The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.22 WMR for self defense

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 09:14

All things being the same, and good shooting as some guns are, I do NOT advocate using it as a defense gun. Possibly a back up, but nothing else...................Kingpin

Edited by Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Mickey Rat View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 20:25
I'm thinking about a S&W 351 22 mag for carry. I have a 317 22lr. I
don't expect to get in a massive gun battle. A gun of any size can save
you if you use it well. My arthritis makes racking slides difficult and my
Diamond Back 9 mm is hard on me. Weight is a big thing in daily carry.
Too many ccw carry too heavy a gun and end up going without a gun.
A guy in Dothan, AL (my home) dropped a guy with 1 22 short out of an
American Arms. Bang, DRT bad guy. A head shot did it. The incident
was in the Armed Citizen colum.
My current carry is a KelTec 32 with silver tips and a CT laser & belt
clip. 10.7 oz with an extended mag. I carry the 317 to have a 22 on
hand for plinking and small game opportunities.

Mickey   Rat       
Citizen of Alabama        NRA Life Member
Mickey Rat View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 20:28
A good friend of mine's dad carried a 22 mag rifle on horseback when
punching cattle in his younger days. He used it for deer hunting and
killing crazed/ injured cows. He says it works great on deer if you place
it right. Mr. Roscoe was a good shot.
Mickey   Rat       
Citizen of Alabama        NRA Life Member
Dennis Keith View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 03:37
During World War 2 ammo at home was one of the things that was rationed. A old fella went to the store for 30-30 ammo and asked for two. Fella said he couldn't have two boxes, old timer said Two Boxes! I need two ROUNDS, there's only a two deer limit. HE got his two rounds, and bagged his two deer as well.
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 10:41
Ray
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 17:43
Pricey little bugger. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 04:29
I have a fondness for the lil' .22 lr that comes from its flexibility and low noise, plus a lot of nostalgia about my wasted youth roaming the hills with a Sears rifle.  I bought a CZ452 and topped it off with a Leupy FX4 RF last year.  Took it to the range and couldn't believe the difference ammo made.  For the purposes I got the rifle for, I decided on the Federal Game Shok HV 40 gr., with the CCI Mini Mag a close 2nd choice.  All the hyper-velocity rounds were inherently less accurate in my gun.  I figure I'm all set to become a serious tree rat threat once again, although the ones I see nowdays look scrawny compared to those of my mis-spent youth.  Oh well, skinny squirrels are more challenging to shoot.

Hell, I nearly forgot - I was going to say that Taurus has a nice 22lr/22wmr revolver out that looks interesting.  If they only made it with a titanium cylinder and frame I'd have one already.

Edited by Muleskinner
Mule
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 06:27

Mule;

It's also been my experience that hyper-velocity .22 rimfire ammo as a class just doesn't tend to group as well as the slower stuff.  That being said, if you can get a box of Winchester's PowerPoints I'll suggest you try it out.  It's a 40 grain HP at an advertised 1280 fps.  From my CZ452 it'll clock around 1250 over the chrono & does so consistently.  I've gotten excellent accuracy in my gun, but I know that not all CZ452's like it.  The terminal effects are superior to just about anything else on the market from my experience.

I've got a couple of .22 rifles that like it, & all of them show remarkable accuracy with it.  I do understand that it's kinda hard to get though.  You might have to buy a brick if your outlet of choice doesn't regularly stock it.  But, test it in all your rifle 'cause if you've got more than a couple of guns odds are at least one of 'em will like it.  I buy it by the case now.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 14:03
.22's in handguns are loud, no matter what kind you shoot.
Hyper velocity ammo is alright, but certainly not tack
driving quality. I guess it will hit minute of squirrel,
but like anything else, limitations come into play, meaning
that the further out you shoot, the squirrels should get
bigger...................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
jh45gun View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jh45gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 15:35
That Keltec 22 mag would be one hell of a defensive weapon  no one can get them they are back ordered all over the country, but our Local Friends of the NRA which I am co chair is raffling one off for our early bird raffle and we are trying to get one more to auction off at our event. These guns are as light as a feather have great fiber optic sights and comes with two 30 round mags now that is 60 rounds of in my estimation serious fire power in a small light package. The 22 mag is a hell of a round for its size and kills deer with no problem so I figure as a defense round with that many rounds you sure as hell would not be under gunned. I hope I win the one we are raffling off. These so far are so hard to come by the highest auction bid I have heard so far is 900 bucks. A dealer told me he heard of one going for 700 on auction. 
In times of tyranny and injustice when law oppresses the people, the outlaw takes his place in history
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic