The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Looking For Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Thoughts
    Posted: 04 December 2014 at 12:51
Fella's;

I'm coming to the opinion that I need a dedicated scope for initial range work with a new gun, load development in other words. This won't be a competition scope, I don't do that, just a scope that can be put on many different guns, hopefully easily. Because it'll have to move around a lot, it can't have a huge objective lens, but it won't need one anyway. I'm pretty sure that most of it's work will be done in broad daylight. Obviously, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, think Nightforce, but neither do I want a Simmons 6-18X $125.00 special.

Most of my real concern is: What reticle and what mount? I'm not hugely concerned about what brand of glass, as long as it's a quality scope. I've kinda thought either Leupold (maybe the 6-18X VX2), Vortex, Nikon, or even Zeiss if the proper deal surfaced when I had the money. No Burris, no way, nohow.

What are your thoughts?

900F
Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 13:18
Redfield

Revolution

$ for $ I don't think you could do better
Between the three of us we must have 20 of them now, slowly changing all over to them, " all in".
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 13:51
Redfield, Leopold, Bushnell Elite or you might try the Millet on the low end.

I like the leupold 6.5-20x40, my go to scope.

My mounts are all Weaver sytle, some are Nightforce in the 30mm tubes. With the weaver style I can just change scopes in 20 seconds, and they return to zero. I prefer the Aluminum weaver style bases (not picatinny) as the Al 'fits the receiver perfectly, no binding.

Just my 2 cents
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 17:43
I just picked up another of these on Black Friday deal, $40 off + free rings and level.

I also have the 20X, for the price, very good glass and I really like the mil-quad reticles.

SWFA MIL-QUAD

Edited by RobertMT
Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 05:41
Fella's;

Upon doing a little research, it seems that not all of my preferred brands can deliver the goods. Zeiss is gonna have to put on a helluva sale before I could get one of their products for this purpose. Vortex can't give me the magnification range I want it seems without going to a 50mm objective lens. Too bad, good glass, but no sale here. Nikon has to get to the Monarch 7 line before they show what I want, and that's a budget issue once again. Leupold is looking like the only viable candidate at this time.

I did take a look at Redfield too. There's nothing in the Revolution line with enough magnification. When you go to the Revenge line, there is, but I've got serious concerns about a $250.00 buck scope for my application.

900F
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 06:17
Fella's;

Lesson learned, don't rely on a major retailer to have the full product line of something you want. That was Midway in this case. Once I went over to the Vortex site, I was able to find a scope that met my needs. But, of course, no price on it. The scope is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X 44mm and it can be had with a mil-dot reticle too. Unfortunately, the only other choice of reticle is a BDC type, not a fine cross hair.

Then I went looking for a retailer & the search came up with Camera Land, whom I've never done business with, but they are well known for optics on the net. As a side note, I first looked at Amazon. Amazon says that MSRP is $500.00, but I can get it through them for about fifty bucks off. At Camera Land, the same scope, with a sunshade and lens care kit is $349.99, or $350.00 for all practical purposes. The best it looks like anybody can do on the Leupold 6-18X VX2 in about $200.00 more.

Maybe Santa can stuff one in the sleigh? Probably not gonna happen though. Mrs. Santa thinks stuff like a new stove is more important. Ah well, save, save, save.

900FF

Edited by CB900F
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 08:26
Not sure about the Viper line of scopes; but Vortex isn't really a scope manufacturer. They just have scopes made with the Vortex brand on them. So as the real manufacturers vary, the quality varies also.

Most of the Vortex scopes I've seen were made in China or in the Phillipines. It is like buying a Cabelas scope; BUT you don't have any US company like Cabelas in the loop, just an importer, who is spending a pile of $$$ on advertising.

For me, no question, add the $200 and get the Leupold VX-2. remember CB this is your go to scope for testing.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 08:46
GOOD POINT !!!
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 12:27

Like Robert said look at the SWFA line. I don't know who makes them, but they come highly recomended by the long range shooters around here.

I have been looking at a scope for a long range gun I am working on and have heard mixed reports on vortex. Everybody talks about their warranty, but I would rather never find out.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 16:31

Wing;

I know what you mean.  Back when I was turning wrenches for a living, Craftsman and Snap-On both had the same warranty.  But with Snap-On, you never had to use it, they just didn't break under normal abuse.

900F

Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 17:18
FYI....Vortex is a WI based company That has some on their
Low end line come from Philipines complete and then some
on High end line from same place where they do the final
assembly in their WI plant. They get good reviews and are
said to have good customer service.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc_tutorials
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 13:18
I like Bushnell scopes with their Mil-Dot reticles
Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic