The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Loading for a .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading for a .308
    Posted: 26 April 2015 at 15:44

I finally got the .308 I have been wanting every since I can remember.

Today I was loading some different loads to use for load development.

I loaded Tikkabucks pet load using IMR 4895 with no problems. Then I wanted to try some IMR 4064 because I use it for a couple of other calibers, and have a bunch of it on hand.

I loaded some with 42.2 grains using 180 grain Sierras and everything went good. then the problems started. I wanted to load 46.1 grains of 4064 with 150 grain Sierra pro hunters and the powder filled the case right to the top. It would be a compressed load, and I wasn't any where close to max load.

I tapped the full cases on the bench and the powder might have went down a little but not very much. I reweighed the powder and got out a electric scale and checked it again and it was both scales read exactly the same.

Then I went down town and bought some Varget and loaded some with that. with no problems.

I am using new Lapua brass. it's not military brass. I even got out an old Winchester case and it filled it up the same amount.

Any ideas?

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 16:17
That much imr4064 should be compressed load. You can fit it in easier by pouring slowly in funnel and swirling it around. I tap side of case with pencil to settle last of powder in case. Once case is fire formed, you may get a little more volume. IMR4064 preforms very well in compressed loads, so I wouldn't worry too much. Max load of Varget should be a compressed load also.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 17:02

Ok Thanks Robert.

It's just that I never have loaded a compressed load. I was a little apprehensive about it. I will go ahead and load them.

I don't know how you would get another 2 grains in there to reach "max" load.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 19:09
By filling slow, long stick powder "stacks" in case, think hand full of pencils vs pick up sticks.
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 05:40

I guess so. If this is the load I go with I will have to build a long drop tube.

I am still hopeful that my gun will like Tikkabucks load. From the looks of the pictures of targets he shot with 2 different guns I have my hopes up. 'Cides that, Less powder, no muss no fuss.

tj3006 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA King Leui VX-III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:27
Lapua brass has thick walls,
     For 150 grain bullets try w 748 but load light with
lapua brass !   tj3006
Freedom 1st tj3006
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic