The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Bowhunting and Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedBowhunter Roll Call

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bowhunter Roll Call
    Posted: 11 December 2003 at 14:26
Hey guys, i was wondering how many bowhunters there are here at this site. What kind of bow do you use? I was thinking for the 1,000,000th time to start bow hunting and i have a nice indoor shooting place, so why not? what kind of bow setups do you guys use? bows, arrows, sights, string silencers, all that stuff.

NH_Hunter
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2003 at 16:55

My bow du jour depends on if my bursitis is acting up at the time. I have an ancient compound I use when I have a flair up, and sometimes that's too much. Missed a chance at a five point bull in the front yard last year because of it.

My favorite play bow is an osage orange plains indian style bow, sinew backed, sinew string, with hand crafted arrows. It draws a bit over fifty pounds. I do use a wrist protector, and a finger guard.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2003 at 00:35

NH,

Had a PSE Nova one cam, and just upgraded to a Buckmaster G2 XL (were a gift from my dad).  I use Goldtip arrows (graphites), and have been using 125 gr. expandable broadheads (New archery Spitfires).  I have a whisker bisciut rest (Best type get one), and I still use a cobra sight, with a peep hole (best if your just starting - the peep).  Trophy Ridge now has the best sight, but I can't see blowing another 100 bucks.  I haven't bow hunted for a year or two with the bow.  Killin too many as it is with a rifle.

You're in for some real learning on how to setup tree stands if your going to learn how to bow hunt.  Best do it now while you have plenty of time, bow takes about twice as much time as rifle, maybe 3 times as much.

Spot

Edited by Spot shooter
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2003 at 11:04

For bowhunting here in NH i think the season starts in September, but i cant recall exactly. I know a nice little well used deer trail that i think i would setup on. A friend told me that i should get a climbing tree stand, so i think i will try that. I dont know whether or not if i have enough patience to hunt from a stand, and if not than i am almost always in bowrange hunting anyways, so i could try a little still hunting. BTW, thanks for the advice on the rest and the sight setup, i will add it to my list.

NH_Hunter

Leverguns make me smile
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2003 at 15:45

NH,

I'd stay away from a climber, pain in the arse - I had a warren & Sweat, nice one two but I sold it.

I'd go with either a ladder stand or a Api baby grand with a climbing stick.  If you go with the ladder go for 15 ft or 16, that's all you need.  First thing you do is get a "Seat-o-pants" safety belt (PERIOD) - then we can talk about the rest.  I've shot, arrowed, and slugged more deer out of my ladder stand than any other.

Why - CLimbers require straight tree's with no limbs - however this tends to put you in other trees like that and you stand out agains the skyline - bad mojo.  Clamp on's like the API Baby grand are great, a bit more dangerous, but will mount on any flat spot on a tree - troubles getting up an down - 90% of accidents happen getting into and out of the stand.  Ladder is the most flexible, it can be strapped on any tree with a flat spot, also you don't have to have a semi-straight tree to climb to reach it. 

Get the climbing harness first about 60 bucks, then pick up a good quality ladder and you don't need anything more.

Spot

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2003 at 16:02
Thanks for the advice. I always wondered about how people got those climbers up the right tree always. It always works on tv because they trim the limbs off so then they can use their sponser's climber. I will not go without a safety harness. I know how much it hurts when i fall 4 feet, i cant imagine 15 or 16 except it might be around 4 times as painfull and that is only if i hit the same way.

Also, what do silencers and stablizizers do? I have been looking around at cabelas and saw those two things but i dont know exactly what they do and why you want them.

NH_Hunter

Edited by NH_Hunter
Leverguns make me smile
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2003 at 06:46

NH,

The climbers need to be unlocked to get around limb's - NOT a safe thing to do since you have to lean up against the tree to manuver around the limb and the only thing holding the stand in a locked position is your own weight.  Most folks don't even belt up while they are going up, and with a climber going up takes longer, and is a good bit noiser than with the other types.  I acutally use a climbing rope (11 mm) and a decender on my belt while I'm going up and down.  The rig cost me an extra $60 bucks but if the whole works (stand and all) were to drop your hangin' from your harnes 15 to 30 ft up in a tree with a bunch of tree huggin' (and endorphin's) to look forward to.  With this rig if I fall I simple tighten up the descender rope, cut my teather to the tree and repell down.

For the stabolizers and silencers, cheaper bows are noisy - and a deer can jump the string if he's more than 20 yds' out.  These just help the bow be quiet when you let the release go.  Hey we forgot to talk about that one - do you plan on using a release?  It's easier (faster) to get your groups tight if you do.  However watch your lenght of draw on the bow, most folks tend to get a setting or bow with too long a draw length the first time they buy one. 

Spot

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2003 at 07:50
Spot, i was planning to get use a release. I am really considering the Browning Rage because of its 10" adjustable draw length so then i can get it just right for myself. I have been having trouble picking out a release, and over at huntamerica everyone has a different opinion on them so i dont know who to listen to. Some say T.R.U. Ball, some say Winn, some say Cobra. I just dont know which one to get. The other bow i was considering was the Reflex Gamegetter, but with the release, i have a feeling the draw would be too long for me.

NH_Hunter
Leverguns make me smile
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2003 at 18:58

Hey Jeff 

I was using a MacPherson custom built bow I had to go that way because of some injuries in the past,but now because of those same injuries getting worse and with age I'm a X-Bow hunter and boy do I wish I had My old bow back,X-Bows suck.Deadly but suck all the same.I'm a Muzzy broadhead freak if I'm hunting thats what I'll be using.I use a Tru-Ball release with a TM hunter rest on an overdraw and shoot 23" 3 vaned shafts on Easton xx75's,also use a stabelizer and dampners on the limbs all of which do allot balence and quitness,as for the sight I have messed with a few and my favorite in the Montana Black Gold which has one pin set at 20 yards and one at 40.

I use a Summit XLS with the cable system you can hang it on a tree without a sound and can pack it a long ways,I generally like to hunt 25 to 30 feet if possable if not I go as high as I can safely and if I'm on a tree my belt is on. One thing I don't care for when it comes to ladders is after a year or two in a good spot you can get back a ways and watch ,deer actually look in a stand thats been there awhile and can tell if someones in it a avoid it.

If I were in the market for a great off the shelve bow I'd look at Alpine Achery and Reflex both are an excellent choice,just try them all and get one that fits.

Edited by Tikkabuck
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
The_Mountaineer View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** West BY-GOD Virginian! **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2003 at 03:24

Ahh, so there are a few bowhunters here after all!

Not that I'm a crazed string and stick fella, but I do enjoy the long season.  I've killed whitetails, wild boar and eastern wild turkey with a bow.  I hunt with 3 bows depending on my mood.

My compound is a PSE Thunderflight at 72 lbs with muzzy broadheads and carbon arrows.

My Recurve is a Bear that draws at 55 lbs and I use wooden arrows and Zwickey broadheads

My Lonbow is a Pearson and draws at 52 pounds and I use the same arrows as for my recurve. 

I've only taken critters with a compound - been trying with a longbow for two years and have passed up several shots on deer because of management considerations but still have yet to tag one. 

Here's a pic of my gobbler taken with my old black bear compound bow:

Paritur pax bello - Peace is obtained by war.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2003 at 04:35

Just some thoughts.

I have a crossbow (age!), and a compound, and a recurve, and a longbow.  All work to kill deer, but the recurve is the best.  Light easy to handle in a ground blind or in a tree.  All have sights, including the old Ben Pearson long bow.  Just my style.

Buy a known brand, PSE is good.  Keep it simple...don't buy all the junk that folks recommend.  A single pin sight is all you need, no overdraw, etc.

NH you read and listen a lot, so you will have more ideas than most.  Again...keep it simple.  Get a simple decent rig, and then practice, practice, practice.  Like you hear in the gun world, if at first you get the super ultra high velocity mag with a 6-24 scope and bipod......you will not improve your chances of getting a buck over the 30-30, or the 7-08.  Ability and skill means ten times more in bow hunting than equipment.  The used market is great, cause you get a sight, rest etc...at a good price.

Tree stands, I could write a book about types and proper use.  But 'spot' has it right....safety first.  I'd even suggest you use a camo cloth ground blind for the first few years.  Not because of the safety...although that is primary.  But because new hunters usually can't shoot well in the physical restraint of a stand.  Lots of older bow hunters can't either!!!

If you want to hunt from a stand, whatever kind (and ladders are a good starting point if you are young and strong and hunt private lands).  PRACTICE FROM THE STAND....unfortunately few hunters do this.  all that is required is a portable target.  Set the stand up on a tree in the back yard, about 1 foot up.  Sit their and shoot an arrow every minute from the sitting position.  After you can shoot it as good from the low stand as from your two legs, move it up 10 foot (with belt on) and practice that way.  I'll never understand why most hunters take their first shot from a stand at a deer.  cripples.

BEAR  

SteelyEyes View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2003 at 16:55
I have a Mathews FX. It's three years old. I've killed three elk with it. I'm not really a bow hunter, I'm a hunter that sometimes uses a bow.
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2004 at 11:45

Well, i am back in the hunt for a bow. Just remembered that i will get my license in Sept, and that is when the deer season starts. That means that i can go out hunting every day after school and hunt until dark. I only hunt one area, and i know where a couple trails are. I am goign to start scouting coming up shortly. Its about time i shoot a deer! it is getting ridiculous!

NH_Hunter

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2004 at 03:05

NH get practicing.

If you get a chance get a rubber chest exerciser (cheap) and start on those mussles.  Winter turns things to mush, and you can spend 10 minutes a day - - -BEFORE you get on the 'puter exercising.

It will help you get to hold the box weight..............and ...........maybe a few 'chicks' will start to look your way on the beach this summerWink

BEARWink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic