybe a topo map of area for same reason. some sort of first aid kit...I carry a spool(s) of dental floss too...very strong for size/wt and can be used to repair "stuff". I repaired a sling in MT yrs  back when the brass screw went missing on loop. Still that way, tied with the dental floss. You can even use it to floss your teeth if you have any!

goes without saying to have a good pair of binos with you. Now days there are those gadgets that you precharge to carry to recharge a cell phone or camera or etc. Also, they have small (smartphone size) solar generators for same use...recharge from sun power.

When hunting with a partner(s) it's nice to have a set of those 2 way FSR radios to keep in contact.

next.....your turn someone...
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 00:59
Wow Am I under prepared. Most the time I don't carry a pack at all. When I do it's mostly empty. As the day heats I can shed layer after layer, or the opposite If I'm walking in to sit for hours I have extra stuff to put on and not freeze to death. Two bottles of water and some band aids that's about it. My binows are in a chest carrier my knife, saw , and camera is on my belt, extra ammo in my pockets. I normally don't eat anything till I get back...If we shoot anything we walk back and get the cart and anything we need to complete the task.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 07:00
Map and compass, as backup to GPS.

Fire starting, magnesium, flint, & striker, two lighters, birthday candles.

Signaling, whistle, 6 strobe type and 3 smoke fireworks (carried in old pellet can, lid also functions as mirror), head lamp and flashlight, extra batteries.

Shelter, emergency type of shelter(folded about half the size of sandwich) cloth deer bag (made out of bed sheet, besides normal use, stuff with pine needles or leaves for insulation), trash bag, plastic rain poncho(half the size of pack of smokes folded),electrical tape, extra pair of wool socks, hat, glove liners, and gloves. In fall/winter, I add down vest(compressed fits in gallon sized Ziploc), 8x10 lightweight painter's tarp.

First aid kit(minor trauma kit, field medic level), including extra heart meds, antibiotics, tea bag style blood clot bandage, alcohol swaps, antibacterial suave, aspirin, iodine, non-latex gloves, toothbrush (wound cleaning), scissors and suture kit.

TP in Ziploc, 1/4" rope 25', dental floss, multi tool, extra bootlaces, zip ties.

Emergency food & water, snack bars, squeeze pouches of juice, pouches of tuna/salmon, Qt. Ziploc bags(for both heart & liver and water treatment).

I add snacks and water, to be consumed during normal day.

Sounds like a lot, but packs down pretty small. Still leaves room in pack for shed clothes.

I've had to spend night out couple times, over the years, makes it more comfortable. I've also known a couple who didn't and know of more than a few who didn't. If you can spend the night in relative comfort, it makes foolish trip out, in bad weather or night less tempting.    

Edited by RobertMT
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 14:57
Robert,

It looks like you are very well prepared. I especially
like the idea about being prepared to spend the night
if needed.

I will add a compass and map. I think a couple game
bags would be better than trash bags for meat, but I
will keep a couple trash bags on my list.

I also forgot my hunting license and a ball point pen.

An extra pair of socks for sure. and gloves.

I hadn't thought about first aid.

And very important, I forgot to mention TP.

Any other ideas?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 16:55
I also carry in my shell holder on belt, tweezers & needle (cactus, thorns, splinters or first aid), couple lengths of flagging tape, dental floss, 2 Ziploc bags (field dressing, first aid or water use), piece of electric tape (taping on tag or first aid use), fire stick.

I've been known to drop pack, on final stalk and want gear on me, just in case, short stalk becomes longer. I've used tweezers many times, quicker you get cactus needles out the better. Needle to blister and piece of tape, can save hike. Might add moleskin to kit.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 06:54
You have given me some great ideas.

Thank You

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 07:33
I carry most of that stuff in ultra light weight
versions.

I also carry a pee bottle, I usually hunt from a stand
and especially bear hunting they can 'make you' on the
urine.

Also I am a diabetic so I have some M&Ms in a small
size. some of those packs are 6+ years old! I take
no insulin nor pills. Before the open heart surgery I
carried Nitro.

Lunch, if any thing is a can of smoked herring in oil
(might attract a bear, legally)!

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 15:42
I guess I should be more concerned about ounces of
weight in my pack.

I am more worried about pounds on my ass.

I have made a list from all of your suggestions. I am
gathering everything up now to see how big the pile is
so I can see how much room I will need.

Thanks for all the input.

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 19:26
Out of curiosity, I pulled pack from behind seat of truck and went through it. Replacing what went missing or out of date, updated list with updated content.

I weighed pack with everything less water, it weighed 6lbs. Add 4lbs for 2qts water, gets you to 10lbs and room for shed clothes.

Best as I can figure, main compartment is 11x15x5=825, second pocket, where everything (except tarp, deer bag, socks, gloves, hat, vest and water) fits is 8x6x3=144.
I guessing, they would call this 1,000 cubic inch or better, depending how tight you packed it.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 02:07
I do carry two Sudafed tablets in a sealed plastic
factory container. Always seem to get some
congestion/fluid when cold and in deep woods.   weight=
zero.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 04:16
Antihistamine like Benadryl is also good idea.

Aspirin is a must have, chewing a standard 325mg tablet, at first sign of heart attack, can dramatically lessen damage.      Aspirin
Since increased stress, on heart, while hiking and especially retrieving game, is a leading cause of heart attack and it's likely to be some time before treatment. It's something everyone needs to be aware of, not just people with known heart problems.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 04:59
Benadryl for bites and aspirin WILL be added.
thanks Robert
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 16:15
I have added them to my list too.

Thanks Robert
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 08:35
MRE's x2, toothbrush, Q-tips, thermos of coffee as I'm addicted, skeeter dope.   Just things I have above and beyond whats already been listed. Toenail clippers and a leatherman are also good ideas. Depending on the area, a good set of fish hooks and some spiderwire are a good bet as well. Double duty if you need to give yourself stitches or catch a quick meal. They can fit in a little plastic chew can for easy storage along with a few other little items that could easily get lost like flints, floss...etc.

Let us not overlook a few of the alcohol wet wipe packs. Not only to wipe the animal blood from our hands but to disinfect small areas of wounds, bites, and scratches to ward off infections. A good staph infection can take you out as quick as hypothermia.

I have some laundry style bags that are a cheese-clothe like material. They are awesome for packing meat and then can be put in garbage bags after to avoid the direct contact of meat to plastic. Little drawstrings are great on these.

My pack is a bit over fifteen pounds....due to the thermos of coffee and the required bourbon.....for emergencies of course! 
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 09:59
Fella's;

It is well known that being without bourbon is an
emergency!

900F
Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:10
How big and how heavy are MRE's? That might be good
for a lunch too.

I am thinking we have some of those laundry bags. I
will look at them. I have always used the disposable
game bags.

Coffee. I usually drink about a gallon of coffee
before I set out hiking. then water from there.

Thanks for the tips.

Wing master
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 14:25
You can find better tasting and cheaper food, by shopping creatively in grocery store. They have ready to eat food in pouches or plastic containers. Check between beans and soups, besides the canned pasta, they have stews, meats, fish, precooked rice and potatoes, fruits and veggies, in pouches instead of cans, shelf stable milk, in boxes, along with drinks.

Buy and try a couple MREs, for the price, you can get much better.   

RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 14:53
As far as giving yourself stiches, pressure bandage, quickclot, tape are all much more practical.

If you have training, you can carry more equipment, I carry a bit more and would suggest, if you know how to use it. It does no good to carry, what you don't know how to use.

For cheap practical carry, with syringe, tampons, maxipads, tape, plastic bag, non-lubed condom and know how, you can stop up leaks and restore airway, for some pretty major injuries.

Prep RX has links and some good articles, for those interested in more info.

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 17:19
Good points Robert.

I am not real picky about what I eat and don't plan on
being away from camp or a vehicle for more than a day.
If I pack a decent lunch I would be fine even if I had
to spend the night but it would be nice to have a few
pouches of some kind of protein and calories to be
more content if something happend that I had to spend
a night in the woods. I will check out the grocery
store.

I also don't have any training more than a first aid
class I took when I worked in the oil field. I don't
think I will be stitching myself up if I can put a
bandage on it and wrap it up. Anything else, I will
just deal with as it comes up.

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic