The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedATV shopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATV shopping
    Posted: 21 June 2003 at 09:11

Currently have a 93' Polaris 350 4-wheel drive.  It's a pretty good old machine, but even in low range it really doesn't have a "granny gear".   Looking for something that will get down and dig, not interested in a lot of top end speed.  A mule instead of a racehorse, so to speak.  Something with metal racks, not plastic, that I can bolt sh** to.  Currently have a couple of dry boxes up front, gun rack on the bars, and a lift winch on the rear (for picking up and toting deer-I'm too old for that lift 'em up/drag 'em out crap!)

Recommendations?

bkcorris View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Cheesehead Savage

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2003 at 15:49
I've got a Suzuki Ozark 250 2x4. Top end is about 45, 1st gear is very low. I put a rope on a log I couldn't lift even one end of by hand and it pulled it 300 yards accross the feild. Front and rear racks are powder coated steel, front bar has a winch mount. Easily climbs a 45 degree incline. If I could have afforded it, I would have maybe gone up an engine size or two. I got it for about $3400 and have been very pleased with it so far. Not sure if that helps, sounds like you may want to stick with a 4x4 if you really want to dig.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2003 at 17:35
you guys have NO IDEA what you just started!!!
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2003 at 01:30

Pedestal;

If I remember correctly, you're down in the Piney's.  Not sure that what works up here in Montana would be the best thing down there.

Unfortunately, I think the archive of threads from an older incarnation of BSB are lost.  What Tasunk commented upon is a thread on this same subject that 'burned' rather brightly for a long time.  It seems as though there is some disagreement amongst the boys in the baitshop as to the right of ATV's to inhabit the earth & their riders to continue to breath.  Keyboards were smashed to smithereens with the force of pounding fingers waxing wroth over the net.

It was moderately amusing from the sidelines.

However, it appears as though the fire may have died.  Your post has been up for several days & the lightening has not struck.  Then again, not much comment of a productive nature either.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Pedestal View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 12:30

CB990F,

Not wanting to start a flame war, just looking for honest feedback.  I'm not wedded to any particular brand.  I found the comment on the Suzy interesting, because where I am, they seem to belong to the go fast crowd, not the "working" crowd...

bkcorris View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 15:01
Pedestal,

I also have an older 'Suzy' Quad Racer that will go 85+. That kind are the reason for the fear of fire from Tas & CB!

Edited by bkcorris
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 15:03

Pedestal;

I know you weren't looking to start one.  Just trying to not let you get surprised if some of the more opinionated members decided to cut loose again.

900F

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 15:05

BKC;

Uh-uh, not me. 

900F

bkcorris View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 15:16
CB,

I said fear of fire, not fire starter. Either way, I'll attest that you were just a bystander.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 15:25

bystander? perhaps.....

"innocent" bystander? you've got to be kidding!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Bronco View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2003 at 16:00
Here goes----I have a 1994 Kawasaki 400 Bayou. 4x4 full time, gears ( low,1-4), Reverse. Does'nt go real fast (45-?). But it will climb anything as long as you can set it. Goes in snow rather well. Just what an old guy like me can handle.  Bronco
My Father didn't bring me into this world to become #2 on the food chain.
Pedestal View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2003 at 12:55

Originally posted by Bronco Bronco wrote:

Here goes----I have a 1994 Kawasaki 400 Bayou. 4x4 full time, gears ( low,1-4), Reverse. Does'nt go real fast (45-?). But it will climb anything as long as you can set it. Goes in snow rather well. Just what an old guy like me can handle.  Bronco

Does "4x4 full time" mean you can't shift to 2 wheel drive? And I assume it's a shift, not auto clutch?? (My Polaris is auto-I think I'd prefer a shifter)

Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2003 at 16:58
Nothing wrong with a polaris, we have them at work, and if I told you what they used them for, you'd have yours bronzed. If you are looking for a real ATV that's not fast, but can haul more that it weighs, has a detachable steering wheel (so you can hide behind it if you're under fire) and has an air cooled continental horizontle opposed, air cooled, engine and for a small fee, can be had with ALL attachments including spare tire, winch, tool box, and extra seat for one more passenger, look no further that the US Army M-274 Mule. If you're interested, I can get you the website, or tash can if he archived the old cache before we got this far. Incidentally, it has 60% gradeability, something that current 4 wheelers don't have. I bet muleskinner swallowed his "chaw" when he saw this thread.
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Pedestal View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2003 at 01:39

Kingpin:

Now that sounds like an interesting vehicle.  Although, looking at a HumVee I suspect it might be a bit wide..  But never saw one.  And I have to admit I've never been under fire from a whitetail-but you never know!

Bronco View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2003 at 08:31

Pedestal: It's in 4 wheel drive all the time; Has auto clutch, but you shift it manually. Also is water cooled.

Have plow for it, need to build mounts and controls. Should have that done before it snows. Has metal racks. Wll have build a gun case. My Sharps won't fit in a store bought one. Pretty good rig for it's age.    Bronco

My Father didn't bring me into this world to become #2 on the food chain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic