The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

shim stock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shim stock?
    Posted: 06 May 2014 at 15:25
anyone know a source of sheet shim stock?  I usually use beer cans but they are around .003 and I'd need to stack 3-4 of them to get it right.  I also use aluminum foils, but again a lot of layers.  From Brownells I bought some plastic that is pre-drilled with holes for the bases, but this is a grooved receiver and no base to shim under.  going to need to shim under ring/above dovetail/groove.  I've found some .010 sheet (perfect) but it is $58 and is 25 lifetime supply.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 18:22

I have a buddy that owns a machine shop. He usually hooks me up with a little peice of shim stock or drills a hole in really hard steel in trade for what I do for a living. ( I wash cars)

Just a thought. People will trade almost anything for a car wash coupon.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 19:34

I've used lead flashing to shim scope base.  I would expect a piece of lead could be hammered to right thickness.  Sinker?  Boolit?  Strap sinker off decoy?

I don't know how much strength you need, but even dead soft lead, is hard to compress.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 01:48

BEAR;

Go to the Leupold website, therein is a chart that will tell you what bases & rings fit the rifle application.  Plug in the appropriate information & then go get the bases & rings. 

With what you saved on that thing you could affort to buy stock in Leupold!

Or, do it the hard way & possibly bend the scope tube.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 05:36

What gun are we talking about?

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 06:06
cz 550FS.  sort of looks like that 7x57 manlicher style rifle you have wing.  You kow how toough it is for me to pass on a europ cartridge in a manlicher stock.  beautiful, even CB is making a 22 FS.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 07:51

Well, I was going to buy the Alaskan mounts for the CZ.

http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com/CZ-MED-LFT-LEVERS-CZ41LCZ41L/dp /B00BBJ4CVM?class=quickView&field_availability=-1&fi eld_browse=6386347011&id=CZ+MED+LFT+LEVERS+CZ41LCZ41L&am p;am p;ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2C color_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=6386347011&am p;am p;searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

But thought I'd try the CZ rings that came with the girl that I brought to the dance..the ones that Cb and I mounted in 60 mph winds  at the range in Big Sky country.  It wasn't my rifle that blew off the bench, adam was holding it down...not sure what was holding Adam down?

The CZ is interesting, 19 mm grooved receiver.  The stock is the hump-back euro design.  I had thought the rifle would not align with the stock on the scope, but actually the comb where you check it is high.  Most of the drop is rear of the cheek point!!!  that is why I was thinking of QD lever scope mounts.

Also, I'm not sure that another set of rings, Leupold, Alaskan, warne would solve the problem.  the scope is an old Leupold and has limited amount of vertical adjustment....so where the grooves are is where they are.  CB you are the CZ expert, are any of the mounts adjustable for elevation??

Edited by BEAR
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 08:42
Somting like dis ???

Rings ( U tube )

Midway Inserts
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 08:45

I understand. I have a a weakness for manlicher stocked rifles.

Does yours have a set trigger?

Wing master

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 09:12

Wing;

It has the single-set trigger of all of the CZ527/550 models. 

Bear, you know what the conditions were when we mounted the scope on it.  Tom sez that he thinks one set of the ring/base is taller than t'other.  Have you pulled the scope & rings off the gun & mike'd 'em?  If that's the case, there's the problem.  Then the only concern is finding the solution, which is probably to obtain a set of the Leupold items.

900F

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:00

mounts are correct height. and on the right base/receiver rings.

Dale those look like they will work, with the insert kit, thanks for the link.

Generally, set triggers are a hold-over from ancient times (pre1920) when they could not make a decent trigger.  But I do like them.  i've used them even on dangerous game.  Just takes just a second and instant hair trigger.  got them on my BRNO double rifle(aka Stomper).

Interesting, the CZ rings (I think they are actually Warne) do not contact the top of the action, only engage the dovetail grooves; so I could just sand/mill the front fingers down .010.  But really don't like this situation.

Of course I could throw another newer Leupold scope on this gun!!??

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 11:21

Bear;

A new Leupold VX-2 2-7X33mm should run something in the $350.00 range.  Something to think about.  Hell, the VX-3 1.5-5X 20mm is only about fifty bucks more.

900F

Edited by CB900F
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 11:55

I like Some of that ancient stuff better than new state of the art high tech stuff.

In fact I almost always like the old stuff better.

I like single and double set triggers.

Wing master

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 02:32

Just a follow up.

the CZ ring/mounts have a recoil lug built in the receiver, so you can't mount them wrong even if you wanted to. 

Hardly anyone makes mounts for CZ.

The Alaskan are great mounts and are what I was going to buy, until I got the factory mounts in the deal.  But with the dovetail grooves in the receiver they would need to be shimmed and then when QD in the field, you would sure loss the shim.

Dale, those Signature mounts would be PERFECT.  I spent an hour on the phone with the factory.  they know about the integral base problem of being "off spec" but don't intend to make the signature mounts 'specifix' to CZ 19 degree dovetail.

On the shim front.  I had forgotten the solution.  buy a old type feeler Gage for point setting in auto.  Perfect variety of shims ($3.99).

I spent some time on the Brownell chat/service line with Gayle, the optics lady.  She was very helpful, but her and a tech couldn't find anything except what I had already found/know.  but it was nice talking to her.

The only easy fix beside tapping the receiver, is a few people make a CONVERTER for the CZ mounts.  this looks like a one piece Weaver base but is milled on the bottom to fit a CZ dovetail.  good idea, then I could use Dales mounts perfectly.  but it will raise the whole scope about 1/4 inch.  Scope fit???

End of story almost!

Yesterday I shimmed between the receiver and the base of the rings (CZ rings do not bottom on the base but 'hang' from the clamps.

Went to the range to try it.  and to see how my eyes work with the open sights; no sense in getting QD mount system unless the opens are OK for me.

Happy ending.  after shimming, the rifle was on perfectly at 50 yards, 3 shots same hole.  One crank up for 100 yards and now I have 3 shots in one hole at 100 yards and 1.5 inches high.

doubt I'll be fooling with the scope mounts any more.  let some friends shoot it as the 9.3 is a little unusual.  three shooters at 100 yards, 6 shots total, under 1.1" inches.

loving it.  Big smile

Edited by BEAR
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 02:57

BEAR;

Good for you!  It's so nice to hear about a happy ending to the story.  Well, maybe it isn't the end of the story, what about the Maine trip for moose, bear, and vodka?

Will CZ be selling  more guns, perhaps to the folks who saw your results at your range?

900F

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 03:47

I'd hate to see more sales drive up the price of the CZ.

Trying to get the bear trip to Maine in the last week of September.  But also want to get some others into it, and they 'can't decide'.  so I figure on booking it on June 30th.

Why June 30th???  well part of my scheme was to sell tickets for a maine bear hunt to friends.  It is to support the "keep Maine bear huning alive" run by the maine guide association, as the antis have target Maine bears for years.  this even though Maine is so thick that the average tourist will only see the bears on the highway or at illegal baiting stations.

So the drawing on those tickets I sold is June 30th.  I figure anyone of my friends I sold the tickets to will want company!  then the 9.3 will get to shine more so!

The 286 bullets at reasonable speeds do drop fast, unlike the 400 grainers out of my 416 or the 190 grainers out of my 8mm, my other bear guns.

So I'm still playing with how to sight in?  Maine hunting is close, usually under 100 yards.  But wild boar in the south (hoping to get there in late june early July) can be up to 200 yards (or longer). Presently, I'm thinking the 9.3  will be:

50 yards  +1"

75 yards +1.4"

100 yards +1.2 "

125 yards  0.0

150 yards -1.25"

175 yards  -3"

200 yards   -7"

over that  WAG?

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 10:35

Bear;

Have you gotten a chance to chrono the load?  With your drop figures and speed, a B/C for the bullet can be derived.

900F

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 11:45

well, sort of gave my chronograph to the 'kid'; sort of a play thing.

However, tomorrow I'm going to try taking some max loads to the range and test them (without changing my midrange load sighting).

Been shooting the same loads that you and I shot in Montana in the tornado winds.  and that will fill all my North American needs.  It really isn't a flat shooter, nor did I expect it to be.  I've got a couple of 338 and 340 for flat shooting.  I think I might graph it beside the 416 mag  max loads that I've used on cape buff, griz and moose.  that is with a 400 grain bullet and loads more powder.

Goatlocker View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goatlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 06:26
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

So I'm still playing with how to sight in?  Maine hunting is close,
usually under 100 yards.  But wild boar in the south (hoping to get there
in late june early July) can be up to 200 yards (or longer). Presently, I'm
thinking the 9.3  will be:

50 yards  +1"

75 yards +1.4"

100 yards +1.2 "

125 yards  0.0

150 yards -1.25"

175 yards  -3"

200 yards   -7"

over that  WAG?

Hey bear, so what did you settle in for this rifle's sight-in? I don't know
the ballistic tables for the round you're shooting with it but am
wondering what your strategy is for the sighting. I'm thinking thus:
- 6" is probably fine for overall spread of hit on target for a point blank
sight-in with a center hold in target. That's 3" high at highest, 3" low at
lowest, all with a center hold on target.
- The question becomes, what is the max range for this load to achieve
this, and how high are you hitting at 50/100 yrds. I imagine from the
dara you gave above, that you could bump it up to 2" or so at 100 yrds,
not effect the 50 yrd so much, and end up extending the point blank
range to 200 yrds or better.
Goatlocker
Give me a fast boat for I intend to go in harm's way.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 00:24
Hi Goat, I think of this as a 200 yard round..MAX.

But I'm sort of a shoot close, and want to know how much to
hold over or under even at 100 yards. Might be crazy, but I
even hold 1" low at 100 yards. I seldom snap shoot, more
like a deliberate sniper.

I sighted it in just like the chart. results have been
good. Last November I head shot an elk at about 90 yards.
5 weeks ago I heart shoot a bear at about 80-90 yards. At
these typical ranges the difference between line of sight
and bullet was less than 1" and I did not compensate for it.

When sighting in I consider max range AND just as important
how close am I at TYPICAL range for my hunting situation.

I'm thinking that my bullet is Tooo strong for deer; might
need a softer bullet. Thinking of doing a New Brunswick
bear hunt next May, will have to rethink the bullet style
for close ranges, might just hollow point the 286 grain
bullets I've been using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic