The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SouthPaws > The Left-Handed Sportsman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

I’m Gonna Be Smithing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m Gonna Be Smithing.
    Posted: 27 December 2010 at 14:01

Fella's;

After some research, I've decided to do some up-grades on the CZ's.  I've ordered a tool to make taking the bolt apart much easier, and there's a reason for that.  It was both inexpensive ($10.00) and handy.  I'm replacing the firing pin springs in the guns.  I'm also replacing the screws that hold the action to the stock with allen headed units.  It really is much easier to get a repeatable torque value with the allen head screws than it is with the slotted heads for flat blade screwdrivers.  Besides, there's a lot less chance of slipping & having a flat blade screwdriver bit go skating across a blued finish, or worse yet, nice walnut.

The stuff is coming from Boise Idaho, so the shipping time should only be a coupla days maximum.  OTOH, we are dealing with Mr. Obama's very own postal (sorta) service. 

In any case, I regard the cost as moderate for the improvements and am anxiously awaiting the chance to fuss with my guns.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 15:01
so why are you replacing the firing pin springs???? Do I a
have a problem in the making????

Edited by Irish Bird Dog
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 16:05

IBD;

I waded through a very extensive thread about ignition/accuracy on Rimfire Central.  Considering the very modest cost of the spring & bolt tool, I decided to do it on my guns.  I know of no reason whatsoever that you'd have a problem with your gun if you don't do it.  The whole idea is to increase the accuracy of the CZ452 platform.  Reliability is not an issue according to the many pages I went through.  The really nice thing is that it does not affect the trigger pull, just the firing pin strike force.

900F 

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 16:54
Interesting.........does the gain ie increased accuracy
come from faster lock time??? Keep us posted as to how
it
goes and if you can tell any difference in accuracy after
the spring change. Wolf spring or Brownell's or ????
Never
mind....I hopped over to the rimfire central site and
found
it is J&P springs...must be custom outfit as I never
heard
of them...been reading some of the posts..shor are some
great testimonials out there for the spring change
out....gunna be a long read....but then it's gunna be a
long winter too.....take care CB & thanks for mentioning
this bit...now is the tool named out there or do you have
to get that info for me???? NEVER MIND...JUMPED BACK
OVER THERE AND FOUND THAT INFO TOO.

Edited by Irish Bird Dog
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 17:42
cb...THAT site over at rimfire central is
interesting....sure makes factory springs seem pretty
poorly....
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 01:56

IBD;

I certainly think that the factory firing pin spring is good enough for general use.  Some of the BRNO's, made in the fifties, are almost certainly using the same spring and they're still going strong.

But, considering the improvements in accuracy that are possible for under $25.00 (spring, plus bolt tool, plus shipping) I think it's worth trying.  I got a set of the action screws too, which about doubled the amount, but what the hell, ya know?

900F

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 01:58
Clap
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 09:17
I watched one of the videos posted on that thread and it
showed using a valve cap from a tire as the "tool" to push
the end of the bolt on to get it apart....worked too....a
good review of how to disassemble the bolt & back again.

Parts of that thread also said (by the J&B guy) that the
factory springs take a set and get "shorter" ie weaker over
time. So, if that is true than surely would be worthwhile
to do the spring change out. They also polished the mating
parts too. Let me know how yours turns out.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:14
I'm not changing the springs in my BRNO!!!!

Edited by BEAR
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 12:58

Bear;

So what BRNO you got?  I gotta warn you, if you go over to Rimfire Central & get in the CZ/BRNO site, you'll find you why we refer to it as "the ward".

900F

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 11:36

Fella's;

Today, I changed out the firing pin springs in my CZ452's.  Using the Bolt Buddy was a small chore, but not difficult to figure out.  I didn't find the video I located to be a great deal of help.  Fortunately, if you're mechanically inclined, it doesn't take a whole lot of thought to figure it out.

Now, on to changing out the action screws.  And that's such a minor process that it needs no further mention.

What I am gonna do, is wait for warmer weather before going to the range!  It's damn cold out there with a whole bunch of snow on the ground.  I got a solid drift up against my back door that's almost as high as the window!  And that's in a sheltered patio area too.

900F

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 20:27
CB,        I have a Brno Brunner Model   ZH349, double rifle.  It is in 8x57 jrs which is simply a 8x57 mauser.  I bought it in germany a few years back.  In the USA they only import it in 458 mag, but I wanted something more huntable in the US.  It has double triggers and a set trigger on one barrel.  Heavy, but both barrels shoot sub MOA (not to the same POI unfortunately).  but I've killed some wild boar and plenty of whitetails with it. 
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 05:07

Bear;

No, I don't think I'd fool with that myself.  "A man's got to know his limitations."  A quote well worth paying attention to.

OTOH, I'm delving into the innards of my 77/22 & am replacing the factory sear witha Volquartsen unit & trigger spring.  I may make a trigger overtravel stop for it too. 

I mean, a guy's gotta find something to do when it's cold enough to freeze the snot in a reindeer's nose right? 

900F

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 06:42

Originally posted by CB900F CB900F wrote:

I mean, a guy's gotta find something to do when it's cold enough to freeze the snot in a reindeer's nose right?  900F

YUP

like get a set of wind proof wool bibs and go call coyotes!!!!

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 06:52

MYCAWDS  in February???

I have wind prood wool pants!

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 06:58

Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

MYCAWDS  in February???I have wind proof wool pants!

Why wait till February ? I saw a gopher the day after Christmas and we have already gone out shooting Prairie dogs...

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 07:01

Bear;

I'm a-gonna let you in on a little secret.  This here's the real deal, & if you thinks about it just a bit, you'll know it's true.

If he's raggin' on me about gettin' out & callin' coyotes by typing messages like that there, he ain't out callin' coyotes his own self.  Which could be taken, by low-life suspicious folks, as the pot callin' the kettle "black".  If ya knows what I mean.

It's a sad old world, & I think I'll go to the creek & drown my sorrows.

900F

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 07:29

Well, with all that cold and snow I hear about...those gophers must be 2 foot down under the snow or have snowshoes?

The Creek is calling me...but my blood sugar is going wild....so I'll sit here (12o outside) and watch the buck eating in my back yard while I play 'smith and adjust triggers!

This cast is really holding me back.  flintlock season yesterday.  no range time, except firing a little 22 flip-up P---y auto, that I'd be embarrassed to pull out of my sling in a gun fight.

I'm so cabin happy, next week I'm going to start shooting the 38 J-frame.  but it will be left handed and I'm going to shoot it with the gun sideways...the way the real bad guys do in the movies.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 07:45

Originally posted by CB900F CB900F wrote:

If he's raggin' on me about gettin' out & callin' coyotes by typing messages like that there, he ain't out callin' coyotes his own self.    900F

I hunt and fish 4 days a week ,work 2 and spend Sunday with the wife... Today is Sunday she is in here sewing and I'm "With her"

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 07:49

How devotedClap

But we know you also fish with her.  And I hear she catches more and bigger fish than you.Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic